KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Morgoth VS Eru

Morgoth VS Eru
Started by: Burning thought

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Morgoth VS Eru

this isnt exactley a fight, ofc Eru could prob crush him and all the valour with less than a movement if he so wished to but i was wondering

is he able to destroy morgoth or is he allowing morgoth to do all these terrible things..i mean in the Silmarillion he wipes out the Numenor peoples and swallows nearly all of them into the sea, almost their whole race...simply for "almost" making an attack on the Valour....however after all the terrible things Morgoth has done, inlcuding corrupting the world in the first place, why didnt Eru just erase him and allow his world to go on similiar to the way he did the Numenor

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2007 07:57 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

I'm under the impression that eru left all the control of arda to the valar and never interrupted anymore since it was created. I might be wrong. gotta look it up.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2007 09:16 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

well he destroyed the Numerons after the Valour sought his aid in the fall of numenor which is long after creation

it says "manwe called upon Illuvatar and for that time the valour held down their goverment of arda and illuvatar let forth his powers" something like that

Last edited by Burning thought on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 09:50 PM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2007 09:47 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vanice
I'm under the impression that eru left all the control of arda to the valar and never interrupted anymore since it was created. I might be wrong. gotta look it up.

You're right.

The Valar were given governance of Eä, and in the Valaquenta it says the following: "[...] and it was their [the Valar and Valiër's] task to achieve it, and by their labour to fulfil the vision which they had seen," (The Silmarillion, p.15).

Originally posted by Burning thought
well he destroyed the Numerons after the Valour sought his aid in the fall of numenor which is long after creation

it says "manwe called upon Illuvatar and for that time the valour held down their goverment of arda and illuvatar let forth his powers" something like that

That was a special case. The Valar appear to have been pretty much forbidden to harm the Children of Ilúvatar, even if they sought to cause harm to the Immortal in Aman. So, Manwë called upon the help of Ilúvatar to intercede in the matter of the rebellious Númenóreans.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2007 01:27 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by de Peverel
You're right.

The Valar were given governance of Eä, and in the Valaquenta it says the following: "[...] and it was their [the Valar and Valiër's] task to achieve it, and by their labour to fulfil the vision which they had seen," (The Silmarillion, p.15).

That was a special case. The Valar appear to have been pretty much forbidden to harm the Children of Ilúvatar, even if they sought to cause harm to the Immortal in Aman. So, Manwë called upon the help of Ilúvatar to intercede in the matter of the rebellious Númenóreans.

yes i thought so, it just seems strange that the Valour have to put all this effort into Destroying Morgoth and his minions and allowed him to cause so much hurt when Eru just oblivterates things, ime sure hes knowledgable of all these things Morgoth has done and so its still peculier to me that he doesnt sent forth his power unto forgoth...but then i suppose we wouldnt have a story smile

Old Post Apr 4th, 2007 07:25 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Ok...going by the thread (Morgoth vs Eru) and not just crying that Eru gave the Valour control I'll actually answer the question.

Eru would win.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 09:42 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by Burning thought
yes i thought so, it just seems strange that the Valour have to put all this effort into Destroying Morgoth and his minions and allowed him to cause so much hurt when Eru just oblivterates things, ime sure hes knowledgable of all these things Morgoth has done and so its still peculier to me that he doesnt sent forth his power unto forgoth...but then i suppose we wouldnt have a story smile

Exactly.
People always complain, "If there's a God, then why doesn't he do this," or "Why doesn't he do that." Its simple: He doesn't want to interfere with our existence. If it ever got to such a ridiculous point that the Valar had not chance of defeating Melcor, Eru would have cast Melcor out himself (or by his own will alone).

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Ok...going by the thread (Morgoth vs Eru) and not just crying that Eru gave the Valour control I'll actually answer the question.

Eru would win.

yes

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 01:57 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

My opinion is that Eru was showing an example of his power to man - by opening the Abyss. Bassicaly to scare them.

I personally think the Valar did nothing much to stop Morgoth until it was far beyond point of caring. Too many men and elves died when all it took was asking "my man" Tulkas to take out Morgoth and use him as a nice rug.

Meh, it's Tolkien's work....and he is a geniuse, so how am I to argue?

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Apr 26th, 2007 03:43 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

This is like making a thread entitled "God vs Satan." Sure Satan is powerful but God is all powerful. God > Satan.

In the same manner Morgoth is Satan and Eru is God so Eru > Morgoth by complete logic.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2007 02:04 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IAmRational

We can relate this to our own world; How can God let errible events such as the holocaust occur if he is able to stop it? The answer is that God, or in this case Eru, gave free will to his creations, such as Morgoth (Melkor), and he does not wish to interfere. Of course Eru is entirely capable of defeating Morgoth just as much as God is capable of defeating me.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2007 11:49 PM
IAmRational is currently offline Click here to Send IAmRational a Private Message Find more posts by IAmRational Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamhal

Or maybe God doesn't exist... lol...

Old Post Nov 1st, 2007 10:02 PM
kamhal is currently offline Click here to Send kamhal a Private Message Find more posts by kamhal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cap'n Happy

Most of the post's have it right:

Eru = God

Morgoth/Melkor = Satan
The Valar = Archangels
The Ainur = lesser angels

After the creation, Eru released his active control over all that he created, and let his angels play out their appointed parts.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2008 07:59 AM
Cap'n Happy is currently offline Click here to Send Cap'n Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Cap'n Happy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire
Diverse, progress, change

Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
After the creation, Eru released his active control over all that he created, and let his angels play out their appointed parts.

Exactly. And in reality, there was NO such thing as 'free will' because Eru/Illuvatar had already "appointed" every being with their fate.

Makes you think... I personally don't believe in God, found it all too hard.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2008 10:52 AM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by kamhal
Or maybe God doesn't exist... lol...

Or maybe God just let's us suffer consequences to are own stupid actions. But the entire fight is pointless seeing that Eru is above all in the LotR universe. It just shows that we're running out of ideas for the LotR thread.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2008 01:42 AM