KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom
Started by: Doc Ock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

quote:
I had never read Venom in the comic books, since they came after my time. Because of that, I didn't have a natural inclination toward him. And when I read those comics, at [producer] Avi Arad's urging, I didn't understand where Venom's humanity was. I know that kids think he looks cool, and they think he's a good villain for Spider-Man. I actually didn't. What was it about Peter's own makeup that this villain represented some weaker or darker side to? Just looking like a dark version of him is not enough for me. The more I read [Venom stories], the less interested I became.

Source: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,200...0037557,00.html

I have to say I totally agree with Sam. Venom as a character is extremely weak. His popularity stems from the cool look, and the fact that he is simply a villain with Spidey's powers.

Scratch the surface and there's nothing much beneath. Even in terms of being a villain he has accomplished nothing substantial against Spidey. He's so weak that they had to produce a bunch of rip off symbiote characters to try and keep the whole concept fresh.

Last edited by Doc Ock on Dec 19th, 2008 at 03:02 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 03:00 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

This guy totaly screwed up SP 3 and the franchise after this. He should NEVER make another comic book movie again.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 03:29 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Doc Ock

I have to say I totally agree with Sam. Venom as a character is extremely weak. His popularity stems from the cool look, and the fact that he is simply a villain with Spidey's powers.

Scratch the surface and there's nothing much beneath. Even in terms of being a villain he has accomplished nothing substantial against Spidey. He's so weak that they had to produce a bunch of rip off symbiote characters to try and keep the whole concept fresh.

I don't like Venom due to his 'cool look' I like him because I think he is a good villain and I find his stories to be very interesting.....when it was Eddie. So saying that he is liked due to his look isn't entirely true.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 03:51 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Originally posted by Anti-Monitor
This guy totaly screwed up SP 3 and the franchise after this. He should NEVER make another comic book movie again.

That's rather harsh. The first two Spider-Man movies are extremely popular. I hardly think one bad movie ruins the whole franchise. The James Bond franchise has had a few terrible movies, but they didn't kill the franchise. They can bounce back by making Spider-Man 4 good.

And I think Raimi is correct. Venom is a weak character. He has no depth or substance. He's just a glorified stalker with a chip on his shoulder. Can't blame him for not wanting to use Venom in his movies.

And since Raimi is helming Spider-Man 4, I think it's safe to say we wont see a whiff of any symbiote related characters. Thank god.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 05:37 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

Re: Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

the cool look, and the fact that he is simply a villain with Spidey's powers.

This is what makes the rivalry interesting. This what attracted me to Venom in the first place. Part of it is because he looked cool, why would anyone like a villian that didn't look appealing? However, the fact he can play at Spidey's own game is what makes the whole concept of Venom interesting. Plus, I think with Green Goby and Doc Ock around, we have enough mad scientists.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 10:08 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Gobby and Ock have played Spidey at his own game. And they've done it better than Venom. They've infiltrated his life, hurt and killed people he cares about, more than able to match him in a battle.

Like Raimi said, Venom is merely eye candy.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 10:19 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Gobby and Ock have played Spidey at his own game. And they've done it better than Venom. They've infiltrated his life, hurt and killed people he cares about, more than able to match him in a battle.

Like Raimi said, Venom is merely eye candy.

Gobby has done worse than Ock, the only person Ock killed who Peter cared about was captain Stacy and that wasn't even on purpose...Gobby killed Gwen on purpose. Ock hasn't done anything to ruin Pete's life one bit. Ock's a good character but's not as evil as Gobby. The only possinle reason for you putting Ock next to Gobby is because your an Ock fanboy or something. Not to mention that Gobby is also the reason why Pete and MJ's baby died. Whats Ock done? He's kidnapped Aunt May once or twice, killed captain stacy (by accident) and he neally married Aunt May....thats it! Venom could kick Ocks ass anyday, I dunno if you've read any of the venom story lines but there have been many times where Venom has KO'd spidey and he is able to match spidey in battle, Venom doesn't trigger spideys spider sense which makes him even more dangerous.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 10:29 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

He was a lot better off not putting Vemon on film than saying screw it! I dont like him so I will make a pile of shit movie just for the fans.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 10:34 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by steverules_2
Gobby has done worse than Ock, the only person Ock killed who Peter cared about was captain Stacy and that wasn't even on purpose...Gobby killed Gwen on purpose.

That's not the point at all. The fact is that Ock was such a danger to the public that Spidey had to resort to such drastic measures to stop him, and it resulted in the death of someone he cared about.

Intentional or not, Ock was responsible for the death of Captain Stacy because he's THAT dangerous.

quote:
Ock hasn't done anything to ruin Pete's life one bit.

Infiltrated Peter's life thru May, trashed the Parker home and caused May to have a stroke, beat Black Cat to near death and put her in such critical condition that she needed open heart surgery, killed Captain Stacy.

quote:
Ock's a good character but's not as evil as Gobby.

Bull s***. Ock is every bit as evil as Gobby. Maybe even moreso. Goblin has never tried to kill an entire city just because he can. Ock has.

The only reason Norman has screwed with Peter's life more is because he learned Spidey's secret identity. Ock doesn't have that benefit, and he's still managed to really screw with Peter's life. That's extremely impressive for a villain who doesn't know his enemy's true identity.

What has Venom done, other than stalk and fight Spidey? Diddly squat. And he knows who Spidey really is, too. Pathetic.

quote:
The only possinle reason for you putting Ock next to Gobby is because your an Ock fanboy or something.

No, it's because I recognize class when I see it. And so does Sam Raimi. That's why he and Sony gave Goblin and Ock a movie each to themselves as the solo villains. They deserve it. They're THAT good.

quote:
I dunno if you've read any of the venom story lines but there have been many times where Venom has KO'd spidey and he is able to match spidey in battle

Oh big deal, he can match Spidey in a fight. 90% of the Spider-Man villains can do that.

Heck Morlun KILLED Spider-Man and ate his eyeball. Does that mean Morlun is the number one villain? Of course not.

quote:
Venom could kick Ocks ass anyday

Hahahaha, please! Ock kicked the Hulk's ass once. And he's Bruce Banner. He's super smart. Ock once held off the entire Sinister Six by himself while smoking a cigarette.

I have scans of all this if you'd like to see them.

With a half wit like Brock, Ock could probably convince him to kill himself.

Last edited by Doc Ock on Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 10:51 PM
steverules_2

Ock beating Hulk is pure BS, sure he beat Hulk but that was lamest thing ever, hulk could easily beat Ock that fight was just pure PIS. Hulks taken craps that could ock. Morlun killed spider-man which something ock seems to have failed to do, please do tell me when has ock killed spidey? Oh wait he hasn't. The only reason Ock doesn't know spidey's identity is because he's too stupid to even try and work it out, Norman was able to successfully find out spidey's identity by using his brain which is something ock might wanna try sometime. I remember Ock also needing spidey's help so that he could protect himself from the sinister six. Yes 90% of the villains match spiderman in a fight and yet you say how norman and Ock can do it and don't even think to mention that 90%! Since your going to use the whole 'ock beat hulk' thing why don't I use the fact that venom held is own against superman and spider-man smile Norman has more evil in his pinky than Ock does in his entire body. And if I remember correctly Ock got pwned by aunt may in the spider-man 2 movie.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:05 PM
harri
I may be a geek

No, it's because I recognize class when I see it. And so does Sam Raimi. That's why he and Sony gave Goblin and Ock a movie each to themselves as the solo villains. They deserve it. They're THAT good.

UMMMMM mate havn't you heard, venom's gonna get his own movie, he is THAT good.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:10 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Plus the only reason why Venom wasn't a solo villain was cause Raimi dislikes Venom erm

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:15 PM
harri
I may be a geek

yes, Raimi was extremely wrong to do that, i mean cmo'n sometimes he's gotta listen to the fans.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:17 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

If it had been venom on his own and had been done right it woulda made for a better storyline. Plus no.3 gained more money due to the fact that Venom was in that movie.

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:19 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Ock beating Hulk is pure BS, sure he beat Hulk but that was lamest thing ever, hulk could easily beat Ock that fight was just pure PIS.

Waaaah waaaah waaaah!

Don't throw a temper tantrum because the comic book writers don't agree with your opinion smile

quote:
Morlun killed spider-man which something ock seems to have failed to do, please do tell me when has ock killed spidey? Oh wait he hasn't.

Are you actually stupid or is this just an act? Ock, Goblin, or Venom have never killed Spidey. That's my POINT.

You were spouting that Venom can match Spidey in a fight and that somehow makes him something special. It doesn't. Venom is only doing what most of Spidey's enemies can do.

One of many reasons why Venom doesn't belong with the big boys. Sam Raimi is correct. He researched Venom's comics and saw the same thing anyone with half a brain can see. Venom is not a good villain. He has not done anything substantial as a character.

He's mere eye candy.

quote:
The only reason Ock doesn't know spidey's identity is because he's too stupid to even try and work it out

Oh you silly, silly, boy. Ock DID learn Spidey's identity during the Clone Saga, when he and Stunner captured and unmasked him. They retconned it when they brought Ock back from the dead after the Clone Saga by saying he didn't remeber anything just prior to his death.

Norman and Venom didn't figure out Spidey's identity either. Norman worked out a way to numb Peter's Spidey sense and then followed him home.

As for Venom, he was handed the knowledge on a silver plate thru the symbiote. Nothing clever about that.

Ock and Gobby employed strategies to learn Spidey's identity. Venom was just told it. Lame.

quote:
I remember Ock also needing spidey's help so that he could protect himself from the sinister six.

Never happened. Ock had no fear of the Six. He faced them head on.

quote:
Yes 90% of the villains match spiderman in a fight and yet you say how norman and Ock can do it and don't even think to mention that 90%!

I merely mentioned it as part of the many great things they've done.

quote:
Since your going to use the whole 'ock beat hulk' thing why don't I use the fact that venom held is own against superman and spider-man smile

That's fantastic. That's one of the many reasons why Norman is one of the big boys. No arguement there. Thanks for backing up my point smile

quote:
Norman has more evil in his pinky than Ock does in his entire body.

You still have failed to prove why you believe that.

It's just sour grapes because I've listed valid reasons and comic book instances that show Venom is inferior, and Ock and Gobby are vastly superior.

Don't shoot the messanger.

quote:
And if I remember correctly Ock got pwned by aunt may in the spider-man 2 movie. [/B]

And Goblin got pwned by failing to kill Spidey because the citizens threw trash at him. "You mess with Spidey then you mess with New York".

It was to show ordinary citizens stand up against adversity to support the hero. Corny but true.

But they rectified that by showing Ock pwning all the citizens on the train when they tried to protect Spidey.

harri
I may be a geek

Yep.

Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by harri

I've been hearing rumours about a Venom solo movie for years. Didn't happen then, and it's not going to happen now.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:21 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

If it had been venom on his own and had been done right it woulda made for a better storyline. Plus no.3 gained more money due to the fact that Venom was in that movie.

Or the fact that it had THREE villains in it instead of one.

Yet it's the least popular, and least critically acclaimed of the trilogy with critics and fans.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:22 PM
SamZED

Doc Ock, no offense but the idea that Venom is popular because of the way he looks is bs. I dont like him because he has simillar to Spider-man powers, i like the character. His background, the fact that he has his own moral code. Venom's actually deeper than ANY other Spider-man villain and the fact that Spider-man caused Venom to exist only makes it more interesting. Raimi didn't understand ALL that, which is the ONLY reason Spider-man 3 sucked ass.
Also, Venom is the only enemy Spider-man is REALLY affraid of.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Last edited by SamZED on Dec 19th, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:24 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Originally posted by harri

They wont make that. No way. That's been rumoured for years.

Why do you think they blew up Venom at the end of Spider-Man 3? If Sony wanted to continue with the character, he'd have lived. They'd have had Brock escape or put in prison etc. It's all baseless, mate.

Don't get your hopes up.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 11:26 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote