KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...
Started by: Harvey Dent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...

OK, Burton is a moron when it comes to Batman...I just saw Batman (1989) for the first time since I was a kid and noticed that Batman has heavy artillery equipped in his Batmobile and Batwing (chainguns, explosives, etc.) and tried to gun down the Joker and blows up buildings.

The movies seemed really bad to me an I don't see why Batman fans like this movie. (Unlike the first Superman movie which seems to have represented him correctly.)

Batman doesn't use guns or gun people down. Thus, Burton is very foolish when he was representing this character.

Coin lands on the bad head - we hit 'em hard."

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 11:15 PM
Harvey Dent is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Dent a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Dent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Well the stupidest part is that he locks on, fires missiles and shoots a hell of a lot of bullets at him...and misses. It'd have been more productive to just not have him fire at all.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 11:35 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

agreed. Ok, I seen Batman 89 about 3 times in my lifetime i think, one time in childhood, but when i rented it last month, I couldnt watch the whole thing! i couldnt sit through i just skipped chapters with boring dialogue...and stupid stuff...Bruce Wayne looking at people in his mansion through a mirror, stupid movie.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 11:43 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NoFate007
Well the stupidest part is that he locks on, fires missiles and shoots a hell of a lot of bullets at him...and misses. It'd have been more productive to just not have him fire at all.

Yeah what the hell was that???

Batman fires like 10 missiles and a huge spray of bullets at Joker,and not one hits him.Not one.And Joker just stands there with his arms stretched out too.

Then Joker pulls out a long barrelled gun and knocks the Batwing out of the sky with one shot.

LMAO! big grin

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 11:44 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Yeah what the hell was that???

Batman fires like 10 missiles and a huge spray of bullets at Joker,and not one hits him.Not one.And Joker just stands there with his arms stretched out too.

Then Joker pulls out a long barrelled gun and knocks the Batwing out of the sky with one shot.

LMAO! big grin

laughing oh man that is pathetic. one shot took the batwing out laughing

Old Post Nov 27th, 2005 11:56 PM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

It is, its totally pathetic....however that gun is cool lol. But one shot takes out the plane? Psh. The movie is good overall but its nothing compared to what it could've been. You gotta love some of the dialogue though...

"HE TOOK MY BALLOONS!!!......WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME HE HAD ONE OF THOSE...THINGS!!!"

or even one of the simple ones people don't mention often:

"You look fiiiine."
"....I didn't ask."

Another stupid thing: Twice in the film, someone shoots Batman in the body armor and he lays down, then gets back up. What a waste of time.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2005 12:10 AM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zarathustra

I don't see why it's so well regarded. I was just watching it yesterday and all I could think: It's campy. The fight scenes, on the whole, are pretty bad. The Batmobile looks downright silly. Keaton does not look the part, nor does he do a particularly good job with it. Same with the villain: I like Jack and all, but he's not playing the Joker. He's playing the same nut he plays in almost every movie, just this time he's grinning like an idiot all the time.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2005 04:04 AM
Zarathustra is currently offline Click here to Send Zarathustra a Private Message Find more posts by Zarathustra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nate100
Quietly taking it all in.

I dont think getting shot at point blank range and taking a coupla minutes to recover is stupid.

If anything, thats one of the most believable points of the movie next to that one guy breathing to stay alive and the other guy using a pen to write with.

The batwing super arsenal of doom with the wonky targeting system however is kinda lame.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2005 01:45 PM
nate100 is currently offline Click here to Send nate100 a Private Message Find more posts by nate100 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Listen to commentary on the DVD. He said something about never reading the Batman comics. Strange enough, Burton gave us a dark illustration of Batman. Something that Bob Kane had envision about the character's personality.

Originally posted by NoFate007

I think Batman missed on purpose. To test the Joker's reaction as he is under attack. But Joker wasn't fearless...he was just plain psychotic.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Nov 28th, 2005 at 06:00 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2005 05:58 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

Miffed

Originally posted by WindDancer
Listen to commentary on the DVD. He said something about never reading the Batman comics. Strange enough, Burton gave us a dark illustration of Batman. Something that Bob Kane had envision about the character's personality.

I think Batman missed on purpose. To test the Joker's reaction as he is under attack. But Joker wasn't fearless...he was just plain psychotic.

You're defending Burton too much to the point that you are starting to sound ridiculous.

Last edited by Harvey Dent on Nov 29th, 2005 at 05:58 AM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 05:52 AM
Harvey Dent is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Dent a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Dent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Harvey Dent
You're defending Burton too much to the point that you are starting to sound ridiculous.

There is nothing wind dancer says that sounds rediculous.

Originally posted by Doc Ock

That was a HUGE Barrel.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 12:43 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jenzie
you know my name .....

LA LA LA LA LA not listening LA LA LA LA LA

You can't deny the prize it may never fulfill you
It longs to kill you
Are you willing to die?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 09:13 PM
jenzie is currently offline Click here to Send jenzie a Private Message Find more posts by jenzie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Mando

That was a HUGE Barrel.

Don't be ridiculous.It was just a long barrel.Not huge just long.

He folded it back into a regular sized gun in the cathedral when he was walking up the stairs with Vicki.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 09:55 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Harvey Dent

And you fail to give credit where is due. Burton may have committed some errors in the film. However, give credit to the man for transforming and re-introducing The Caped Crusader as a dark and terrifying heroic character that Bob Kane had originally intended. Watch the documentaries of the DVD. Batman had many changes over the course of many decades. Burton's illustration of Batman did justice for the character.

Remenber! prior to the release of the 1989 film. Many people regarded Batman as the colorful and corny hero of the 1960's TV series. Thanks to Burton the franchise was re-born only to be flatten out by Joel in the 1997 film. And Thank the heavens Nolan for rescuing the franchise from falling into oblivion.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 12:19 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Remenber! prior to the release of the 1989 film. Many people regarded Batman as the colorful and corny hero of the 1960's TV series. Thanks to Burton the franchise was re-born only to be flatten out by Joel in the 1997 film. And Thank the heavens Nolan for rescuing the franchise from falling into oblivion.

Most definatley. It was able to transform from Adam west all the way to Christian bale, thanks to Burton.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 12:26 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zarathustra

Remenber! prior to the release of the 1989 film. Many people regarded Batman as the colorful and corny hero of the 1960's TV series. Thanks to Burton the franchise was re-born only to be flatten out by Joel in the 1997 film. And Thank the heavens Nolan for rescuing the franchise from falling into oblivion. [/B]

We note that this applies solely to film adaptations. Frank Miller and others before him had ensured Batman's comics got the grim treatment for some years earlier.
Inasmuch as Batman ('89) was a remarkable improvement from Adam West's time, I recognize that that's indisputable. In that they tried to do all the right things with Batman, I agree. It went for the right tone, the right aesthetic. They just did a poor job of it.
Credit where it is due, though. The film inspired Batman The Animated Series. That show being the ultimate non-comic expression of Batman, I thank my lucky stars that Burton made his film even though I can't make myself like the movie itself.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 12:39 AM
Zarathustra is currently offline Click here to Send Zarathustra a Private Message Find more posts by Zarathustra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Many Batman fans despise Adam West role as Batman. I've talk to some of them and they really hate it. I still love those cheesy one liners and comic situations he and Robin would get into it. That tv show may have been corny but I love it. laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 12:40 AM
Zarathustra

Adam West's Batman, along with a long list of other programs including The A-Team, are fantastic and entertaining. Not because they are well made but because they're just so damned campy

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 12:44 AM
jgiant
Subject is Lethal

Batman was awesome...Batman Returns was awesome...it was just another incarnation of batman that imo was kick ass...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 01:14 AM
jgiant is currently offline Click here to Send jgiant a Private Message Find more posts by jgiant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

Originally posted by Mando
There is nothing wind dancer says that sounds rediculous.

laughing Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me. laughing confused laughing confused

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2005 06:52 AM