KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is atheism a sin?

Is atheism a sin?
Started by: Null ARC Avis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Null ARC Avis
The best, the elite.

Is atheism a sin?

If so, I AM GOING TO HELL!!!!! that okay, i dont believe in hell big grin Do you think it is a sin, and if so, why?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 04:50 PM
Null ARC Avis is currently offline Click here to Send Null ARC Avis a Private Message Find more posts by Null ARC Avis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I had a long Christian upbringing and there's nothing I know of that says atheism is a sin. Jesus did mention something about "the only way to the Father is through me" but that doesn't make it a sin not to be a Christian and much of the bible contradicts that stance, IMO. Being a good person is generally more important than being specifically religious.

Being a dick about being an atheist would probably get you sent to hell.

Also, sinning doesn't equal going to hell. I can't imagine why people think it would be so black and white.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 05:56 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I had a long Christian upbringing and there's nothing I know of that says atheism is a sin. Jesus did mention something about "the only way to the Father is through me" but that doesn't make it a sin not to be a Christian and much of the bible contradicts that stance, IMO. Being a good person is generally more important than being specifically religious.

Being a dick about being an atheist would probably get you sent to hell.

Also, sinning doesn't equal going to hell. I can't imagine why people think it would be so black and white.
Maybe because it's actually even more black and white and people can't believe anyone would be that simplistic.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:18 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Bardock42
Maybe because it's actually even more black and white and people can't believe anyone would be that simplistic.

How can it be more black and white than black and white?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:19 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

How can it be more black and white than black and white?
It's more black and white than what you called black and white. no expression

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:31 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Bardock42
It's more black and white than what you called black and white. no expression

So it's all black or all white? I'm really confused, how can it get more simple than "any sin = hell, no sin = heaven".

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:55 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

for a start Hell doesnīt exist, Sheol was purposely mistranslated to scare the shit out of people so they join the church. It actually mean the "common grave of man".

As for "sin" it depends on which belief system you judging it by.

If you feel fine with yourself, have a conscious and donīt run around killing folk you should be ok.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 07:15 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Is atheism a sin?

Originally posted by Null ARC Avis
If so, I AM GOING TO HELL!!!!! that okay, i dont believe in hell big grin Do you think it is a sin, and if so, why?

The hell, as described in the bible, does not exist. Also, the god of the bible does not exist. Therefore, it really doesn't matter if atheism is a sin or not. BTW I'm not an atheist.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 07:17 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The hell, as described in the bible, does not exist. Also, the god of the bible does not exist. Therefore, it really doesn't matter if atheism is a sin or not. BTW I'm not an atheist.

It does, he does. Yes it does.

I just pwned your argument six ways from Sunday.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 08:03 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

It does, he does. Yes it does.

I just pwned your argument six ways from Sunday.

And missed my point.

If you believe in something, then that something will be real to you. However, if you do not believe in something, then that something is not real.

The answer to the question depends on whom the question is being asked too. I was answering it from my point of view. To say that something does or does not exist requires evidence. Nature is the evidence that I use, and a book is the evidence that a Christian would use. I feel that nature is stronger evidence then a book.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 08:26 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Null ARC Avis
The best, the elite.

Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

ahh. why not? what are you?

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 09:19 PM
Null ARC Avis is currently offline Click here to Send Null ARC Avis a Private Message Find more posts by Null ARC Avis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

And missed my point.

If you believe in something, then that something will be real to you. However, if you do not believe in something, then that something is not real.

The answer to the question depends on whom the question is being asked too. I was answering it from my point of view. To say that something does or does not exist requires evidence. Nature is the evidence that I use, and a book is the evidence that a Christian would use. I feel that nature is stronger evidence then a book.

So nihilists can walk through walls 'n shit?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 10:32 PM
tsilamini

denying the holy spirit is sin iirc

EDIT: and in Islam, any form of apostacy is sin

(obviously rational people of either religion can have much more tollorant beliefs)

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:42 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

So nihilists can walk through walls 'n shit?

According to String theory: Yes, but highly unlikely.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:44 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

Originally posted by Null ARC Avis
ahh. why not? what are you?

I am a Buddhist. I think the question "Is there a god?" to be a waist of time.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:46 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

There isn't a god, but there is a connective energy and inbetween that is something like nothingness which in it's self is still alive. I say alive in words that don't really mean alive like we are.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:51 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is atheism a sin?

I am a Buddhist. I think the question "Is there a god?" to be a waist of time.

"The only one who should be concerned with God's existence is God."

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 11:51 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

WhY? and what is this god?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 02:44 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Why is anyone entertaining the threads of a troll?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 03:32 AM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Isn't this a bit of an oxymoron? If someone is an atheist, then they don't believe in sin. Making the question moot, because they are forgiven (I think. This is coming from the State Fair, not from an understanding of the Christian Faith) when they accept Jebus into their heart. All prior sins are washed away.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2008 03:35 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote