KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Fate

Choice or Destiny
This poll is closed.
Choice 5 71.43%
Destiny 2 28.57%
Total: 7 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fate
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Revan
-

Fate

"Do you believe in fate, Neo?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life."

What do you think of fate? Are we really in control of our own lives, or are we all part of some greater plan?

I'm not entirely sure myself. I don't like the idea that my future is planned out, but on the other hand, I sometimes feel like it is. When horrible things happen to people, they obviously didn't choose to have them happen. Is there a reason for these things to happen? Or is it just coincidence?

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 05:23 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaPtaInCLaUdiA
brunette and tanned <3

I don't believe in fate, I totally believe you are in control of your future, I mean that is where taking decisions come decisions, for example either you choose to attend a certain school, fate doesnt decide that. and yes people dont choos bad things to happen to them, but if bad things didnt happen how in the world would you ever savor the good things, i dont think it's fate, it's life.

she's miss california <3

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 05:35 AM
CaPtaInCLaUdiA is currently offline Click here to Send CaPtaInCLaUdiA a Private Message Find more posts by CaPtaInCLaUdiA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Fate is an interesting concept when you think about it. Especially when it's believed by those same people who believe in heaven and hell.

If you have no control over your own actions then how can god blame you and send you to hell for killing someone when you are simply living out your "fate" that he created for you. Never really made sense to me.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 08:30 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I don't believe in fate at all. I believe life is what you make it. Thats why I really hate it when people say "Maybe it was meant to be" when something goes bad because I don't view things that way.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 08:32 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

*looks at sig*
Then Túrin asked him: "What is Fate?"

I don't believe in fate in the sense of somebody having full control of your life, the course of your whole life practically written down somewhere, only waiting for the time to come and make everything happen as predicted by some higher being.

But I also don't think that our choices, changing our future, are totally free, our life, our environment makes us what we are and everything we do is just the reaction and logical effect, inevitable because of the given causes and backgrounds. We are predictable... if we'd know our own personality good enough, all our life would be a straight stairway of cause and effect, given the same circumstances we cannot escape the following results which would always be the same.

But it's our own personality, not Fate.

But this is not a reason, this is not a "why". [...]
It is, of course, the way of all things. You see, there is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect.[...]
Causality, there is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the "why"

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 09:53 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Fate sucksm, it's an excuse for ppl not to do anything in life.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 11:34 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

well.not quite, but i don't believe in fate either.
You don't choose what horrible things to happen to you, revam. and when they do....you can't really go "oh..gee..this had to happen...it's fate" They just happen.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 11:53 AM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

The idea of fate contradicts the idea of God in religious sense. You cant have both. You either believe in God or you either believe in fate.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 01:01 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

I'm with Neo on this one. However I can't say there is NOTHING controlling me, which is beyond my control. That doesn't mean it's some divine being or beings with a set plan for me - that has always sounded like people in desperate need of a meaning with their lives.
What I mean is, that I can't know everything which influences me. Or my choices. I can never see all my choices, either because of upbringing, experience, stubbornness, stupidity, emotions etc.
So none of us can be said to be in complete control of our lives. But I do not think there is a set meaning with life, nor a destiny, nor fate.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 01:19 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
The idea of fate contradicts the idea of God in religious sense. You cant have both. You either believe in God or you either believe in fate.

'Cannot' in what sense? Many religious philosophies believe in both.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 01:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Alright, let me rephrase it. In such religions as Christianity, Islam, Judeism..etc..that believe in God and Heaven and Hell, the idea of fate contradicts with the idea of God, Heaven and Hell.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 02:20 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

John Calvin, a 16th century theologan believed in predestination ie that there are the elect and the reprobate and noone can do anything to chage their category - some are fated to go to Heaven and others are fated to go to Hell.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 02:37 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
I'm with Neo on this one. However I can't say there is NOTHING controlling me, which is beyond my control. That doesn't mean it's some divine being or beings with a set plan for me - that has always sounded like people in desperate need of a meaning with their lives.
What I mean is, that I can't know everything which influences me. Or my choices. I can never see all my choices, either because of upbringing, experience, stubbornness, stupidity, emotions etc.
So none of us can be said to be in complete control of our lives. But I do not think there is a set meaning with life, nor a destiny, nor fate.

Well put. That's what I think as well, only you're better with words than I am... wink

That Christianity thing that Backfire and lil brought up is interesting, I never thought about that. However, I wouldn't say you can't believe in both God and fate--just that if you believe in both, your image of God has to be considerably different from the Christian one.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 02:59 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

There is a very well known branch of Christian theology called Calvinism/Predestination that believes firmly in the existence of both God and Fate.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:03 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I didnt say its impossible, i said its contradictory.

People can believe what they like really, there is, afterall a 'Flat Earth society'

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:05 PM
shaber
schizoid

Not all that contradictory if the God in question is omnipotent He would have already had to decide who he is going to eternally torment.

Flat Earth society eh... I might join that if there are any benefits.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:14 PM
lil bitchiness
-

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
Not all that contradictory if the God in question is omnipotent He would have already had to decide who he is going to eternally torment.

Flat Earth society eh... I might join that if there are any benefits.

So, if thats true, what is the point of ''being sent to earth'' in the first place? Why not just send you straight to Hell.

Im making a thread about Flat Earth Society yes in GDF.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:16 PM
shaber
schizoid

It would be more satisfying to give them some sort of comparison to make Hell all the more agonising as they would have had a higher state of being to compare it to.

So would you get free snacks at the meetings? I would join just for that yes

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:19 PM
lil bitchiness
-

Ah, you're wrong Shaber, because being on earth is a suffering. our life in itself is suffering, Buddha was totally right.

If God wanted to make it more agonising for those damned to hell, he would send them to heaven, the absolute extreame, not to earth.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:33 PM
shaber
schizoid

Well I'm speaking in Hell-Fire sermon mode. If God is intending to torment someone forever then he probably wouldn't allow them a taste of Heaven... however, Marlowe (a playwright) did have one of his rebel angels say that the worst torment of being in Hell was the deprivation of Heaven which certainly makes sense.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:39 PM