KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Friendly Debates

Friendly Debates
Started by: savvysparrowluv

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
savvysparrowluv
Queen of the Night

Smile Friendly Debates

Since there has been a lot of interesting debates recently, I thought I'd start up a thread just for such debates (that way the fan thread participants and those wishing to debate (regardless of their shipping/fan preferences) don't get offended, but can come on here and have a roaring good time talking about all the things they love and hate about all ships, all characters, all films! Everything is welcome, but try and keep it nice and friendly. Debate away, mates!

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:31 PM
savvysparrowluv is currently offline Click here to Send savvysparrowluv a Private Message Find more posts by savvysparrowluv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Here's something i want to be debate about.

if YOU really had to choose between elizabeth and bootstrap, or between the love of your life and your blood relative who ditched out and broke your mom's heart, which would you pick?

i believe in family and all, but i'd go for love of my life.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:32 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifzensinril
Meself

I'd go also for love of my live, because if he ditched out once, how can I know he won't ditch out again?

A sparrabeth fanlisting love

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:49 PM
Sifzensinril is currently offline Click here to Send Sifzensinril a Private Message Find more posts by Sifzensinril Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

quote: (post)
Originally posted by katelovespirate
Here's something i want to be debate about.

if YOU really had to choose between elizabeth and bootstrap, or between the love of your life and your blood relative who ditched out and broke your mom's heart, which would you pick?

i believe in family and all, but i'd go for love of my life.

True but Will was a man of his word. So I understand why he had to do what he did. Besides he didn't plan on saving his father in that way he got killed and that was the only way he could conceivably achieve both goals and really Captain Jack Sparrow heroically made the decision for Will

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:56 PM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

It's a hard one to ponder, Kate, because (I hope) we all have good relationships with our dads and that none of them have ever left us. I think had I been Will, I still would have promised to help him...not stab Davy Jones' heart, though. I'm not that poetic when it comes to murder. It would have been nice to see a scene where Will confides in Elizabeth about his dad since when he first mentions it, she doesn't react to it at all. But if I found out I had to be the captain of the Flying Dutchman in order to save my dad that left me and made my mom raise a child by herself, I would probably make the love of my life the top priority and help whatever other way I could.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:01 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

The thing is I think Captain Jack Sparrow could have freed Bootstrap too so I don't think it should have ended with Will having to do it except he got killed.

Last edited by SelinaAndBruce on Dec 8th, 2007 at 08:09 PM

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:06 PM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Well, it's difficult because they really tried to make bootstrap out ot be a pathetic tragic figure who was depending on WIll in that one scene with elizabeth--- and then three seconds later, he kills one of the best characters in the series, who had already been jilted and pummeled around a lot by our other leading characters.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:14 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

Well, it's difficult because they really tried to make bootstrap out ot be a pathetic tragic figure who was depending on WIll in that one scene with elizabeth--- and then three seconds later, he kills one of the best characters in the series, who had already been jilted and pummeled around a lot by our other leading characters.

I agree with that I did not like Norrington much as I said but he did not have to die that way that was stupid and I didn't get why Bootstrap did it I was like what is his problem?

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:15 PM
aelizabeth
--~*~--

Well, I think part of the reason Will promised to rescue Bootstrap WAS because he never met him. Bootstrap is his claim to piracy fame, he has heard so much about him, and has been told he's so much like him. He likely wanted to get to know him. And when Bootstrap saved will during the dice game, it sort of sealed the deal.

The biggest "...What!?" moment in the whole movie for me, besides the calypso crab ordeal, was when bootstrap killed James. It was random and apparently out of character. Or at least that's what i thought.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2007 09:26 PM
aelizabeth is currently offline Click here to Send aelizabeth a Private Message Find more posts by aelizabeth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

Yeah, Bootstrap killing James was sad because he wouldn't have done it if it if he was sane still. He was being taken over by the ship because he had been on it so long. It's like he was possesed almost.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2007 09:45 PM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Oh agreed, pocky, agreed. When you stop to think about it, it's very easy to feel sorry for Bootstrap and even though he abandoned his family, he stood up for Jack when no one else would, so he doesn't deserve that fate. But in that moment, you don't feel sorry for him, you feel sorry for James. The guy just saved Liz and a bunch of pirates and confessed his love. It's out of a girl's fantasy where a guy poetically says he loves her and risks his life for hers.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2007 11:21 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Sometimes I wonder, if James wouldn't have died (GRRRRR) what would have happened between him and Elizabeth?

maybe I'm just playing Surreal here, but I think that there would have been an open door perhaps. I mean, Elizabeth just got into a massive fight with Will and ditched him on the Pearl, basically handing him over as a traitor to the other pirates (we never do analyze that scene enough--- and we should) and more or less saying she's ready to sell her body to Sao Feng (or at least, agree it might come to that) to save herself and get them out of that last scrape. She's obviously still pretty angry at him, and then here she is, trying to hold her own as captain after almost being raped and who should show up but Knight in Shining armor James?! Looking dashing and playing the hero, no less.

And she's like, "James, come with us... come with me." and then doesn't seem at all averse to the kiss with him... hehe. personally, i think his survival may have complicated things for Will and Elizabeth. wink it's too bad she didn't realize what a catch he was before he died.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 12:06 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Subtle hints that maybe James was the best choice for her after all. She obviously didn't get the greatest ending with Will and didn't open herself up to having one with Jack...or he didn't open up to having one with her....whatever. The deleted scenes in COTBP show Elizabeth had a soft spot for him and she felt like she should love him and he definitely had a lot of qualities she admired. But she thought he was lacking in some areas. And we can assume she learned he did possess those qualities in DMC when he went pirate briefly. And, to top it all off, he never stopped loving her or putting her first. He wasn't thinking about a possible future with her on the deck of the Dutchman. He was thinking about making sure she'd live.
It's an interesting thing, Kate. Maybe when you're done analyzing the films as sparrabeth you can do norribeth. Little things are everywhere to imply they would be more successful than her and Will or even her and Jack.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 01:43 AM
sailorleo
Mrs. Admiral Norrington

Sometimes I wonder, if James wouldn't have died (GRRRRR) what would have happened between him and Elizabeth?

maybe I'm just playing Surreal here, but I think that there would have been an open door perhaps. I mean, Elizabeth just got into a massive fight with Will and ditched him on the Pearl, basically handing him over as a traitor to the other pirates (we never do analyze that scene enough--- and we should) and more or less saying she's ready to sell her body to Sao Feng (or at least, agree it might come to that) to save herself and get them out of that last scrape. She's obviously still pretty angry at him, and then here she is, trying to hold her own as captain after almost being raped and who should show up but Knight in Shining armor James?! Looking dashing and playing the hero, no less.

And she's like, "James, come with us... come with me." and then doesn't seem at all averse to the kiss with him... hehe. personally, i think his survival may have complicated things for Will and Elizabeth. wink it's too bad she didn't realize what a catch he was before he died.

oh god kate, I KNOW!!!!! I'm still pissed about that...and any ending is better *nearly any* than the one he got, oh well I guess it gives a story line for his spin off that T&T will make about the adventures of Sailorrie ((they will make this or i will...do not nice....things////i can be very annoying...))

Norrie+Sailor= Happiness !bunny
Banner by Sailorleo *me*

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 06:14 AM
sailorleo is currently offline Click here to Send sailorleo a Private Message Find more posts by sailorleo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

He really doesn't seem interested in the offer when she says come with us--not until she says come with me. Is that how Jack did it, to raise his crew--found those that were "in love" with him one level or another and just kept adding more--the crew owns the captain, the captain owns the crew--what a bizarre love unilateral triangle? Heckydo, I don't know.

Also, I said this before and it's still bugging me: Jones got 'hired on' to ferry the dead, promised !?! by Calypso, who then didn't be 'there' when he got the one day--he petitioned the brethern court (no king then) to bind her in her bones, taught them how--pillow talk intell? and then he cuts out his heart, burries it up etc. So how come Will's heart got removed--filleting himself was Jones' gig, some real bad testerone poisoning, gender defect--not a prerequiste of captaining Dutchman, was it?

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 06:49 AM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

I felt bad for Norrington because he loved Elizabeth and she really overall I don't think didn't care t hat much about him. They had too many people fawning over that character though. That was annoying.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 08:23 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Lol, Everybody Loves Elizabeth.

Tex, it's one of the many problems with the curse. I don't get it either.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2007 01:42 PM
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

Ta Willowisp, it's good to know I didn't totally fail supernatural goofiness 101. Lord, when I have more sense than the guys what wrote it? Now that's disturbing. Oh, the baby Barbossa--good grief, I fell over laughing and then got twisted....with this crew it gnarly, it's knotty, it's never dull!!

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 04:38 AM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
piratexrory
some x's & o's

Originally posted by willofthewisp
It's a hard one to ponder, Kate, because (I hope) we all have good relationships with our dads and that none of them have ever left us. I think had I been Will, I still would have promised to help him...not stab Davy Jones' heart, though. I'm not that poetic when it comes to murder. It would have been nice to see a scene where Will confides in Elizabeth about his dad since when he first mentions it, she doesn't react to it at all. But if I found out I had to be the captain of the Flying Dutchman in order to save my dad that left me and made my mom raise a child by herself, I would probably make the love of my life the top priority and help whatever other way I could.

Agreed. Well, except for the fact that I don't have a good relationship with my dad, and that yes.. he's left me for some other brat.. confused
I would have chosen "love of my life" too, instead of father - but maybe I'm basing things on personal experience. Meh, I don't know.. smile

the forbidden fruit always tastes the sweetest

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 06:36 PM
piratexrory is currently offline Click here to Send piratexrory a Private Message Find more posts by piratexrory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

I loved my daddy bunches--and we had some major issues, but the deal is aren't we supposed to leave our homes of origin and go to be with tha person with whom we will make a new home--boy, yucko, that sounds way Biblical--probably is. The who has dominion over what/who usually goes back to Bible or English law in my history. Who knows--

I want to ask and I don't know if here is the spot, however--on the spit of land during the parlay (AWE), Barbossa calls Jack blackguard I understand. Then they do that nose to nose thing where Barbossa says "if you've got something to say, I might be saying something back" and Jack says "okay first to the finish then?" What was that all about? I have racked my pea brain for what went on? haven't been able to make a serviceable answer yet. So, I appeal to the court, what say ye pirates?

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 11:27 PM