KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What's more important:- national security or human rights

What's more important. National security or human rights?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
National security 2 10.00%
Human rights 9 45.00%
a bit of both 8 40.00%
Lets make it a police state and get it over with. 1 5.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What's more important:- national security or human rights
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

What's more important:- national security or human rights

This is an issue nowadays seeing as people get locked up without trail, tortured and can be branded a terrorist for minor things like demonstrating.

I personally think they are taking more control, and getting rid of many human rights by over-selling the terrorist threat.

Last edited by Bicnarok on Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 04:03 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

There is a happy equilibrium. As technology gets better, less freedoms will have to be infringed on. Facial recognition software is improving as computing power and software improves....

Hmmm...some people say that the tracking chips in the national drivers licenses are an infringement on privacy...I agree but I also see the other side of the story...how many lost or endangered people can we find with that?...

It is REALLY hard to think of everything and compromise.

When facial recognition software is perfected, people will modify how their face looks with prosthetics...and so on and so forth.

I am rambling now....

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 07:31 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Re: What's more important:- national security or human rights

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
This is an issue nowadays seeing as people get locked up without trail, tortured and can be branded a terrorist for minor things like demonstrating.

I personally think they are taking more control, and getting rid of many human rights by over-selling the terrorist threat.

just as they've been planning it for decades.

and its only going to get worse smile

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 07:39 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Deano, let me ask you something.

Supposing everything you've ever believed, every conspiracy theory is right, then what?

You'll suffer the same fate as everybody else, with the only difference being that you've spent a lifetime worrying.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 07:49 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lemon Meringue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: What's more important:- national security or human rights

Originally posted by Bicnarok

Whear do peple get toturedd?

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 10:40 PM
Lemon Meringue is currently offline Click here to Send Lemon Meringue a Private Message Find more posts by Lemon Meringue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Supposing everything you've ever believed, every conspiracy theory is right, then what?

You'll suffer the same fate as everybody else, with the only difference being that you've spent a lifetime worrying.

-AC

"I told you so" bragging rights? I'd do it for that, tell me you wouldn't wink

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Nov 24th, 2007 12:12 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Captain King
Jim Profit

Explain these rights.

What rights are being taken away? I'm not saying you're not losing rights. I want to know what sortof rights you think we're losing, and what makes it worth jepordizing the lives of your family and friends.

Because frankly, my life hasn't changed much pre and post 9-11.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2007 12:40 AM
Captain King is currently offline Click here to Send Captain King a Private Message Find more posts by Captain King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by Captain King
Explain these rights.

What rights are being taken away? I'm not saying you're not losing rights. I want to know what sortof rights you think we're losing, and what makes it worth jepordizing the lives of your family and friends.

maybe one day youŽll be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up in a very small cell, and get asked questions you cannot answer get your past dug up and inspected and lets face it everyoneŽs done something daft in their past.

Torturing isnŽt allowed in the sense of the NaziŽs "cutting bits off" and all that horrific stuff. But there are other unpleasant techniques which are readily used. Sleep depravation, being forced to sit in odd positions for long periods and other "borderline" techniques.

The best argument for these national security based measures is that "if youve got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear". But if the government in charge of all these measures doesnŽt like you for some reason, maybe like that Kelly bloke who was unearthing the WMD lies, youŽll get bumped off!!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 10:38 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

Human Rights, okay?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:37 AM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingTech

In my opinion human rights must be protected but in any case national security issues are more important . There should be no compromise on national security.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 12:08 PM
KingTech is currently offline Click here to Send KingTech a Private Message Find more posts by KingTech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: What's more important:- national security or human rights

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
Whear do peple get toturedd?

China, America, Russia, the other fairly major powers in the world, where dictators are, in christian countries, in Islamic countries, I could go on, but instead I'll just say this: Every place where fanaticsm (is that a word?) has taken over, whether by money, greed or religion, or anything else.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 03:51 PM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

no one has to suffer any fate. because if people wake up and smell the coffee, then they cant manipulate us anymore. game over, at last

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 06:28 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by Captain King
Explain these rights.

http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2...s-sleeping.html
http://www.nwotruth.com/man-tasered...to-sign-ticket/
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.co...ives/12921.html

what if that was you or someone you loved?

i think you would be angry and would want justice. let me tell you that in the near future, this sort of behaviour will be permitted more often and there wont be a damn thing you can do.

Then what you going to do? Say, 'oh well i didnt get affected at the time, i wasnt aware enough to understand what was happening'

So tell me what are you going to do when a certain situation in the new world effects you, and your powerless to do nothing at all.

Consider the cosequences for the future, and look where we are heading

Last edited by Deano on Nov 25th, 2007 at 06:36 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 06:33 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Deano
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2...s-sleeping.html
http://www.nwotruth.com/man-tasered...to-sign-ticket/
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.co...ives/12921.html

So tell me what are you going to do when a certain situation in the new world effects you, and your powerless to do nothing at all.

Thats why i Breed Polar bears. No one wants to fvck with a Polar bear, especially with a laser canon strapped on its back. So...,im good

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 07:32 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Human Rights is always more important. But where does one draw the line for our safety.. sad

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 07:36 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

National security is more important. I mean, having bigger bombs is what makes all the top nations respected

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 03:23 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

I think what is funny is that "national security" tends to be more for major cities and the such. Terrorism is not gonna extend to Buckunham, AL so why would they care? Then again, they do not have a voice on the national stage.

In terms of a complete popular vote, I would almost certainly say human rights are more important.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 05:42 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I have never liked that people see national security and human rights (I am assuming here you mean Individual rights) as polar opposites.

The only reason why we should have national security is to defend individual rights. In this frame of thought, they are both tools to arriving at the same end, namely the protection of individual liberty.

So, to reply more directly, the actions taken by ANY government in order to repress individual rights is AGAINST national security. Why? Well, lets look at Mr. Bush. He has repeatedly abused individual rights for reasons he justified as being in the interest of national security. There are 2 main groups that he has oppressed, foreigners and domestics. With regard to the foreigners, removing their individual rights has only managed to create more enemies for America, and to harden their resolve. There is no inhumane treatment that will destroy the will of people to fight America. With regard to domestics, the continued oppression (wire tapping, etc.) and the silencing of descent has polarized the American political scene. The biggest threat to national security that this poses is that the people of America are (rightfully) skeptical and unwilling to follow the president on more "national security" ventures. While immediately this is ok, suppose war (or other military action) with another nation were necessary (like Iran or Saudi Arabia). People will be less willing to support it, and thus it may never be done correctly. Another example of this may be Iraq. By misleading the public and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis the government has destroyed support for maintaining the occupation of Baghdad, even though (and admittedly it is Bush's own fault) it may be in the best interests of American national security for them to stay the course (though not prior to invading, and recent events in Iraq should make people optimistic of the Iraqis ability to self govern responsibly).

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 05:59 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

* Yes, I did mean individual rights.

Damn, I was going to make that post nearly verbatim.

I agree wholeheartedly. I find it hard to not see them as intertwined. In application, they are very, very closely connected.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 06:10 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Long term U.S. occupation of Iraq (WTF!)

Did not want to just make a new topic.

How can you sign a deal and then fill in the details a year later?

This is some uber bullshit

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 09:33 PM