KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Graffiti - art or vandalism?

Graffiti - art or vandalism?
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Arrow Graffiti - art or vandalism?

"Graffiti is not art, it's crime," - Tony Blair

What do you think about graffiti art? The professional one. Do you think its art, or is it a vandalism?

I dont think graffiti is vandalism, i generaly believe its art, just outside the studio or museum. But closed minded idiots like Tony Blair come out with sentences like the one above due to the ignorance!

I hate when people think that making something illegal will solve all problems!

I dont believe graffiti should be banned. Not at all. The tag-graffiti should be controled, i agree, but banning it all together is like banning a style of art.

Thoughts?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:09 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I rather think he came to that conclusion by opinion, Lil, not ignorance. I think it is rather vicious to try and write it off as such.

Graffiti is inflicted upon people, on public property, whether they want it or not. And a very large amount do not. So it is entirely appropritate to label it criminal.

It is a wide term, of course, and if done in a more formal manner it has as much right to be art as anything else- but the modern day phenomenon of graffiti is a public nuisance.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:17 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evy_O
don't let go

I think it definitely is art, it's only vandalism when it is used to destroy other people's property yes I don't think anyone can define what is not art

and I don't like Tony Blair anyway stick out tongue

shallow me, then spit me out
for hating you I blame myself
seeing you it kills me now
no, I don't cry on the outside anymore...

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:19 PM
Evy_O is currently offline Click here to Send Evy_O a Private Message Find more posts by Evy_O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

So if someone shoots someone dead and calls it art no-one has the right to say otherwise? That's ridiculous thinking. If done in a criminal manner it does not deserve to come under the banner of art as is generally recognised.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:20 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Well statues are art, are they not? They are on public property are they not? So why not ban them, why not bann everything everywhere in case someone gets offended?!

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:23 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Statues cannot be put up on public property without legal permisison, can they? You cannot just randomly build one. The point is that graffiti is inflicted by people on others without any form of process.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:26 PM
Tex
Yumsz

Art forum stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:36 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

There are people who are being payed to draw such things. How can you just make it illegal all together, just because there are some tag-graffiti arround?

The point is that making it illegal is certanly isnt going to get rid of the problem. People who draw tag-graffiti will do it regardelss of wheterh its legal or illegal.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:41 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

Graffiti is vandalism for me. And yeah, I agree. ART FORUM!

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:41 PM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Lil stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:43 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
There are people who are being payed to draw such things. How can you just make it illegal all together, just because there are some tag-graffiti arround?

The point is that making it illegal is certanly isnt going to get rid of the problem. People who draw tag-graffiti will do it regardelss of wheterh its legal or illegal.

If they are being paid and they are going through the correct process, then no-one is complaining!

And making murder illegal doesn't necessarily stop it. That's hardly the point! If it is wrong, it should be made illegal, so that perpetrators can be punished if caught.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:43 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Graffiti is inflicted upon people, on public property, whether they want it or not. And a very large amount do not. So it is entirely appropritate to label it criminal.

Right on the spot Ushgarak. That's why is call Graffitti and not art. I can understand an artist trying to express his/her artistic gift on public. But to damage other ppl property with gang logos or thugs names is unacceptable. I can also see the rule getting bend a little. For example, chalk artists who draw on the streets. It's art and it's chalk eventually it will wash away.

Many cities like Los Angeles and New York have been trying to put a stop to gang thugs from spray painting walls and murals on the streets. But it keeps getting worse everytime. There have been new laws prohibit (sp?) the sale of spray cans to ppl under the age of 18. So far there have been some improvements. There have been fewer reports of Graffitti in commercial areas of the city.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:44 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Predator 89

In my view its criminal when its on public property or private property or anywere not wanted or permited. Besides who wants a park or a public place too be graffied and vandalised? I dont realy care if its legal or banned not my problem, but Just like Ush said its all a part process.
Also if your paid to do the job then it would be legal. Also making actions that are wrong illegal is the only things that keep criminals at bay. If everything were legal there would 100 times more criminal activity than there is today.

Last edited by Predator 89 on Aug 2nd, 2004 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:45 PM
Predator 89 is currently offline Click here to Send Predator 89 a Private Message Find more posts by Predator 89 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

WD you either havent read my thread, or you have missed the point of it, or you dont know the differance between tag-graffiti and art-graffiti!

Actually, there are places in New York and LA where there are places allowed for painting in people's memorry for example.

I dont get how/why is this vandalism that deserves to be made illegal?

(please log in to view the image)

And Neo Version 7, im not talking about the graffiti as a goddamned art and its beauty of it or whatever im talking about the idea thats currently on the news in UK about making it it illegal altogether.

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Aug 2nd, 2004 at 07:57 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:49 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

depends on what kind of grafiti...

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:56 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But if it is permitted under official projects it isn't being termed vandalism any more, is it?

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:57 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Which is exactly the point, i was trying to make Ush. They are wanting to bann it all together.

Im all for the banning of tagging, but not approved art-graffiti.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:59 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Err... no, they are not banning that, Lil, so your point is kinda lost.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 07:59 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Erm..yes they are. I have just read the news and listened to them before i made a thread.

There wouldnt be an argument going on currently, if they are only banning the tagging.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 08:02 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

They have to get permits from the City, the community, and the owner in order to make those memorials. That's acceptable and legal. When a thug does it without a permit he is breaking the law. No matter how artistic the mural might be without a permit is illegal and is consider criminal.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2004 08:04 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote