KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » The Verdict: Ford - Too Old Or Not?

Do You Feel That Harrison Ford Is Too Old To Reprise The Role Of Indiana Jones?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes! 4 10.26%
No! 17 43.59%
I Will Reserve Judgement On This Matter Until I See "Indy IV" 18 46.15%
Total: 39 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Verdict: Ford - Too Old Or Not?
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Question The Verdict: Ford - Too Old Or Not?

Hey guys, Ahnold here.

I just saw on the IMDB home page that Harrison Ford turns 65 today (btw, happy birthday Mr. Ford smile ). Seeing that got me thinking again about whether Ford is now simply too old to credibly and enjoyably reprise the role of Indiana Jones for the upcoming "Indy IV". Personally, considering both his obvious enthusiasm for the project in interviews, and the fact that he doesn't look half-bad for a man his age, I don't feel that he is too old. However, I figured that the best thing would probably be to create this thread (and its associated poll) in order to garner the opinions of the people that really matter - the posters to the "Indiana Jones" Forum at the KMC stick out tongue !

So - what do you guys think?

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 09:09 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Hope the poll works - it's the first one I've created at the KMC in years!

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 09:13 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I don't know about you - but I've always thought Harrison Ford in real life to be the mix of Han Solo and Indy. I can honestly imagine the bloke lop-sidedly smirking his way through an ancient Mayan booby strap and nabbing a bunch of gold; home in time for tea and to go out with a snazzy bird.

I have no doubts.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 11:11 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

^ what he said.

After all these years, in every movie I've seen of him, he still has that lop-sided smile.

HIS force be with you.

Last edited by Jaeh on Jul 14th, 2007 at 03:50 AM

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 03:47 AM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If it was going to happen, it would only happen with Ford on board plus Lucas & Spielberg - it's like a pact between the three.
The setting for the film is the 1950's, so they are taking Ford's age into account. Indy's birthdate is set as 1899; that can't be changed. Ford looks a bit younger than his 65 years, so to me it's not an issue.
With the film be any good? Now that's a seperate discussion.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 09:30 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

It's funny; even though everyone who's replied to this thread has effectively said "no" to the question of whether Ford is now too old, only one "no" vote has been registered in the poll - and that was mine!

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:30 PM
Admiral Akbar

I would like to think that Harrison Ford is up to the task. I believe he is. But then again I have been dissapointed before, so I won't keep any hopes up.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2007 03:44 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ahnold
It's funny; even though everyone who's replied to this thread has effectively said "no" to the question of whether Ford is now too old, only one "no" vote has been registered in the poll - and that was mine!

Poll's must be bugged or something then, I voted no just before I posted my first response.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2007 02:27 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Huh - that's weird ...

Old Post Jul 17th, 2007 07:09 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

As long as its not Rocky Balboa. Jee, I've been beaten up so bad that I should of retired in Rocky 2 before I fought Apollo. No, but wait, I can magically see better in my right eye now, so Clubber is going down. Now, that russian beat me up and my head hurts real bad so I'm not gonna take on tommy gun on the street. Well, after my head feels better as I gets older, wow, I can still fight, and still run my restaurant.....

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 03:34 AM
JediRobin23 is currently offline Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Apparently Lucas is interested in Ford and the teen brat signing on for another movie after this; obviously Lucas and Harrison Ford himself don't think they're over it.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 06:19 PM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Ford is just fine to play Indy again.

They are setting it when he's just as old as Ford is now, so really this is a non-issue.

I think the question is more if people want to watch a film about an older Jones, not if Ford can play an older Jones well because he's....errr...old.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 08:00 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Roger Moore pull a bunch of James Bond films way past his prime. I don't mind a much older Indy.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 10:08 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Roger Moore pulled a bunch of James Bond films way past his prime.

Whilst this is true, I personally felt that RM lost some of his credibility as 007 towards the end of his run; I mean, he was 56 when he made "A View To A Kill" for God's sake! Watching him get off with Stacey Sutton (27 years his junior!) in that movie was just embarassing, quite frankly ...

This is why I created this thread in the first place, tbh; whilst I realise that Ford will be playing an old Indy whose age is close to his own, I was curious to know whether people on here felt that he could reprise his role credibly and enjoyably. This was *not* true of Roger Moore in "AVTOK" ...

Old Post Jul 19th, 2007 09:48 AM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

meh...

Ford will PwN teh Suck.

That is all.

LFL for life!

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 09:15 AM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I expect a lot of "I'm too old for this" gags.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 11:12 AM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Originally posted by sithsaber408
Ford will PwN teh Suck.

Erm ... what confused ?

Originally posted by exanda kane

Perhaps this time round he'll tell Marion: "It's not just the mileage anymore, honey ... it's the years too!" stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 12:34 PM
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Originally posted by exanda kane

ditto.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2007 12:44 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Ford IS Indy and will be fine regardless of how old he is. However, I hope the movie doesn't linger on his age for too long. I don't want it to be 2.5 hours of "Ouch my back/knee/piles/arthritis" etc. The images of Ford released so far show that he looks fantastic. I'm 25 and have no doubts he could kick MY ass.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2007 09:50 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

The Indiana Jones character makes it easy to believe that he could still tomb raid for ancient artifacts at 50 all the while battling nazi's. Indiana's entire life consists of fighting in wars, triumphing impossible feats and never ceasing to increase his knowledge on everything. It would be just as believable to swallow a 50 year old James bond, because his character warrants the suspension of disbelief. As long as the actor portraying the character does a fine job, it works seamlessly. and Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. So, no...i have no doubt he can pull it off. Especially with the aid of Speilberg and Lucas the original architects of the character.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Jul 22nd, 2007 at 01:10 AM

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2007 01:08 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote