KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Adam and eve or evolution

Adam and eve or evolution
Started by: reece123collins

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
reece123collins

Adam and eve or evolution

I think evolution simply because how could everyone in the world come from only two people originally. This would mean that to an extent we are all related and the same family. So where did race, langue, traditions, origins all come from.
I also think evolution because even though scientists have proven to some extent we have the capability to evolve from primates but there is some evidence that we all have the same dna or something which they have proven through carbon dating or something.
But honestly i know that nothing is impossible to some extent so really both answers are up for argument. but my personal view is ecolution.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 05:57 PM
reece123collins is currently offline Click here to Send reece123collins a Private Message Find more posts by reece123collins Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

"evolution" is a fact, anyone that argues differently is an idiot.

I personally don't believe in Adam and Eve. If that story were true how do you explain where Asian people came from.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:11 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

The theory of evolution vs creation is really just a big pong-debate. Uber christians will not be swayed, and those of the scientific mind will not be swayed. It's a matter of faith vs facts. Evolution is science. Creation is a fairy tale, along with ID.

Begin debate of the infinite.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:18 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Agreed, I suppose the best way to resolve it is to ask the question: whether fact is > faith

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:22 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Is this in the wrong forum?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:27 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Agreed, I suppose the best way to resolve it is to ask the question: whether fact is > faith
And which is fact and which is faith. And if those are mutually exclusive.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:28 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Wha...

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:29 PM
Bardock42

"evolution" is a fact, anyone that argues differently is an idiot.

I personally don't believe in Adam and Eve. If that story were true how do you explain where Asian people came from.
Or...if Adam and Ever were Asian, where do `Caucasian people come from?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:35 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Wha...

Often fundamentalist Christians try to confuse the issue by claiming that science is based on faith just like religion is. This is based on the idea that all reality is relative and we only know something because of a set of assumptions. They do this while at the same time claiming that their beliefs are absolute. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:37 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Often fundamentalist Christians try to confuse the issue by claiming that science is based on faith just like religion is. This is based on the idea that all reality is relative and we only know something because of a set of assumptions. They do this while at the same time claiming that their beliefs are absolute. roll eyes (sarcastic)
And Darwinian Fundamentalists claim that science contains no elements of faith, despite the fact that observational science cannot prove how the universe came about.

There is a fundamental difference in ideology, hence the endless debates.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:50 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Acrosurge
And Darwinian Fundamentalists claim that science contains no elements of faith, despite the fact that observational science cannot prove how the universe came about.

There is a fundamental difference in ideology, hence the endless debates.

I have no idea what a Darwinian Fundamentalists is.

You are making an assumption: you are assuming that the universe had a beginning. The big band theory only says that at some point in the past the universe was very small. Science is based on observations of nature. Observations of nature are not based on faith.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 06:57 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

I have no idea what a Darwinian Fundamentalists is.

You are making an assumption: you are assuming that the universe had a beginning. The big band theory only says that at some point in the past the universe was very small. Science is based on observations of nature. Observations of nature are not based on faith.
One must also make an assumption to say that the universe did not have a beginning.

One cannot observe how the universe came into being, therefore it is not strictly scientific to say, "It was created by an eternal series of contractions and expansions," or "It was created by a god," or, "It was created by cows." These are all faith statements that cannot be observed nor proven. Hence, the irreconcilably of ideologies.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:09 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

One must also make an assumption to say that the universe did not have a beginning.

One cannot observe how the universe came into being, therefore it is not strictly scientific to say, "It was created by an eternal series of contractions and expansions," or "It was created by a god," or, "It was created by cows." These are all faith statements that cannot be observed nor proven. Hence, the irreconcilably of ideologies.

If you read what I posted, you will see that I was not making an assumption about the beginning of the universe. I was pointing out your assumption.

How is observations of nature equal to faith?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:15 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by reece123collins
I think evolution simply because how could everyone in the world come from only two people originally.

all life on this planet (so far documented) is the offspring of ONE single cell

This would mean that to an extent we are all related and the same family.

at one point, the population of reproducing human females was reduced to a handful, meaning this is probably true anyways, if the fact that we all come from the same single cellular organism does not mean we are all from the same family.

So where did race,

geographically and family isolated groups of pre-humans

langue,

pre linguistic pointing and gesturing combined with the advantage of more complex grunts as communication devices

traditions,

memes passed to offspring and through transaction, geographically or culturally isolated

origins all come from.

origins of which?

I also think evolution because even though scientists have proven to some extent we have the capability to evolve from primates

evolution isn't an ability, it is a process. We hypothetically have the ability to evolve into anything that genetic variation allows for in our environment, with the long-term changes being based on which of those varieties were best suited for the environment.

but there is some evidence that we all have the same dna or something

yes, all lifeforms on the planet share some portion of their DNA, Depending on how closely related the species are. You and I likely have almost identical genes, whereas a chimp would have 90%+ of the same dna. A dog some smaller percentage, followed by bananas and bacteria.

which they have proven through carbon dating or something.

probably more through genetic sequencing, though I'll admit I don't know for sure

But honestly i know that nothing is impossible to some extent

human imagination is not subject to limits, however, reality is. There are many things which are impossible.

so really both answers are up for argument.

absolutly not. Creationism or intelligent design are unsubstantiable and errorous. They do not conform to anything approaching science. Rationally, only evolution is "up for argument"

but my personal view is ecolution.

lol, nice smile

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:16 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

If you read what I posted, you will see that I was not making an assumption about the beginning of the universe. I was pointing out your assumption.

How is observations of nature equal to faith?
And if you read my post, you will note that I said nothing about observation of nature being the equivalent of faith. Only that the method of the origin of the universe cannot be proven by observational science. Therefore, the Fundamentalist makes a leap of faith when they say, "It existed eternally."

When it comes to origins, one must make an assumption one way or the other.

Also, you will find the best definition of Darwinian Fundamentalism in Carl Sagan's book, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark:

quote:
"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. The eminent Kant scholar Lewis Beck used to say that anyone who could believe in God could believe in anything. To appeal to an omnipotent deity is to allow that at any moment the regularities of nature may be ruptured, that miracles may happen."

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:34 PM
tsilamini

actually, science doesn't have to explain things it can't possibly...

"I don't know, lets keep looking" is an acceptable answer, thus, science makes no assumptions about anything. It either has the data or does not.

It would however be valid to say "any belief one has about the absolute nature of the origins of the universe is a belief based on faith" then yes. However, all scientific facts could have that said about them, as one of the most important parts to science is the knowledge that its answers are always incomplete. Thus, there are no absolutes in science.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:39 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

And if you read my post, you will note that I said nothing about observation of nature being the equivalent of faith. Only that the method of the origin of the universe cannot be proven by observational science. Therefore, the Fundamentalist makes a leap of faith when they say, "It existed eternally."

Also, you will find the best definition of Darwinian Fundamentalism in Carl Sagan's book, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark:

Science does not say that the universe is eternal or not.

Do you not see that by asking the question "how did the universe begin?" you are inserting an assumption that the universe has a beginning?

I have not read that book, but I have heard fundamentalist Christians call evolution Darwinism as if Darwin invented evolution.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:42 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by inimalist
actually, science doesn't have to explain things it can't possibly...

"I don't know, lets keep looking" is an acceptable answer, thus, science makes no assumptions about anything. It either has the data or does not.

It would however be valid to say "any belief one has about the absolute nature of the origins of the universe is a belief based on faith" then yes. However, all scientific facts could have that said about them, as one of the most important parts to science is the knowledge that its answers are always incomplete. Thus, there are no absolutes in science.
You have stated better than I.

I agree completely.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:46 PM
tsilamini

as a further note:

in the same book, Sagan describes an alien species who use vehicular interstellar transport as not being able to determine if it is the cars on earth that are alive or if they are vehicles.

so, ya, Sagan was the man, but again, nothing in science is absolute and people can disagree on many things.

For instance, I believe science should be open to anything supernatural provided it can be empirically tested. Give me an experiment that will provide conclusive evidence for the existance of God and my thoughts are that it should be run. Scientists have their own personal philosophies which will absolutly effect the way they perform science, but the scientific method does not require any philosophical commitment, simply empirical evidence upon which predictions can be made and tested.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:49 PM
tsilamini

You have stated better than I.

I agree completely.

i must have misinterpreted, appologies

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 07:50 PM