KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Astral Plane in the MU

Astral Plane in the MU
Started by: Alfheim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deadline

Smile Astral Plane in the MU

How does the astral plane relate to the physical plane in the MU? It seems all powerful psionics can alter the astral plane, but not every one that can astral project is a powerful psionic. It also seems all powerful psionics can affect people from the astral plane. Therefore being able to alter the astral plane = powerful psionic = affect physical reality from the astral plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow...s_and_Abilities

The Shadow King is a powerful telepath, (he was said to be second only to Professor X, but this has probably changed since other telepaths have since surfaced); he can control the astral plane (which only the most powerful telepaths can do); as well as possess minds while on the astral plane. He has demonstrated the ability to live beyond the death of his physical body.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2007 03:22 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

manipulating the physical universe from the astral plane was something nobody really did until nate grey came along. first, he literally pulled xavier's astral form into the physical plane, giving it form and substance. then, he started creating physical constructs like body armor out of energy from the astral plane. i believe the "source material" for madelyne pryor in the x-man series was nate's memories + dormant psychic residue + astral energy. [there is one instance from much earlier in x-history where the shadow king's host body was grievously wounded, but appeared in a panel with no physical detriment shortly thereafter. the two theories were a] he was somehow using astral energy to replicate the form and function of organic matter, or b] artist error. there was no confirmation.] there really are not a lot of people that have accomplished those types of feats.

non-telepaths, or at least mutants who've otherwise shown no outright telepathic ability, have been able to astral project; and various heroes and mutants have been taken to the astral plane along with a telepath. "trance," i believe her name is, from the new x-men series can astral project. and the man "kim" from the madrox limited series was not only capable of astral projection to overcome his paralysis, but his astral form could also interact with the physical plane in a very destructive fashion.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2007 04:10 PM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Disappear
manipulating the physical universe from the astral plane was something nobody really did until nate grey came along. first, he literally pulled xavier's astral form into the physical plane, giving it form and substance. then, he started creating physical constructs like body armor out of energy from the astral plane. i believe the "source material" for madelyne pryor in the x-man series was nate's memories + dormant psychic residue + astral energy. [there is one instance from much earlier in x-history where the shadow king's host body was grievously wounded, but appeared in a panel with no physical detriment shortly thereafter. the two theories were a] he was somehow using astral energy to replicate the form and function of organic matter, or b] artist error. there was no confirmation.] there really are not a lot of people that have accomplished those types of feats.

non-telepaths, or at least mutants who've otherwise shown no outright telepathic ability, have been able to astral project; and various heroes and mutants have been taken to the astral plane along with a telepath. "trance," i believe her name is, from the new x-men series can astral project. and the man "kim" from the madrox limited series was not only capable of astral projection to overcome his paralysis, but his astral form could also interact with the physical plane in a very destructive fashion.

Ok but that seems that my theory is correct. IF you can alter the astral plane then you can alter the physical plane, but not everybody who can astral project can do this.

I think the Shadow King was able to affect people from the astral plane but I think that was only mentally.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2007 04:17 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

the shadow king exists solely as an astral entity, capable of taking over host bodies by basically kicking their minds out of their bodies. he was a telepath on xavier's level before he "died," after all.

certain telepaths have been able to mix the physical and the astral planes, but that may be a secondary skill set and not within the basic parameters of the term "telepath." nate grey was an exceptionally talented and strong psion, and he did it mostly by accident at first. thus far, xavier, cable, jean, rachel, psylocke, emma and virtually every other telepath have been unable to replicate those feats. xavier is partially iffy, however, because [i believe] onslaught's ability to manifest a body was derived from xavier's experience having his astral form made tangible. onslaught was, however, a separate entity and xavier can't necessarily be roped in with him. otherwise, as far as i know, nate's the only confirmed psion to have ever done that with any consistency, and most psions haven't even done it by accident or at all.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2007 07:00 PM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Um, no. Strange has been able to manipulate the physical world just as much from the astral plan as he can when he's physical. He's been doing it for 40 years.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 06:17 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

yeah, well. magic is cheating.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2007 07:08 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Re: Astral Plane in the MU

Originally posted by Alfheim
How does the astral plane relate to the physical plane in the MU? It seems all powerful psionics can alter the astral plane, but not every one that can astral project is a powerful psionic. It also seems all powerful psionics can affect people from the astral plane. Therefore being able to alter the astral plane = powerful psionic = affect physical reality from the astral plane.
I somewhat agree.
AFAIK, psionics in Marvel is electromagnetically-based (a proposition I personally do not agree with). This would suggest an EM basis for the astral plane. Since electromagnetic phenomena is described very well by laws of physics, all three things (the physical plane, the astral plane and psi) should be somewhat related perhaps via Maxwell's equations.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Jun 16th, 2007 at 03:35 PM

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 03:33 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shksprtx
Cosmic Redneck

Re: Astral Plane in the MU

How does the astral plane relate to the physical plane in the MU?

It seems all powerful psionics can alter the astral plane, but not every one that can astral project is a powerful psionic. It also seems all powerful psionics can affect people from the astral plane.

Therefore being able to alter the astral plane = powerful psionic = affect physical reality from the astral plane.

1) Correct. Magic-based characters are also able to enter the Astral Plane, and powerful ones, such as Dr. Strange and Talisman, are (at least in theory) perfectly capable of altering/affecting the physical plane from the astral.

2) Correction: The way you have it written implies that Strange and Talisman are powerful psionics. It also doesn't account for those who can enter the astral plane without necessarily being psionic or magic. Thus, the equation/statement should read:

quote:
Therefore being able to enter the astral plane + powerful psionic/mage = affect astral and physical realities from the astral plane.

As I understand it, the Astral Plane is essentially sort of a shadow copy of the physical plane, so of course any sufficiently powerful astral traveller should be able to alter physical reality from the astral plane.

I think...

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 04:42 PM
shksprtx is currently offline Click here to Send shksprtx a Private Message Find more posts by shksprtx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

I preferred it back when Xavier and Shadow King were squaring off against each other in Roman gladiator combat, shaping the astral plane to their whims. Now it's a junkyard. I remember a few years back in an issue where even Wolverine entered by putting Cerebro on to send a message to Jean or Cable or something. I thought that the writer was real wolverine fanboy then............ sad

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 10:11 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Re: Re: Astral Plane in the MU

Originally posted by shksprtx
1) Correct. Magic-based characters are also able to enter the Astral Plane, and powerful ones, such as Dr. Strange and Talisman, are (at least in theory) perfectly capable of altering/affecting the physical plane from the astral.

2) Correction: The way you have it written implies that Strange and Talisman are powerful psionics. It also doesn't account for those who can enter the astral plane without necessarily being psionic or magic. Thus, the equation/statement should read:

As I understand it, the Astral Plane is essentially sort of a shadow copy of the physical plane, so of course any sufficiently powerful astral traveller should be able to alter physical reality from the astral plane.

I think...

As for as I know psionics is actually part of magic. Yes well all the evidence indicates that it should be possible.

Originally posted by willRules
I preferred it back when Xavier and Shadow King were squaring off against each other in Roman gladiator combat, shaping the astral plane to their whims. Now it's a junkyard. I remember a few years back in an issue where even Wolverine entered by putting Cerebro on to send a message to Jean or Cable or something. I thought that the writer was real wolverine fanboy then............ sad

In all fairness Cerebero is supposed to massively magnify mental ability. Wolverine doesnt have any psionic powers but he does have a strong control over his mind, so maybe with Cerebero and the fcat that Jean and Cable are really powerful telepaths it should be possible.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 10:32 AM
HarmoNiC FLo
Becoming Transparent

the shadow king exists solely as an astral entity, capable of taking over host bodies by basically kicking their minds out of their bodies. he was a telepath on xavier's level before he "died," after all.

certain telepaths have been able to mix the physical and the astral planes, but that may be a secondary skill set and not within the basic parameters of the term "telepath." nate grey was an exceptionally talented and strong psion, and he did it mostly by accident at first. thus far, xavier, cable, jean, rachel, psylocke, emma and virtually every other telepath have been unable to replicate those feats. xavier is partially iffy, however, because [i believe] onslaught's ability to manifest a body was derived from xavier's experience having his astral form made tangible. onslaught was, however, a separate entity and xavier can't necessarily be roped in with him. otherwise, as far as i know, nate's the only confirmed psion to have ever done that with any consistency, and most psions haven't even done it by accident or at all.

true that. nate should be back this year

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 06:16 PM
HarmoNiC FLo is currently offline Click here to Send HarmoNiC FLo a Private Message Find more posts by HarmoNiC FLo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

I seem to recall Hulk affecting astral projections in the past... but perhaps that's just energy blasts that I'm thinking of.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 06:53 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
I seem to recall Hulk affecting astral projections in the past... but perhaps that's just energy blasts that I'm thinking of.

I think he might be the exception to the rule. For some reason he can see astral forms.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 06:58 PM
Mr Master

Originally posted by long pig
Um, no. Strange has been able to manipulate the physical world just as much from the astral plan as he can when he's physical. He's been doing it for 40 years.

Why does Strange need to leave his physical body protected by someone when he enters the Astral Plane if he can manipulate the physical world?

He should be able to shield it himself if he can affect the physical world while in the astral plane.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 07:15 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Re: Re: Astral Plane in the MU

In all fairness Cerebero is supposed to massively magnify mental ability. Wolverine doesnt have any psionic powers but he does have a strong control over his mind, so maybe with Cerebero and the fcat that Jean and Cable are really powerful telepaths it should be possible.

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it

Old Post Jun 17th, 2007 10:12 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mr Master
Why does Strange need to leave his physical body protected by someone when he enters the Astral Plane if he can manipulate the physical world?

He should be able to shield it himself if he can affect the physical world while in the astral plane.

Because his mind goes into the astral plane, not his body. Can anyone take their physical body there? That's something I never thought of.

He's shielded his body before while in the astral plane, he's also gave his unconscious body consciousness while in the AP and his body went on to fight in sync with his astral form.

Wait, are you implying he can't affect the physical world while in the Astral Plane? If so, then well....He can. He destroyed a planet with a blast while in the astral plane. He once flew into the middle of a supernova, used time-control and molecular reconstruction to stop the supernova and he then corked it.

Also, in your Wanda respect thread, the Flames of the Faltine aren't Strange's powers and Wanda wasn't controlling them. Dormammu was. He's faltinian and that's his signature intro.

Supa-Mayne!

Last edited by long pig on Jun 18th, 2007 at 06:15 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 06:09 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

in the latest issue of new x-men, trance releases her astral form while in limbo, crosses the dimensional border back to our dimension, and somehow re-manifests a body for a brief period of time. whether she created a new one, somehow brought her regular body with her across the dimensional gap, or just altered the appearance of her astral form so that it was completely visible and recognizable in the physical plane wasn't revealed.

but maybe she was "taking her body" with her.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 06:38 AM
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Actually it’s a bit more different and complicated then that.
Nate can seemingly merge itself to both planes. Existing as a an astral projection on the physlca plane (completely invisible and intangible to the laws of the physical plane). Yet remain in the astral realm as well. As Xavier pointed out in the Onslaught saga “Existing in both planes at the same time”.

However, he is able to pull things in and out of the physical/astral realm to his whim (I guess when the plot calls for it). And effect the physical plane, while he remains in his merged state.

Dr. Strange needs to leave its body behind (which is the significant difference), yet can effect the physical plane similar to Nate.

If you ask me, Nate merging of both planes really just seems to be a higher form of intangibility.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 04:01 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Re: Re: Astral Plane in the MU

Originally posted by Mindship
I somewhat agree.
AFAIK, psionics in Marvel is electromagnetically-based (a proposition I personally do not agree with). This would suggest an EM basis for the astral plane. Since electromagnetic phenomena is described very well by laws of physics, all three things (the physical plane, the astral plane and psi) should be somewhat related perhaps via Maxwell's equations.

Hmm…the definition of psi ware never established. You get different definition and explanation from different characters. However, being directly related to electromagnetic seems absurd? Who made this claim and on what issue?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 04:03 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Just out of interest is there anybody in MU how can astral project but does not have telepathy? There was this guy in Psi-Force in marvels New Universe but not 616

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 05:39 PM