KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Star Trek Tech

Star Trek Tech
Started by: Badabing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Badabing
Karen

Star Trek Tech

What tech is your favorite?

What tech is most probable to become real?

What tech has already become real?

A medical scanner similar to a tricorder.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...icorderinvented

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 1st, 2008 03:59 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

I always thought the cloaking device was very cool.

And actually, I can see that one becoming real. Japanese scientists already have a partial optic camo working.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:42 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

My favorite tech was the Holodeck. There's lots of real world applications that could come from that.

I think the tech that would be most beneficial to the Real World is the Replicator. An end to world hunger and also would be a step towards getting rid of capitalism if used properly (though, given our current social structure, it would likely be used for greed before need, sadly).

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post May 1st, 2008 05:08 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

If i am correct, the actual method of giving a shot to the patients(hypo sray) in the original series, was developed by the army years ago, but there were complications

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post May 1st, 2008 12:00 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

quote: (post)
Originally posted by illadelph12
My favorite tech was the Holodeck. There's lots of real world applications that could come from that.

I think the tech that would be most beneficial to the Real World is the Replicator. An end to world hunger .

This post. ^

Though the technology that rather frightens me is the transporter. Doesn't being chopped up into molecules like that kill a person? and then its actually a clone of you that's running around?

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:33 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Creshosk
This post. ^

Though the technology that rather frightens me is the transporter. Doesn't being chopped up into molecules like that kill a person? and then its actually a clone of you that's running around?

lol, im not sure... as seen by barclay, a person is awake during the process, it isn't instantaneous...

for cresh: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The...d_%28episode%29

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on May 1st, 2008 at 05:01 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:35 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Raoul
lol, im not sure... as seen by barclay, a person is awake during the process, it isn't instantaneous...

Wasn't it described as being a frozen moment in time? I'm trying to remember an episode that stated that...

For me, I've always loved the transporters. They have such great versatility and story-telling possibilities. The holodecks and replicators all use similar technology.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 1st, 2008 05:58 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

This post. ^

Acropo of that, there actually was an episode that dealt with that issue. 2nd chances I believe it was called. It was discovered Riker had a clone created from a transporter accident. The clone took the name Thomas, after Riker's middle name.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:40 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Acropo of that, there actually was an episode that dealt with that issue. 2nd chances I believe it was called. It was discovered Riker had a clone created from a transporter accident. The clone took the name Thomas, after Riker's middle name.

yes i remember that smile

Also Scotty was able to store his body in transporter banks? and was rescued many years later......who rescued him? what show?

Old Post May 1st, 2008 07:20 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by starlock
yes i remember that smile

Also Scotty was able to store his body in transporter banks? and was rescued many years later......who rescued him? what show?

relics, great episode...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 1st, 2008 07:21 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

transporters are coming on to be scientific fact...scientists have managed to transport energy from 1 area to another in devices not unlike the pods in "the fly"

as for the piece of tech i think is the best in star trek...in the next gen episode "relics"...i thought the portrayal of the dyson's sphere was very well done

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 1st, 2008 09:53 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by jaden101
transporters are coming on to be scientific fact...scientists have managed to transport energy from 1 area to another in devices not unlike the pods in "the fly"

They moved the quantum state of a single atom, IIRC.

That's a long way from teleporting matter. In fact the way teleporters work on Star Trek is simply impossible without the "Heisenburg Compensators" (a bit of unexplained rubber science).

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:08 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
They moved the quantum state of a single atom, IIRC.

That's a long way from teleporting matter. In fact the way teleporters work on Star Trek is simply impossible without the "Heisenburg Compensators" (a bit of unexplained rubber science).

yeah, i remember lol'ing at that...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:15 PM
Creshosk

Originally posted by Raoul

That's the one. Thank you. Now if only the technology in that could be made safe for humans to use... I mean obviously not but still...

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 01:30 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That's the one. Thank you. Now if only the technology in that could be made safe for humans to use... I mean obviously not but still...

glad to help... and yeah, i know, t'would be awesome...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 02:29 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

another piece of tech i thought was cool, and again maybe someone can help me with what episode it was on, i think it was in voyager when they came across what appeared to be a planet that was entirely covered in water but infact ended up being a machine in the middle that effectively sucked all the water off a planets surface...if memory serves me right it was made by the people on the planet because the planet was in danger and they existed in the ocean....so to save themselves they simply moved the water off the planet and out of harms way...

you cant beat a borg cube for sheer mean-looking-ness...the idea that space is a vacum and so there is no need for aerodynamics so they just built big giant cubes was fecking ace

in terms of a being with immense tech is the advanced borg drone in voyager that was created using parts of the docs futuristic holo-emitter...that was one cool looking drone

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 3rd, 2008 02:27 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

I always thought the holographic doctor was a great addition to the tech and deveplopment of the federation

Old Post May 28th, 2008 11:38 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by starlock
I always thought the holographic doctor was a great addition to the tech and deveplopment of the federation
True. With some simple hologrid enhancements, you could potentially have hundreds of holodocs running around in times of emergency. I wonder why they never capitalized on such an idea during Voyager? I mean, they projected multiple ships into space, why not multiple docs within the ship?

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 28th, 2008 03:35 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Yes, I wouldn't want to ride in a transporter either. Even with Barclay being conscious in that one episode.

I think tricorders are pretty fly. Having that much utility in one hand held device is very cool.

Something we already have are padds. PDAs have come a long way.

Old Post May 30th, 2008 05:36 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Originally posted by Acrosurge
True. With some simple hologrid enhancements, you could potentially have hundreds of holodocs running around in times of emergency. I wonder why they never capitalized on such an idea during Voyager? I mean, they projected multiple ships into space, why not multiple docs within the ship?

Most likely a lack of processing power and memory space. (Show explanation).

Or.......t'would diminish his uniqueness. stick out tongue (Script explanation)

Old Post May 30th, 2008 05:45 AM