KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Warp Straffing

Warp Straffing
Started by: Big Len

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Big Len
Restricted

Account Restricted

Warp Straffing

I'm hoping the new film will show like TOS did that the Enterprise could fire phasers accurately whilst at warp. The original Enterprise was awesome!

Old Post May 4th, 2008 08:26 PM
Big Len is currently offline Click here to Send Big Len a Private Message Find more posts by Big Len Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Re: Warp Straffing

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Big Len
I'm hoping the new film will show like TOS did that the Enterprise could fire phasers accurately whilst at warp. The original Enterprise was awesome!
I'm pretty phasers were used at warp in both Ds9 and Voyager. *shrugs*

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 5th, 2008 05:53 AM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Re: Re: Warp Straffing

Originally posted by Acrosurge
I'm pretty phasers were used at warp in both Ds9 and Voyager. *shrugs*

I am almost positive they have been fired while in warp....torpedoes can not be fired while in warp.......Thats how most of the games are btw

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post May 5th, 2008 04:48 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They fire torpedoes in warp often enough in the series.

The games are all over the place- continuity nightmare.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 5th, 2008 05:09 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Originally posted by Ushgarak

i know the games have those rules, but i cant say i have ever seen a torpedo fired while in warp in any show, not off the top of my head,thats allot of shows and episodes...and my memory aint what it used to be smokin'

But if you say they were ,i will take your word for it thumb up

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post May 5th, 2008 05:33 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Frankly the shows are a continuity nightmare as well. Mostly minor things but some of them really annoyed me.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 5th, 2008 05:53 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by starlock
i know the games have those rules, but i cant say i have ever seen a torpedo fired while in warp in any show, not off the top of my head,thats allot of shows and episodes...and my memory aint what it used to be smokin'

But if you say they were ,i will take your word for it thumb up
He's right. Torpedoes and phasers/disruptors have both been employed at warp in both the movies (ST:Nemesis, for example) and TNG-Voy. The Prometheus used weapons at warp and Voyager did the same against the Kazon. There are other instances, though these are the immediate examples that came to mind.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 5th, 2008 06:09 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Warp Straffing

Originally posted by starlock
I am almost positive they have been fired while in warp....torpedoes can not be fired while in warp.......Thats how most of the games are btw

they're fired rearwards at warp in Q-who are they not...when the borg are in pursuit of the enterprise?....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvi8...feature=related

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 5th, 2008 08:15 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Captain SEX
Restricted

Account Restricted

How often though is warp strafing used where a vehicle in warp firs on a sub light craft?

Captain Jack is a pretender!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 12:29 PM
Captain SEX is currently offline Click here to Send Captain SEX a Private Message Find more posts by Captain SEX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Captain SEX
How often though is warp strafing used where a vehicle in warp firs on a sub light craft?
That was fairly common during the original Star Trek. "The Ultimate Computer", "Balance of Terror" and "Elaan of Troyius", and ST:TMP all contain instances of FTL ships using weapons against sublight ships.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 04:29 PM
Captain SEX
Restricted

Account Restricted

That was fairly common during the original Star Trek. "The Ultimate Computer", "Balance of Terror" and "Elaan of Troyius", and ST:TMP all contain instances of FTL ships using weapons against sublight ships.

Yes, and we have not seen it at all since the original series. I am convinced this would give the Federation the edge of the Star Wars Galactic empire.

Captain Jack is a pretender!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 05:40 PM
Captain SEX is currently offline Click here to Send Captain SEX a Private Message Find more posts by Captain SEX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Captain SEX
Yes, and we have not seen it at all since the original series. I am convinced this would give the Federation the edge of the Star Wars Galactic empire.
It is an edge, no doubt, but do you think it is a definitive one?

In every instance of Warp Strafing in the original series, it was only done because the target ship was inhibited or unable to go to warp. I suppose that Warp Strafing wouldn't make much tactical difference against ships that can go FTL at a whim (which would be almost all the TNG ships onward). That might explain why we don't see it in the later series. It does not explain why the Klingons and the Dominion failed to use this technique against Ds9. Perhaps they would have been unable to deliver the bombardment necessary to penetrate the stations shields using only strafing techniques? We have only speculation.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:01 PM
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is an edge, no doubt, but do you think it is a definitive one?

In every instance of Warp Strafing in the original series, it was only done because the target ship was inhibited or unable to go to warp. I suppose that Warp Strafing wouldn't make much tactical difference against ships that can go FTL at a whim (which would be almost all the TNG ships onward). That might explain why we don't see it in the later series. It does not explain why the Klingons and the Dominion failed to use this technique against Ds9. Perhaps they would have been unable to deliver the bombardment necessary to penetrate the stations shields using only strafing techniques? We have only speculation.

A combination of warp and temporal torpedoes should do the trick.

Harcout Fenton Mudd: Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:07 PM
HARRY MUDD is currently offline Click here to Send HARRY MUDD a Private Message Find more posts by HARRY MUDD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by HARRY MUDD
A combination of warp and temporal torpedoes should do the trick.
Chroniton Torpedoes are pretty broken. Nothing like totally bypassing the shields and armor of your enemy! big grin

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:14 PM
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

Chroniton Torpedoes are pretty broken. Nothing like totally bypassing the shields and armor of your enemy! big grin

I think Star Wars is defeated.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:15 PM
HARRY MUDD is currently offline Click here to Send HARRY MUDD a Private Message Find more posts by HARRY MUDD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

They may have much faster FTl than Trek but, they do not fight at multiples of C and have no time tech.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:16 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

They may have much faster FTl than Trek but, they do not fight at multiples of C and have no time tech.
But they do have teh turb01zrs!!!1111 eek!

I beg your pardon. I'm done now. *securely chains inner fangeek*

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:24 PM
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

But they do have teh turb01zrs!!!1111 eek!

I beg your pardon. I'm done now.

But we have no evidence teh turbolasers can hit a ftl object. I remember getting banned from a forum for saying that.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:25 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

But we have no evidence teh turbolasers can hit a ftl object. I remember getting banned from a forum for saying that.
Doesn't matter! Turb01zrs FTW!1!!111

Darn fangeek! *very heavily sedates and securely chains inner fangeek*

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:29 PM
HARRY MUDD
Restricted

Account Restricted

Doesn't matter! Turb01zrs FTW!1!!111

Darn fangeek! *very heavily sedates and securely chains inner fangeek*

The name is hilarious isn't it "Turbo laser" 1010101010

Old Post May 6th, 2008 10:39 PM