KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Older stories better plot?

Older stories better plot?
Started by: Astner

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Older stories better plot?

Yesterday I was reading some old Spider-man stories (Amazin Spider-man #90-100)
And found to my suprize that they're actually a lot better than the new stories printed.
Of course the new stories have a lot better art and colors, but the actual plot is not as good, more action but less depth.

Thoughts?

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 05:26 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
B.A
Restricted

Account Restricted

So action >>>> plot is what your saying.

Interetsing.

Respect Apollo Respect Black Goliatch

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 05:29 AM
B.A is currently offline Click here to Send B.A a Private Message Find more posts by B.A Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I've been reading The Avengers Classic and have found the stories to be good.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 05:43 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

In the old days, they just tried to cram in as much plot as possible, to justify your 35 cents. Now, the general movement is multi-part stories with lighter plotting and more room for character.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 05:44 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Journey into Mystery is a great read

thank u bz

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 06:19 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tjcoady

Stories are paced for the TPB's these days. Silver age stories were designed to get kids- actual children read comics back then, unlike today- hooked on the concept. They moved lightening fast; you'd get all of the exposition and backstory you needed in three panels, and the rest would be sheer awesome.

Nowadays, stories move way, way slower.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 09:05 AM
tjcoady is currently offline Click here to Send tjcoady a Private Message Find more posts by tjcoady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by tjcoady
Stories are paced for the TPB's these days. Silver age stories were designed to get kids- actual children read comics back then, unlike today- hooked on the concept. They moved lightening fast; you'd get all of the exposition and backstory you needed in three panels, and the rest would be sheer awesome.

Nowadays, stories move way, way slower.

*Looks at House of M*

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 09:32 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tjcoady

Originally posted by grey fox
*Looks at House of M*

I have no clue how anyone could possibly have liked House of M. The only- only- good part was seeing Stark running around with that giant-ass gun when all the heroes attack Magneto. I mean, it was a sweet concept too- how did it go so horribly wrong?

Well, I guess we got Layla Miller out of it, which is a plus. and the House of M- Avengers by Christos Gage is damn good. Number one just came out last Wednesday and I couldn't have been more down. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Mockingbird, Tigra, and pretty soon Punisher and Misty Knight? That's my Avengers dream team right there.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 09:40 AM
tjcoady is currently offline Click here to Send tjcoady a Private Message Find more posts by tjcoady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Speaking of big ass guns, how about "X-men die by the sword?"

Apparently Morph, sabretooth and thunderbird are capable of dealing more damage to MJJ than the entire Britannia corps beating him.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 10:51 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Originally posted by llagrok
Speaking of big ass guns, how about "X-men die by the sword?"

Apparently Morph, sabretooth and thunderbird are capable of dealing more damage to MJJ than the entire Britannia corps beating him.

Have you never heard of Claremont Logic? Any Claremontized character(A character long enough under CC's pen) is capable of punking another Claremontized character. Logic has no place in comics. That's why Storm and Psylocke are the business. Damn I forgot Sage...Sage >> Storm and Psylocke put together.

Anyway they got him off one comic already. All that's left is his New Exiles and that Future X-Men series/maxi series left and that's bound to fail so I expect to see him out of Marvel by the end of next year.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 12:27 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Priest

Originally posted by Badabing
I've been reading The Avengers Classic and have found the stories to be good.

oh hell yeah.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 01:06 PM
Priest is currently offline Click here to Send Priest a Private Message Find more posts by Priest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I do think characterization has gotten much better, though. I've read Claremont's early work on X-Men with Dave Cockrum - cringeworthy lines and hokey stories. I think the release of Star Wars in 1977 changed so much of the Sci-Fi & Fantasy medium. Stories became more serious and the look of the hardware got WAY better. The Shi'ar Empire owes a lot to the look of Star Wars. Cerebral writing in the pre-Alan Moore days, you'd have to look at Doug Moench's MASTER OF KUNG FU or Roy Thomas on CONAN.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 05:03 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Have you never heard of Claremont Logic? Any Claremontized character(A character long enough under CC's pen) is capable of punking another Claremontized character. Logic has no place in comics. That's why Storm and Psylocke are the business. Damn I forgot Sage...Sage >> Storm and Psylocke put together.

Anyway they got him off one comic already. All that's left is his New Exiles and that Future X-Men series/maxi series left and that's bound to fail so I expect to see him out of Marvel by the end of next year.

one can only hope...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 19th, 2007 06:35 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote