KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Who Writes the Best Superman?

Who Writes the Best Superman?
Started by: Enyalus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Gender: Male
Location: Drinking gasoline. Pissing napalm.

Who Writes the Best Superman?

I've seen the best issues of Superman thread, but...not this. So if its been done before, please merge or close.

But anywho, who do you think writes the best issues of Superman? I'm kinda hesitant to allow PC-era writers in this topic, but I guess its fine, too, if any of you wanna go that route.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 03:01 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

Regularly?

Johns, Busiek, and Loeb's work in the early 00's is what i prefer.

For events, nobody beats Morrison imo...

I miss Loeb. I like stories about the more human side of things. Marriage troubles, problems at the Planet. Loeb excelled at those imo... Nobody has realy done it as well since then...

Waid is good, as is Casey too...


__________________

.

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 20th, 2009 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 03:40 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kgkg
Vigilante

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

They are all good writers I personally like Kurt Busiek.


__________________

Stay Thirsty, My Friends.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 03:54 AM
kgkg is currently offline Click here to Send kgkg a Private Message Find more posts by kgkg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Gender: Male
Location: Drinking gasoline. Pissing napalm.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
Regularly?

Johns, Busiek, and Loeb's work in the early 00's is what i prefer.

For events, nobody beats Morrison imo...

I miss Loeb. I like stories about the more human side of things. Marriage troubles, problems at the Planet. Loeb excelled at those imo... Nobody has realy done it as well since then...

Waid is good, as is Casey too...

laughing out loud So basically, everyone?

I like Morrison, too. Johns and Busiek are always good IMO, but not....'wow,' y'know?

Moore's writing was always good. Ross, too!

Hmm...Paul Dini and Ross teamed up on a Superman book. Was excellent. Can't recall the name of it right now, but I'm sure it'll come to me.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 03:59 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kgkg
They are all good writers I personally like Kurt Busiek.


same here...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Enyalus
laughing out loud So basically, everyone?

I like Morrison, too. Johns and Busiek are always good IMO, but not....'wow,' y'know?

Moore's writing was always good. Ross, too!

Hmm...Paul Dini and Ross teamed up on a Superman book. Was excellent. Can't recall the name of it right now, but I'm sure it'll come to me.


Nah, i hate more than a few.

Joe Kelly, Dwayne McDuffie, James Robinson. Michael Green. Andy Lanning.

As far as Johns and Busiek goes, i think Johns writes wonderful Superman stories. His dialogue and setting (very reeve-esque at times) does grate, but he more than makes up for it. Last Son and Brainiac were damn near perfect imo...

I really like Busiek, even if he makes some weird story choices. I liked Back In Action (the one with the collector it was i think), but then he does that silly "Other Kryptonian" story, which wasn't essentially bad, just kind of pointless. I do think most of the time Busiek nails the dialogue, though...


__________________

.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 04:06 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Gender: Male
Location: Drinking gasoline. Pissing napalm.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
As far as Johns and Busiek goes, i think Johns writes wonderful Superman stories. His dialogue and setting (very reeve-esque at times) does grate, but he more than makes up for it. Last Son and Brainiac were damn near perfect imo...

The recent AC Brainiac storyline? Didn't pay attention that Johns did that. Yeah, I thought it was good, too.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
I really like Busiek, even if he makes some weird story choices. I liked Back In Action (the one with the collector it was i think), but then he does that silly "Other Kryptonian" story, which wasn't essentially bad, just kind of pointless. I do think most of the time Busiek nails the dialogue, though...

I was sort of conflicted about the Back in Action storyline. Because, part of me really liked it, and I thought it brought back that classic 'good guy' Superman feel. But at the same time, it felt a little too much like hero worship from the writer. I dunno.

The story I was thinking of was Peace on Earth by Dini and Ross. Amazing work. I like anything Dini does in general, all the way back to him writing Batman the Animated Series. big grin

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 04:14 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Enyalus

The recent AC Brainiac storyline? Didn't pay attention that Johns did that. Yeah, I thought it was good, too.


the aftermath with the funeral is brilliant too, imo...

quote:
I was sort of conflicted about the Back in Action storyline. Because, part of me really liked it, and I thought it brought back that classic 'good guy' Superman feel. But at the same time, it felt a little too much like hero worship from the writer. I dunno.


moreso than morrison in final crisis? stick out tongue

i think that's just busiek's way, though. i mean, it did show firestorm not trusting him, and superman having to prove himself to everyone. i just love that scene where he jumps in to the pit and everyone's wondering if he's just killed himself.

then he emerges, and people realise that he is the one and only.

when it comes down to it, it IS superman. this is a person who's loved by millions of people all over the planet. the writer might gush a little, but i think it's only fitting...

quote:
The story I was thinking of was Peace on Earth by Dini and Ross. Amazing work. I like anything Dini does in general, all the way back to him writing Batman the Animated Series. big grin


ah, that one. yeah, i liked that one, but ross's artwork isn't exactly my favourite anymore. it does work for that story though. it works brilliantly, and its very well written imo...

another guy who deserves mention, imo, is greg rucka. very solid superman writer.


__________________

.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 04:20 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Gender: Male
Location: Drinking gasoline. Pissing napalm.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
the aftermath with the funeral is brilliant too, imo...

Yup.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
moreso than morrison in final crisis? stick out tongue

laughing out loud Supes Beyond was great. Supes in the actual Final Crisis...geez. Just, no. On so many levels.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
the writer might gush a little, but i think it's only fitting...

You would. stick out tongue ....Should they do that with Cyclopes? wink

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
another guy who deserves mention, imo, is greg rucka. very solid superman writer.

How ya feel about Chuck Austen? All I can remember (that is memorable) offhand is Superman 188, where Supes is pissed the whole issue because a fan of his, who happens to be homeless, died. He acts like a dick the entire issue and I remember sitting there going, "Um, wow. What an ass." And then we find out at the end that that's why, and I feel bad. sad

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 04:28 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Enyalus
laughing out loud Supes Beyond was great. Supes in the actual Final Crisis...geez. Just, no. On so many levels.


you don't approve?

quote:
You would. stick out tongue ....Should they do that with Cyclopes? wink


no gushing, just good writing would do.

quote:
How ya feel about Chuck Austen? All I can remember (that is memorable) offhand is Superman 188, where Supes is pissed the whole issue because a fan of his, who happens to be homeless, died. He acts like a dick the entire issue and I remember sitting there going, "Um, wow. What an ass." And then we find out at the end that that's why, and I feel bad. sad


i hate austen. with a passion. imo, his work on x-men is horrible.

that said, the issue you just mentioned is one of my all time favourite superman issues. you actually get to see just how badly he takes not being able to save someone when he wants to. when he's holding her hand, and she just goes limp... the guy is heartbroken... it's so... so human, in so many ways.

that issue is actually one of the main ones that reinforced how much i love the character...


__________________

.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 04:34 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 07:19 AM.
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Who Writes the Best Superman?

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.