KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek and will ruine Star wars

JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek and will ruine Star wars
Started by: MrLostsoul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MrLostsoul

JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek and will ruine Star wars

Abrams ruined Star Trek. It didn't need a reboot, just better writers. Now execs want Abrams to do Star Wars. Star Wars and Star Trek were never meant to be alike. Having Abrams do both, is worse than bad, its death. Look at the reboots of Willie Wonka and Dukes of hazard. I know Abrams was not involved. But, I hate this trend to take big past success shows and movies, and f*ck them just to make a quick buck. I don't blame Abrams completely. What happen to fan loyalty. Star trek and Star Wars have the most hardcore fans. Star Trek fans are almost fanatical, they help bring back Star Trek for tv and movies, now they go to Abrams garbage. Are fans so desperate, theyre willing to go to an Abrams reboot? Example, Spock controls his feelings like all Vulcans. But according to Abrams, Spock can laugh, cry, p*ssy whipped by his girlfriend, and sound stupid. And Vulcans have no history with following logic and have bullies as kids. Thats so retarded. And Abrams rips off Gene and Star Trek so much, its like he just fast forwards through Star Trek shows and movies to recycle ideas and lines. And yet, people still go to see the movies. Say no to Abrams.
Abrams is like the borg. "HE invades our space, and we fall back. HE assimilates entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! Come on fans!!!! JJ Abrams ignores the history of these shows and movies. No reboot.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 03:16 AM
MrLostsoul is currently offline Click here to Send MrLostsoul a Private Message Find more posts by MrLostsoul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
COG Veteran
Teh GrOovY 1

No reboot.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 05:44 PM
COG Veteran is currently offline Click here to Send COG Veteran a Private Message Find more posts by COG Veteran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

More and more I've come to roll my eyes when I hear that an adaptation, sequel, or reboot has "ruined" a franchise. Regardless of how you view the Abrams Trek, it makes no sense to say he "ruined" Star Trek unless you think he somehow retroactively tarnished the five (six if you count TAS, and few do) television series that came before.

Personally, I would have preferred a sixth television series that takes the prime universe story forward rather than a series of movies that just reimagines the TOS era, but hey, it might still happen (though it's looking increasingly unlikely)

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 06:48 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Guess what - Star Trek was virtually dead until J.J. Abrams took over. No one else had a better idea until he and his team refreshed the concept. Going back to the original crew when they were younger was considered after Star Trek 5, but they didn't do it until they found there was no other direction.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 09:49 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I liked the new films. I see no reason why their can't be an alternate universe/timeline series. I was always hoping they'd expand more on the dark Mirrorverse concept from TOS that was followed up in DS9 and Enterprise anyway.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Dec 10th, 2013 12:22 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MrLostsoul
Abrams ruined Star Trek. It didn't need a reboot, just better writers. Now execs want Abrams to do Star Wars. Star Wars and Star Trek were never meant to be alike. Having Abrams do both, is worse than bad, its death. Look at the reboots of Willie Wonka and Dukes of hazard. I know Abrams was not involved. But, I hate this trend to take big past success shows and movies, and f*ck them just to make a quick buck. I don't blame Abrams completely. What happen to fan loyalty. Star trek and Star Wars have the most hardcore fans. Star Trek fans are almost fanatical, they help bring back Star Trek for tv and movies, now they go to Abrams garbage. Are fans so desperate, theyre willing to go to an Abrams reboot? Example, Spock controls his feelings like all Vulcans. But according to Abrams, Spock can laugh, cry, p*ssy whipped by his girlfriend, and sound stupid. And Vulcans have no history with following logic and have bullies as kids. Thats so retarded. And Abrams rips off Gene and Star Trek so much, its like he just fast forwards through Star Trek shows and movies to recycle ideas and lines. And yet, people still go to see the movies. Say no to Abrams.
Abrams is like the borg. "HE invades our space, and we fall back. HE assimilates entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! Come on fans!!!! JJ Abrams ignores the history of these shows and movies. No reboot.

No. You're actually factually wrong about the Vulcans too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 11th, 2013 04:49 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XanatosForever
Steward of RP

I heard somewhere that Abrams prefers Star Wars to Star Trek. If that's true, the chances of him making any attempt to ruin it are slim.

-"You have the best problems, Scenario. You really do. haermm"

Old Post Jan 21st, 2014 08:47 AM
XanatosForever is currently offline Click here to Send XanatosForever a Private Message Find more posts by XanatosForever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I didn't find the newer movies bad. I accepted them for what they were; reinterpretations.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
More and more I've come to roll my eyes when I hear that an adaptation, sequel, or reboot has "ruined" a franchise. Regardless of how you view the Abrams Trek, it makes no sense to say he "ruined" Star Trek unless you think he somehow retroactively tarnished the five (six if you count TAS, and few do) television series that came before.

Personally, I would have preferred a sixth television series that takes the prime universe story forward rather than a series of movies that just reimagines the TOS era, but hey, it might still happen (though it's looking increasingly unlikely)

This. So far, ST:O is about as close as I'm getting to continued storyline.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2014 07:04 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

George Lucas did a good enough job of ruining Star Wars himself with the prequel trilogy. JJ can't do any worse.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2014 12:38 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Apparently Michael Dorn is still trying to get his "Captain Worf" series going, so if he succeeds, the prime universe might get a bit more focus.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 24th, 2014 09:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

That would be interesting to see. Of course, Worf has had the longest continuing presence in the prime universe and has a wealth a character development. His bridge crew would need to be pretty solid.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2014 03:07 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

PREPARE FOR RRRRAMMING SPEED!!!!

Haha.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2014 06:53 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's what he says to his wife.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2014 06:54 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

That awkward moment when you sit back and realize you double-posted within your 15 minute edit window.

I lol'd though.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2014 10:15 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by jaden101
George Lucas did a good enough job of ruining Star Wars himself with the prequel trilogy. JJ can't do any worse.
JJ made the Trek franchise reputable again. Give me this universe any day over the prime universe.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2014 02:43 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Can't say I agree. Prime universe has so much more content and history. While the new ST rejuvenates the series and has the potential to go in new exciting directions, it also has the danger of retreading old ground with potentially less grace. Plus I don't remember any holodecks in the films, so automatically the era is inferior.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 12:16 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Just because holodecks weren't shown doesn't mean they don't exist. The thing about movies is you only have a set amount of time to cram everything you want into it. So there probably wasn't time to add a 10 minute holodeck scene or something.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 12:40 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Federation ships didn't have holodecks back then, so it's excusable.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 12:40 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Can't say I agree. Prime universe has so much more content and history. While the new ST rejuvenates the series and has the potential to go in new exciting directions, it also has the danger of retreading old ground with potentially less grace. Plus I don't remember any holodecks in the films, so automatically the era is inferior.

Recolored to separate offhand humor from intended point.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You guys, LULZ. Of course holodecks didn't exist back then.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 05:09 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

They did exist. They just weren't on Federation starships stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 05:16 AM