KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » EVANGEL94's Final Slugfest Tournament Discussion Thread: Questions, Comments, & Talk

EVANGEL94's Final Slugfest Tournament Discussion Thread: Questions, Comments, & Talk
Started by: Evangel94

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (76): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Evangel94
Premium Member

EVANGEL94's Final Slugfest Tournament Discussion Thread: Questions, Comments, & Talk

This thread is for general discussion of the Final Slugfest Tournament. Any questions or comments should be posted in this thread. Feel free to share team ideas or possibilities. I will answer any questions put forth by the tournament particiants.

The 1st draft is set to begin February 18th this Monday. After the final draft day, a schedule will be posted in this thread.

Link to the rules:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=1

Here are the list of participants"

quote:

Tournament Director and Host: Evangel94

Emergency Sub-Director: Badabing

1. King Kandy
2. Devil Lance
3. Papa Smurph
4. Darthgoober
5. Symmetric Chaos
6. Laminator_X
7. SmurphSmash!
8. Tony Stark
9. Mr. Biscuits
10. <Reserved> - (awaiting confirmation)
11. <Reserved> - (awaiting confirmation)
12. <Reserved> - (secret participant)

To those who have not confirmed with me recently about your reserved spot in the tournament, you have until the end of the 1st draft to claim your spot. After the end of the first draft you will be dropped.

EVANGEL94's Tourney Odd's Thread

Forever Young...

Last edited by Badabing on Mar 1st, 2008 at 07:18 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 09:12 AM
Evangel94 is currently offline Click here to Send Evangel94 a Private Message Find more posts by Evangel94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tony Stark
Mr. All Day

Disregaurd my last question on the first thread. Didn't see this one up... embarrasment

Attachment: iron_man_vs_green_lantern[1].jpg
This has been downloaded 557 time(s).

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 11:50 AM
Tony Stark is currently offline Click here to Send Tony Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Tony Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

I have a question about power copier's. Is the 8pt. cost automatically tacked on to someone like Super Adaptoid if he wan't to use the powers he already has access to, or is it something that you just have to pay if you want to copy the powers of your opponents?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 02:36 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laminator_X
Once & Future KMC Hawkeye

Regarding some old business:

You said Kang is above Herald, and thus unavailable. Without Time Manipulation, what would make him so? What about buying Dr Strange or Rip Hunter with Time Manipulation?

In reference to the Thunderbolt, you said that Thunderbolt with Time Manipulation would be 39 pts and thus not do-able. However, my understanding was that under the rules, 20 pt characters (like the Thunderbolt) don't need to pay an additional cost for their various abilities. Could you resolve this contradiction?

Also WRT thunderbolt, who is controlling it? Is the master included in the 20 pts, or do we need to spend an additional point to buy Jakeem or Johnny? If the latter, could any character we purchase be specified as its master?

If we wish to buy an Infinity Gem, do we also need to buy the powers that it should grant? Example: If one buys the Mind Gem, do you also need to buy Mind Control?

...You are Number Six. Respect Popeye

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 05:47 PM
Laminator_X is currently offline Click here to Send Laminator_X a Private Message Find more posts by Laminator_X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evangel94
Premium Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Regarding some old business:

You said Kang is above Herald, and thus unavailable. Without Time Manipulation, what would make him so? What about buying Dr Strange or Rip Hunter with Time Manipulation?

Kang drained Thor's mjolnir enchantment of it's ability to travel through time. His 40th Century and above tech alone to me puts him at least above regular Herald level if he was able to do that to Thor's hammer. However, you are free to try to argue that he should be lowered, I am listening.

Dr. Strange can manipulate time up to a certain extent yes. If you want to use any specific time manipulating spells, then you would have to pay for it. If its not listed on the abilities list, you are free to use it.

However Dr. Strange is 6 points. With Time Manipulation (19 points) the total cost os now 25 points. However, since the default is that no one gets any prep, you would have to argue that Dr. Strange could pull that spell off without any prior preparation, and while fighting off
the opposing team. So there is a drawback if you want to attempt it.

Offhand, I do not know who Rip Hunter is. Could you please provide a link?
In reference to the Thunderbolt, you said that Thunderbolt with Time Manipulation would be 39 pts and thus not do-able. However, my understanding was that under the rules, 20 pt characters (like the Thunderbolt) don't need to pay an additional cost for their various abilities. Could you resolve this contradiction?

I apologize. I was a little tired and didn't catch that mistake. Thunderbolt is a 20 point character and doesn't need to pay for his powers. However, I don't recall Thunderbolt being able to manipulate Time. I put him at 20 due him being able to bend reality itself (which is a very powerful ability) with his mind to push his body way beyond its limits. Could you please provide an example of him stopping time? Also could you provide a link to thunderbolt so you and I are on the same page when discussing this character?

Also WRT thunderbolt, who is controlling it? Is the master included in the 20 pts, or do we need to spend an additional point to buy Jakeem or Johnny? If the latter, could any character we purchase be specified as its master?

??

Could you be a little more specific and provide links to the bios of characters you are talking about? Off-hand I am not sure who you are refering to.

In fact to all participants, from now on, please provide all links to characters you are refering to so I can properly make a decision.

If we wish to buy an Infinity Gem, do we also need to buy the powers that it should grant? Example: If one buys the Mind Gem, do you also need to buy Mind Control?

Well if you want to directly take over there body and use it as if it were your own puppet then yes, you need to buy mind control. However, the mind gem can amp up the normal mental abilities of the character.

Without directly controlling the person's body, with the mind gem, you could argue that your character can attempt to push past mental defenses others have and make them think people who are there aren't, make them see illusions, change what they are seeing, make them hear loud deafening noises that aren't there, make them think they are free-fall in mid-air, falling into quicksand, or drowning in water, and make them feel the mental pain of all these events effectively making them ineffective in battle.

Forever Young...

Last edited by Evangel94 on Feb 13th, 2008 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 07:41 PM
Evangel94 is currently offline Click here to Send Evangel94 a Private Message Find more posts by Evangel94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Jesus christ Evangel...........The Thunderbolt is a 5D imp. No one in this tournament or any possible merger can stop him.

Almost anything Mr. Mxy has done, the imp can do. There's no limit to his power, save the command of whoever has control over him. And if no one is controlling him, he's effectively godlike. Beyond the power of the Infinity Gauntlet. no expression

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 07:47 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evangel94
Premium Member

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Jesus christ Evangel...........The Thunderbolt is a 5D imp. No one in this tournament or any possible merger can stop him.

Almost anything Mr. Mxy has done, the imp can do. There's no limit to his power, save the command of whoever has control over him. And if no one is controlling him, he's effectively godlike. Beyond the power of the Infinity Gauntlet. no expression

Before I answer, where are you getting your information on Thunderbolt? I am just curious. We don't seem to have the same point of reference here. If its wikipedia, I can understand why there may some trouble with its limited general paragraph entry on the character. If its another site, could you please provide the link so I can see what you are talking about.

Forever Young...

Last edited by Evangel94 on Feb 13th, 2008 at 07:58 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 07:54 PM
Papa Smurph
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it's based on that whole Morrison JSA/JLA crossover which was basically Thunderbolt's OW@W

Oh and the Mordru arc in JSA

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 07:58 PM
Papa Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Papa Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Papa Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evangel94
Premium Member

Originally posted by Evangel94
Kang drained Thor's mjolnir enchantment of it's ability to travel through time. His 40th Century and above tech alone to me puts him at least above regular Herald level if he was able to do that to Thor's hammer. However, you are free to try to argue that he should be lowered, I am listening.

Sorry, I mean 30th Century, not 40th century tech.

Forever Young...

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 07:58 PM
Evangel94
Premium Member

Announcement

To all participants, when you are discussing a character please provide a link to a biography on website. I tend to frown on wikipedia somewhat due to its lack of specifics on non-popular/older/not as well known characters, but I will not stop you from using wikipedia entries. All that I ask is that if you have a character in question, and you use wikipedia, please provide a second website bio, or scans of the character as a secondary source.

Also, for the benefit of everyone in this thread, please ask questions regarding characters/rules/regulations/etc to this thread for everyone to see and learn from. Thank you.

-Evangel94

Forever Young...

Last edited by Evangel94 on Feb 13th, 2008 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:02 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Before I answer, where are you getting your information on Thunderbolt? I am just curious. We don't seem to have the same point of reference here. If its wikipedia, I can understand why there may some trouble with its limited general paragraph entry on the character. If its another site, could you please provide the link so I can see what you are talking about.

What the f**k? It's common knowledge.......... Everyone knows he's a 5D imp. Why do you think there's so much griping? And the arc Stacks is refering to is called Fifth Dimension war. Not sure what the Mordru arc is called.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:03 PM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papa Smurph
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eh after thinking about it T-Bolt isn't really as impressive as someone like Onslaught who could be brought down with the right merger of characters and he's still in-character which means he'll frown upon using more brutal tactics.

Thunderbolt

vs

Sand
Wildcat
Terrific
Captain Marvel
Dr. Fate
Powergirl

You think he's going to be inclined to do something like whipe them out? You don't think Terrific couldn't come up with a way to bring down one of the more prominent members or to talk him down?

Last edited by Papa Smurph on Feb 13th, 2008 at 08:07 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:05 PM
Papa Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Papa Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Papa Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evangel94
Premium Member

What the f**k? It's common knowledge.......... Everyone knows he's a 5D imp. Why do you think there's so much griping? And the arc Stacks is refering to is called Fifth Dimension war. Not sure what the Mordru arc is called.

Since he is a character in question then he must not be common to many. Plus there are at least 3 to 4 different Thunderbolts, so to prevent any confusion please provide a link to the character version you are talking about. It's just a little something I am asking. If you cannot do so at this time, then we can wait until Laminator_X posts a link or scans so I can verify with him and be on the same page as him.

Forever Young...

Last edited by Evangel94 on Feb 13th, 2008 at 08:11 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:08 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

What the f**k? T-bolt is an I-win card. Just merge him with someone who has no ethics. Or give command to someone like that. T-bolt would blink Onslaught out of existence.

I provide a link? I provide one? You're the one who put him in Prime Herald. There's only 1 Thunderbolt who belongs in that class.

And the fact that I have to prove who he is, is insulting. thumb down

Last edited by TricksterPriest on Feb 13th, 2008 at 08:11 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:08 PM
Evangel94
Premium Member

Originally posted by Papa Smurph
Eh after thinking about it T-Bolt isn't really as impressive as someone like Onslaught who could be brought down with the right merger of characters and he's still in-character which means he'll frown upon using more brutal tactics.

Thunderbolt

vs

Sand
Wildcat
Terrific
Captain Marvel
Dr. Fate
Powergirl

You think he's going to be inclined to do something like whipe them out? You don't think Terrific couldn't come up with a way to bring down one of the more prominent members or to talk him down?

Please posts links to characters you are refering to at least once, so everyone can see who you are refering to, which character version you are talking about, and which specific power you are referencing. This is for everyone's benefit.

Forever Young...

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:12 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

his plan would fail. You CAN'T beat a 5D imp. And this is a tournament, there is no talking someone down.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:15 PM
Evangel94
Premium Member

What the f**k? T-bolt is an I-win card. Just merge him with someone who has no ethics. Or give command to someone like that. T-bolt would blink Onslaught out of existence.

I provide a link? I provide one? You're the one who put him in Prime Herald. There's only 1 Thunderbolt who belongs in that class.

And the fact that I have to prove who he is, is insulting. thumb down

I am not asking you to prove who he is. I have an idea generally who you are refering to, but it order for me, you, and everyone else reading, voting, and participating in this tournament to be on clear, a link to good bio is necessary. I also ask that you refrain from making excessive negative comments in the future. However constructive criticism is appreciated.

Forever Young...

Last edited by Evangel94 on Feb 13th, 2008 at 08:19 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:15 PM
Papa Smurph
Restricted

Account Restricted

And this is a tournament, there is no talking someone down.

Characters are in-character with the possibility of in-fighting amongst each other, you can pretty easily talk someone down.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:20 PM
Evangel94
Premium Member

his plan would fail. You CAN'T beat a 5D imp. And this is a tournament, there is no talking someone down.

That is really up to the circumstances of the battle, and if the participant can argue it convincingly that enough voters are convinced then it may happen. If I recall correctly, didn't Superman beat Mr. Mxy on a few occasions by outwitting him with his mind? Anything is possible if you are able to convincingly argue your point in your write-up and debate without breaking the rules.

Forever Young...

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:22 PM
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

I am not asking you to prove who he is. I have an idea generally who you are refering to, but it order for me, you, and everyone else reading, voting, and participating in this tournament to be on clear, a link to good bio is necessary. I also ask that you refrain from making excessive negative comments in the future.

.............This is beyond the pale. This is comics 101. The only real response is to drop him from the list. There's no rational or reasonable explanation for keeping him in this. You put a being more powerful than abstracts into this tournament. What the f**k?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 08:25 PM