KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Hey Bloigen.

Hey Bloigen.
Started by: Röland

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Hey Bloigen.

Ketchup or Catsup?

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:21 PM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ketchup was one of the earliest names given to this condiment, so spelled in Charles Lockyer’s book of 1711, An Account of the Trade in India: “Soy comes in Tubbs from Jappan, and the best Ketchup from Tonquin; yet good of both sorts are made and sold very cheap in China”. Nobody seems quite sure where it comes from, and I won’t bore you with a long disquisition concerning the scholarly debate on the matter, which is reflected in the varied origins given in major dictionaries. It’s likely to be from a Chinese dialect, imported into English through Malay. The original was a kind of fish sauce, though the modern Malay and Indonesian version, with the closely related name kecap, is a sweet soy sauce.

Like their Eastern forerunners, Western ketchups were dipping sauces. I’m told the first ketchup recipe appeared in Elizabeth Smith’s book The Compleat Housewife of 1727 and that it included anchovies, shallots, vinegar, white wine, sweet spices (cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg), pepper and lemon peel. Not a tomato in sight, you will note — tomato ketchup was not introduced until about a century later, in the US, and caught on only slowly. It was more usual to base the condiment on mushrooms, or sometimes walnuts.

The confusion about names started even before Charles Lockyer wrote about it, since there is an entry dated 1690 in the Dictionary of the Canting Crew which gives it as catchup, which is another Anglicisation of the original Eastern term. Catchup was used much more in North America than in Britain: it was still common in the middle years of the nineteenth century, as in a story in Scribner’s Magazine in 1859: “I do not object to take a few slices of cold boiled ham ... with a little mushroom catchup, some Worcester sauce, and a pickle or so”. Indeed, catchup continued to appear in American works for some decades and is still to be found on occasion.

There were lots of other spellings, too, of which catsup is the best known, a modification of catchup. You can blame Jonathan Swift for it if you like, since he used it first in 1730: “And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo, catsup, and caveer”. [Caveer is caviar; botargo is a fish-based relish made of the roe of the mullet or tunny.] That form was also once common in the US but is much less so these days, at least on bottle labels: all the big US manufacturers now call their product ketchup.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You were adopted.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:21 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
taft
that guy

GODDAMN NINJAS

Sig by Barker. He takes requests!!!! PM HIM Tell him I sent you.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:22 PM
taft is currently offline Click here to Send taft a Private Message Find more posts by taft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bloigen
Ketchup was one of the earliest names given to this condiment, so spelled in Charles Lockyer’s book of 1711, An Account of the Trade in India: “Soy comes in Tubbs from Jappan, and the best Ketchup from Tonquin; yet good of both sorts are made and sold very cheap in China”. Nobody seems quite sure where it comes from, and I won’t bore you with a long disquisition concerning the scholarly debate on the matter, which is reflected in the varied origins given in major dictionaries. It’s likely to be from a Chinese dialect, imported into English through Malay. The original was a kind of fish sauce, though the modern Malay and Indonesian version, with the closely related name kecap, is a sweet soy sauce.

Like their Eastern forerunners, Western ketchups were dipping sauces. I’m told the first ketchup recipe appeared in Elizabeth Smith’s book The Compleat Housewife of 1727 and that it included anchovies, shallots, vinegar, white wine, sweet spices (cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg), pepper and lemon peel. Not a tomato in sight, you will note — tomato ketchup was not introduced until about a century later, in the US, and caught on only slowly. It was more usual to base the condiment on mushrooms, or sometimes walnuts.

The confusion about names started even before Charles Lockyer wrote about it, since there is an entry dated 1690 in the Dictionary of the Canting Crew which gives it as catchup, which is another Anglicisation of the original Eastern term. Catchup was used much more in North America than in Britain: it was still common in the middle years of the nineteenth century, as in a story in Scribner’s Magazine in 1859: “I do not object to take a few slices of cold boiled ham ... with a little mushroom catchup, some Worcester sauce, and a pickle or so”. Indeed, catchup continued to appear in American works for some decades and is still to be found on occasion.

There were lots of other spellings, too, of which catsup is the best known, a modification of catchup. You can blame Jonathan Swift for it if you like, since he used it first in 1730: “And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo, catsup, and caveer”. [Caveer is caviar; botargo is a fish-based relish made of the roe of the mullet or tunny.] That form was also once common in the US but is much less so these days, at least on bottle labels: all the big US manufacturers now call their product ketchup.

Didn't ask for your ****ing life story.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:22 PM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RogerRamjet
Playground Superstar

i hope you all die long and painful deaths...

Sig by Scy!

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:23 PM
RogerRamjet is currently offline Click here to Send RogerRamjet a Private Message Find more posts by RogerRamjet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piggle Humsy
Wiggle4life

Originally posted by RogerRamjet

I'm living a long and painful death right now

..T H I N K I N G.. ..B E E A N.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:24 PM
Piggle Humsy is currently offline Click here to Send Piggle Humsy a Private Message Find more posts by Piggle Humsy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
taft
that guy

Originally posted by Piggle Humsy

Thats deep, like the ocean

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:24 PM
taft is currently offline Click here to Send taft a Private Message Find more posts by taft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RogerRamjet
Playground Superstar

with Vegas on the way? how does that fit into the experience? i'd be upright in my bed every night if i was about to go to Vegas! confused

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:26 PM
RogerRamjet is currently offline Click here to Send RogerRamjet a Private Message Find more posts by RogerRamjet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by taft

No, that was wide, if she went deep you couldn't find her.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:27 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

[William Wallace]Every man dies, not every man truly lives...[/William Wallace]

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:30 PM
Grinning Goku

LOLZ. TMI.

PSN handle: B_B_Kang

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:30 PM
Grinning Goku is currently offline Click here to Send Grinning Goku a Private Message Find more posts by Grinning Goku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
taft
that guy

bump

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:38 PM
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Originally posted by Röland
[William Wallace]Every man dies, not every man truly lives...[/William Wallace]

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:39 PM
taft
that guy

Originally posted by Darth Revan
"Yeah, that's right," Joe answered from under his hat. He tried to hide the fact that he knew her. "Uh... Do I know you?"

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:40 PM
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Joe Thomas?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:42 PM
taft
that guy

Originally posted by Röland
Joe Thomas?

Originally posted by Mr Parker
well spoken Bakerboy.Heck like you said,if we wanted to, we could stoop to their childish level and say all these man-spider fans who loves these stupid man-spider movies are all the same person but thats so idiotic its not worth stooping to thier childish level they display.the logic of the man-spider fans. laughing

and please man-spider fans,stop with the lies that we hate the movies just because of organics.I have said COUNTLESS of times on this post and given many examples before of how these movies are horribly written with orrible performances by the main two stars tobey mcguire and dunst.Dunst especially.she needs to do what her character in that movie mary jane was doing,take acting lessons because she cant act.Raimi is clearly an idiot also becaus as i said,he had mary jane acting MUCH MUCH more like gwen stacy in the movie and hardly anything at all like mary jane,that is inexcusable poor screenwriting by the screenwriters and inexcusable direting by the director.Like Bakerboy said,from all the reports that have come from the set,it sounds like that idiot Sam Raimi is now making the actress who plays gwen stacy to act like mary jane from the comics now. mad stupid and inexcusbale screenwriting.simple as that.

as I mentioedn earlier,I wasnt completely happy wit what they did with the 90's cartoon show either because they ALSO did not portray mary janes character properly in that show making her like gwen stacy as well but the storys from the first season of that show were so great and good that unlike the man-spider movies they were enjoyable and fun because the positives in that show in the first season out weighed the negatives where with the man-spider movies,its just the oppostie,way more negatives about the films than positives.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:42 PM
Piggle Humsy
Wiggle4life

No, that was wide, if she went deep you couldn't find her.

I was going to say that

with Vegas on the way? how does that fit into the experience? i'd be upright in my bed every night if i was about to go to Vegas! confused

I shall enjoy Vegas.
It will allow me to forget my troubles.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:44 PM
Piggle Humsy is currently offline Click here to Send Piggle Humsy a Private Message Find more posts by Piggle Humsy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

The Cleveland Browns drafted Thomas in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft (3rd overall) to fill a dire need on the team's offensive line. The Thomas pick ended much speculation that the Browns would choose other players including former Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn with the 3rd overall pick in the draft, whom they traded up to get later with the 22nd pick of the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft. Instead of attending the 2007 draft festivities in New York, Thomas chose to continue a family tradition and go fishing on Lake Michigan with his father. He found out he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns by cell phone. [1].

Joe Thomas has signed a 5 year contract worth $43 million, with $23 million guaranteed, with the Browns.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:45 PM
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was going to say that

So was I, infact, I did.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:46 PM
Piggle Humsy
Wiggle4life

So was I, infact, I did.

I noticed no expression

Line stealer.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 11:47 PM