KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Reading assignments you actually liked

Reading assignments you actually liked
Started by: 2D_MASTER

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Reading assignments you actually liked

Everybody had to read books in middle school, high school and college. Most people bought cliff notes, I actually read though these terrible books (which I will not name). Out of my Schooling experience there were only two books I was ASSIGNED to read, that I liked. A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens and Dante’s Inferno .

What books were you forced to read, only to end up enjoying them? Why did you like the book? Now choosing a book for a “book report” does not qualify. Neither do text books.

Shut up! It's Daddy, you shithead! Where's my bourbon?

Last edited by 2D_MASTER on May 15th, 2007 at 03:09 PM

Old Post May 15th, 2007 03:03 PM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

toni morrison's "song of solomon". vonnegut's "cat's cradle". a huge amount of 20th century american short stories, which introduced me to twain, hemingway, joyce carol oates, and o. henry.

the princess bride.

Old Post May 15th, 2007 05:47 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Well, there have been a variety of Mark Twain stories that I liked. Then there was Lord of the Flies and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It seems to me that there are probably others, but I can't recall what they are.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 11:34 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Quite a bit of poetry such as Paradise Lost by Milton and a lot of Blake and Coleridge.
Novel wise - A Picture Of Dorian Gray, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post May 16th, 2007 11:41 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Good choices.

What exactly does a reading assignment entail?

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:01 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Good choices.

What exactly does a reading assignment entail?

I described the criteria above. Basically a book, or any piece of literature you HAD to read for a class. But obviously it cant be a text book.

Originally posted by Gregory
Well, there have been a variety of Mark Twain stories that I liked. Then there was Lord of the Flies and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It seems to me that there are probably others, but I can't recall what they are.

Ha, I loved Lord of the flies .

Last edited by 2D_MASTER on May 17th, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:29 AM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I described the criteria above. Basically a book, or any piece of literature you HAD to read for a class. But obviously it cant be a text book.

Well, on English courses many texts are on a syllabus, and thus need to be read. I always thought a reading assignment was a random thing.

Then again, the US system is odd.

So I suppose it just means a text you had to read for a course.

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:35 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Well, on English courses many texts are on a syllabus, and thus need to be read. I always thought a reading assignment was a random thing.

Then again, the US system is odd.

So I suppose it just means a text you had to read for a course.

Yeah, you got it. I did'nt want to confuse anybody.

Last edited by 2D_MASTER on May 17th, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Old Post May 17th, 2007 12:40 AM
PONG_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Meh... This makes me feel real dorky. I really enjoyed Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, The Third Policeman, Catcher in the Rye (no matter how overrated people think it is), and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. All of these books (except for maybe The Third Policeman) dealt with struggling to have power over something or someone, and the theme of power in novels or films has always interested me. Even in Catcher in the Rye, the protagonist/narrator Holden Caulfield is wanting to have control over young children's innocence.

Hello bebe.

Old Post May 21st, 2007 09:43 PM
PONG_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send PONG_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by PONG_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Lord of the Flies and Great Gatsby

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post May 22nd, 2007 03:03 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BigRed

A Tale of Two Cities by far. It was an awesome book and I'm probably going to read it again since the last time I did was in Middle School.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 11:08 AM
BigRed is currently offline Click here to Send BigRed a Private Message Find more posts by BigRed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Ordinary People and The Stranger were the only two assigned books I really enjoyed in high school.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 12:39 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote