KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Newjak's Build-A-Hero Tourney (Interest Thread)

Newjak's Build-A-Hero Tourney (Interest Thread)
Started by: Newjak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Newjak's Build-A-Hero Tourney (Interest Thread)

I plan on holding a tournament after Red's and Evangel's both get done. This thread is simply to get general interest in the tourney whether it be you wanting to participate or be nothing more than a judge.

Another reason I wanted to make this thread is because it is isn't like any other tourney held so far, so I also wanted to give people plenty of time to ask questions and get the concept familiar to them.

Alright as the basic premise of this tourney, as stated in the title, is that unlike other tourney's where you drafted whole characters in this one you will build one character from the ground up using existing character attributes. The tourney level will be from street to Trans level and everything inbetween based on the KMC Comic Book Tiers thread located here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t447826.html

So instead of drafting say Superman you will instead draft Superman's strength. Instead of drafting Juggernaut you will draft Juggernaut's durability or his speed if you wanted it.

To ensure that everyone follows the same rules there will be a set of guidelines that will be followed when taking character attributes.

The main way this will be done is by using a point based system. Everyone will be assigned a set number of points. Each tier like Transcendent or High Herald will each cost various amounts. You spend from total points until you don't have any left or you decide not to spend anymore.

This is the point system I have devised so far. This is not the final one, but I want you guys to get a general idea the format will follow:

TOTAL POINTS: 120

Street Level Cost: 2
Low to Mid Meta: 4
High Meta to Low Herald: 12
Mid-Herald: 24
High Herald: 26
Trans: 34

Now say you draft Superman's Strength it would cost you 24 points leaving you with 94 points left to spend.

Notice that I have clumped some tiers together. I've done this because I feel that in general those levels are close enough that they can be.

Now I've also devised a system for drafting which will involve categories that people must draft from. I've done this to ensure everyone follows the same set of rules which will help cut back on loopholes. The Categories will consist of 3 main ones and three auxiliary ones.

The three Main Categories will be Physical, Mental, and Energy. Those three will each be broken down into three subcategories as well. So it looks like this:

Physical:
Strength
Durability(Endurance)
Speed(Reaction Time)

Mental:
Telepathy
Intelligence
Fighting Ability

Energy:
Force Fields
Energy Absorption
Energy Blasts

You must draft one subcategory from each of the three main ones. So you must draft one physical ability, one mental ability, and one energy ability If you do not draft any particular subcategory, ie you do not draft an attribute for strength, then it will be assumed to have roughly human ability in that category.

Also please note the Endurance and Reaction Times abilities next to Durability and Speed. These are special things that if you draft from then you will also gain those respectively. So if you drafted the Flash for speed then you would also get his reaction time. Now as long as you have already drafted someone for Durability or Speed then you can draft someone different for those extras at half off. For example if you drafted Speedfreak for speed but didn't like his reaction time then you could draft someone else at half off, but only if you drafted someone for speed to begin with.

Now the three Auxiliary Categories will be weapons/Items, Prep Locations/Resources, and Special Powers. You do not have to draft from these.

Weapons/Items: This category allows you to draft standard gear from someone. Ie drafting Wolverine's claws, Batman's utility belt, Thor's hammer.

Prep Locations/Resources: This one allows you to draft prep locations such as the Batcave. These are one time use buys. So once you use Batman's home base then you can not use it again. Please note that if you do not draft from this then your prep location will be a generic location with no resources on hand except the ones you bring.

Special Powers: This one allows you to draft everything not covered by the main categories, ie the power of flight, Matter Manipulation, Duplication, Teleporation, ect, ect.

A couple of notes on Auxiliary drafting. You can draft as much as you want from each category. So you can take Nth amount of Special abilities or weapons/items, or Prep Locations as you want. Just as long as you have drafted one of each main category before taking an extra one from these categories.

Also note that pre-made items used must be Trans Level or lower. So you could not for example draft Thanos and buy is prep location and have him pull out the IG.

Also in the special case of weapons that grant people entire character power sets like a GL Ring, Thor's Hammer, and Iron Man's armor. If you draft such an Item you will only be allowed to have two abilities of the item. So for instance if you took a GL Ring you could take it's Flight, and Energy Blasts but nothing in addition to those. And if it would take the place of a Main Category Item as noted above with the GL Ring and energy blasts then you must already have drafted something for that category. Please note this only applies to things that grant entire character power sets and would be like drafting the entire character themselves. One other thing on this topic is you will still gain the non-power type attributes of the item you drafted. So if you got Iron Man's armor then you would still gain the protection from his his armor and the on board computer he has. I know that indirectly this is the same as gaining his durability and Reaction times but as long as it doesn't directly give it to them then it is ok. So you would get the GL Ring's databases but not it's ability to create Shields unless of course that is your declared power for it.

Now I wish to give you a list of powers that will be banned no matter what:
1) Time Manipulation
2) luck Powers
3) Power Absorption and Negation
4) OHK Powers such as Soul Absorbtion

Restricted Powers: These are powers that will be restricted.
1) Matter Manipulation: Can not be used directly on opponent
2) Duplication/Independent Constructs: Only allowed one Dupe or construct
3) Teleportation: Not allowed to teleport opponent away from battlefield.

Now I know there will be some questions regrading character weaknesses and strengths. In essence there will be none in this tourney except those granted from having or not having powers. So for instance if You draft Superman your guy will not have Superman's weakness to K-Nite. However if you do not draft any telepathy power then you will be subject to it's effect even if you drafted Martian Manhunter for his flight powers.

This also leads into what are the power meshing and cap rules. In terms of the limit of how powerful your guy can become there is none. If you can create the Living tribunal in power go for it. Now on that note, with the exception of a later rule to be revealed, your drafted abilities are the only ones you get from your characters. You can not unlock other abilities cause for all intents and purposes they are not there. So you could draft Superman's speed but as far as you know there is no way for you to unlock his other abilities. You only get his strength This also goes for weapons/items as well. So you can not unlock the full abilities of GL Ring no matter how smart or how good of a technopath you have because once again for intents those other abilities simply are not there to be unlocked.

Now for some final notes.

There will be no PIS/CIS in this tourney. You are in complete control of your character's therefore anything you can think to do with those abilities you can do.

There will be a no loopholes rule.

All Character's powers can not harm themselves because it lacks another. For instance if you Draft Flash's Speed but only have human durability then your guy will not break down from the friction at such high speeds. On the other hand though if someone was to say redirect your energy blast back at you that would still hurt you.

All characters can function in any environment. Such that they do get cold, overheat, breath, or any other such inflictions that humans would face. Now that doesn't mean your guy can exist at the bottom of the ocean with human durability it just means your guy can stay under water without worry of it killing you.

All character's abilities must be on the KMC Comic Book Tier in order to be considered for drafting. In short if they are not on the list then you can not have them. So if I were you guys I would try and get as many people on there as I could.

This will be a singles, double elimination tourney. So everyone will at least get two matches.

I think that about covers it all for now. If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 10:47 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 10:50 PM
Troop is currently offline Click here to Send Troop a Private Message Find more posts by Troop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

thumb up thumb up double for me

one thing though, i notice that the speed force causes a lot of problems as it breaks too many rules. IMO ditch it.

Last edited by psycho gundam on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 10:54 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Now THIS is top notch. Actually it was the same idea I had. Curse you. Count me in.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:10 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
Now THIS is top notch. Actually it was the same idea I had. Curse you. Count me in.
Sorry then stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:17 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

I like the idea...I would certainly be interested in participating.

I just wonder if including if there would be balance issues with the class range being so wide.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:23 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cyberborg84
Jack o' All Trades

Been around long enough to read and watch a lot of the tournaments. I'd definitely like to join, unless you're gonna use Evangel's 1000-posts at least rule. Get my feet wet, if you know what I mean.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:26 PM
cyberborg84 is currently offline Click here to Send cyberborg84 a Private Message Find more posts by cyberborg84 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unnatural-POWER

Great idea pal yes

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:27 PM
Unnatural-POWER is currently offline Click here to Send Unnatural-POWER a Private Message Find more posts by Unnatural-POWER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

So...many.....damn....tournies...right....after...another no expression

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:28 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Master-Borg
I like the idea...I would certainly be interested in participating.

I just wonder if including if there would be balance issues with the class range being so wide.
I'm hoping the varying costs will help subset that.

Originally posted by cyberborg84
Been around long enough to read and watch a lot of the tournaments. I'd definitely like to join, unless you're gonna use Evangel's 1000-posts at least rule. Get my feet wet, if you know what I mean.
There will be a minimum 500 posts to enter.

Now this tournament won't start for a couple of more months and at least until the current tournies get done so there is a chance that you can reach that mark before then.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:32 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Blair Wind
So...many.....damn....tournies...right....after...another no expression

Don't worry I don't plan on starting mine right up after this. I would like for about around a month lay off before mine would officially start. stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:33 PM
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would certainly be interested in participating.

smile

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:35 PM
Troop is currently offline Click here to Send Troop a Private Message Find more posts by Troop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by Newjak

yeah that should work...but I think you would need to do almost a trial run or some kinda experimental test just to see what the optimal values are.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:35 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unnatural-POWER

I would perhaps be interested in becoming a judge if that were ever possible smile

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:36 PM
Unnatural-POWER is currently offline Click here to Send Unnatural-POWER a Private Message Find more posts by Unnatural-POWER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dum Dum Dugan

I might be down for this.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:37 PM
Dum Dum Dugan is currently offline Click here to Send Dum Dum Dugan a Private Message Find more posts by Dum Dum Dugan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by Battlehammer
I might be down for this.
sweet...I get my chance to humiliate you publicly hahaha

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:40 PM
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

sweet...I get my chance to humiliate you publicly hahaha
no thumb down

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:41 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

yeah that should work...but I think you would need to do almost a trial run or some kinda experimental test just to see what the optimal values are.
I've been running various scenarios using the various stats. So far I have yet to find a particular strategy that makes it over powered.

Although like I said further testing will be done. This is just the guideline format for you guys to get a feel for what the tourney will be like.

Originally posted by Unnatural-POWER
I would perhaps be interested in becoming a judge if that were ever possible smile
That's cool in fact I would like to get a list of people who would like to judge cause I need them before the tourney ever gets underway. I have specific things I need a group of helpers to do.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:46 PM
cyberborg84
Jack o' All Trades

There will be a minimum 500 posts to enter.

Now this tournament won't start for a couple of more months and at least until the current tournies get done so there is a chance that you can reach that mark before then.
Hmmm, shame. I honestly doubt I'll be anywhere close to 500 posts a few months from now due to my posting habits. I just like to be reserved like that, y'know?

But who knows, maybe I might make it if things take longer. Oh well.

One question on something regarding attributes that wasn't that clear to me. If I draft an individual for, say, their strength, I can then draft another character for their speed if I want to? Like, to use an example, I draft Superman for his strength, I can then draft a Flash for his speed and Juggernaut for his durability. I'm sorry if the answer to what I'm asking is a no-brainer or I overlooked something reading your post, but I never saw anything clarifying this.

Thanks for being patient.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:49 PM
cyberborg84 is currently offline Click here to Send cyberborg84 a Private Message Find more posts by cyberborg84 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unnatural-POWER

That's cool in fact I would like to get a list of people who would like to judge cause I need them before the tourney ever gets underway. I have specific things I need a group of helpers to do.

Then count me in for judging if you'd like yes

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 11:49 PM