KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Artwork Forum » Which dSLR camera should I chose?

Which dSLR camera should I chose?
Started by: Koala MeatPie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Which dSLR camera should I chose?

Figured this is the best place to ask, I know their are photographers out there..... in 2003. Still.

After reading many reviews I have settled on the Canon 40D. (Canon due to CHDK, 40D as there is not as much ISO noise past 400 as the 50D and the autofucus, should I ever want on the fly shots, is much better than the XSi (where a percentage are DOA)

The reason for a DSLR is Astrophotgraphy, I need 3200 ISO for certain shots as well as the ability to change lenses or connect to a telescope (eventually).

Right now I am looking at these two ads:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/pho/1830600729.html

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANON-EOS-40D-DS...Digital_Cameras

The one on Craig's List seems to be like a great kit, however I am unsure if I can do F stops past 2.8, would I need to purchase the standard 18-55mm f3.5 - 5 lense?

eBay still comes with battery grip, however includes the standard lense, omitting the 1.5 (which would cost what, 700$ on it's own?)

I am leanning on the CL ad, but desire further imput.

Thank you for your time! :-D

PS HA so thats what my Avatar and sig are.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2010 03:59 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I would say do some research into how much the additional lenses are going to cost you and which adds up to more. For the first, yes, you will need either a standard 18-55mm lens, or a telephoto, for anything more than f/2.8.

An ideal kit will consist of a 1.8/f 50mm macro lens, a standard 18-55mm lens, and a 75-250/300mm telephoto. At the very least. That, however, is expensive as hell. I happen to know this stick out tongue So I'd say shop around for lens prices - I like amazon myself, as you can find some nice deals there, ebay is also awesome. Whatever adds up to the better price is what you should go with. I got my camera on amazon, myself - bundle that came with the 18-55mm lens, bag, memory card, extra battery, and some other stuff...was cheaper than just the camera itself costs most places. So, yeah.

Also, don't forget to include the prices of things like a tripod and - possibly - a remote for the shutter. The second is a bit less necessary if you intend to use the timer for any long exposure shots (which is what I do, as I am cheap).

(I've got the XS - yeah, I know, bottom of the Canon DSLRs, but it's still awesomely amazing. Trying to scrape up the money for decent macro and telephoto lenses; since macro and portraiture is what I use it for the most, macro lens is the priority, as the standard kit lens works fine for portraits. Those $12 macro filter sets you can find on amazon are amazing and is acting as an excellent stand-in until I can afford a proper macro lens.)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on Aug 16th, 2010 at 07:43 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2010 07:39 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Hey! thanks for the reply, I appreciate! I had compleatly forgotten about this thread.

I ended up getting a Canon EOS T2i (550D).
Great pics so far, and hope to get more.

I have a Macro f/1.8 lens 50mm
Standard 18-55mm
And might be getting a Sigma 120-400mm for the shuttle launch this November (VIP tickets, Press / Presidential area, muahahaha, love the internet.)

Samples:

Infrared

Long Exposure

Short Exposure:

Pretty

Fireworks

PS Awww, Google Chrome does not support glow, reverse scroll and reverse Report buttons signature bug.

Last edited by Koala MeatPie on Sep 30th, 2010 at 02:31 AM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2010 02:25 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

That's because they aren't HTML/CSS compliant tags. They only work in IE.

Anyway, nice. Also, Infrareeeeeeeeed. I want an IR filter, they make such awesome photos.

Are you shooting in JPG or RAW? Please say RAW.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2010 02:49 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

I snap both at the same time :-D (RAW+ JPEG)
And always HDR - if possible.

As for IR, I bought it off eBay for 10$ and free shipping + 3 weeks anticipation

Citiwide is pretty good - it's where I bought it. I used a 720nm filter.

I'm sure you've read a few guides on how to shoot in IR, so no worries there :-p

Old Post Sep 30th, 2010 03:01 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I recommend only 2 brands: Nikon or Canon.

Buy the models with still-motion technology, so you can capture even things in motion.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 5th, 2010 09:33 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote