KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Christmas Thread 2009

USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Christmas Thread 2009
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S STAR WARS GAME- Christmas Thread 2009

Merry Christmas, folks!

Star Wars RPing is still lurching back into gear, both off-line and online. The Renegade game has picked up some pace, which is good, and we can confidently expect the start of the new major storylines soon, with the current interludes being small distractions.

As promised, here is this year's Christmas bonus- a new episode in my brother's Inform-based 'Choose your own Adventure' series, set in his own take on a Knights of the Old Republic-style background. Although thousands of years before the current SW games, they are set in the same continuity and a certain amount of shared background can be discovered.

Last year, an unnamed Jedi found himself caught on the frontlines of a massive invasion by the Sith. His story will continue in the third episode, 'Generals of the Republic', which will follow next year. For now, though, we change perspective as we deal with the consequences of what that Jedi did...

-

The Sith invasion of the Republic has begun. The massed, elite forces of the Jovano warriors are smashing the borders of the Republic to pieces. Dozens of worlds fell on the first day, and hundreds more are following.

The Jovano owe complete allegiance to their revered living god Darth Malphas, the Lord of the Sith. It is he who commands the invasion. It is his first and greatest apprentice, Darth Varus, who leads it.

Yet Malphas has many apprentices- the Darths that run his empire. And in these days of triumph for the Sith, there has been one setback. One of his most talented Darths, Trayas, was entrusted by Malphas with a secret mission in the invasion of Damaria. On Damaria, resistance was led by a Jedi, caught up in the fighting by coincidence. Damaria fell- but Trayas' mission was not fulfilled. The Jedi killed Trayas (though reports on how he did it are somewhat confused...) and escaped the world along with a large number of refugees and the entire ruling council.

Trayas has failed- but the invasion goes on. And now, Trayas is to be replaced. His is the first death of a Darth by Jedi hands in an age. Normally, a Darth is replaced by the one who killed him. But what will Malphas do now?

Malphas' Sith empire has attracted many hopeful talent. One of them will be selected to be the new Darth. Malphas has put out news of a contest to be held to decide who it will be- only those willing to prove themselves need apply.

In 'Island of Fire', you play one of the new hopefuls that seeks to take the position of Darth.

Take a skilled Marauder, reasonably talented in all areas, competent in sabre and force alike. His additional talent with a gun may be looked down upon by others, but could be a real edge on the island- that is, if he can find one.

Or take a mighty Brute, an alien fiend of great strength and power. Lethal in a duel and with a regenerative physiology entirely immune to many of the environmental hazards on the island, he looks like a good candidate, if he can overcome his weakness with the force.

Or take a cunning Adept. His sabre skills are inferior to many other competitors. His skills with the Force are good... but not legendary. But he is armed with a quick mind, and a comprehensive knowledge of all things Sith that might come surprisingly in handy with a series of deathtraps built by a scholar such as Malphas...

Only one can survive the Island, and your competitors each have their great skills. Yet one being towers above them all. A more deadly duellist than you can be. Greater in body than the Brute. Greater in the Force than any rival. He is feared, he is the favourite... and most think he cannot lose.

Certainly no-one thinks you will be the one to beat him. Even your trainer was written you off. They don't even think you will survive long enough to meet him. Yet just one person- the most surprising of all- thinks there is more to you than others see.

Now it is your time to prove yourself. Can you survive Malphas' deadly traps? Can you fight through the skilled opponents and beasts that seek to kill you every step of the way? Can you find your way to the goal before the rising lava burns you to nothing? And at the end- how can you beat the unbeatable Dedrax Zeng?

The Island of Fire awaits...

-

Welcome to the Island of Fire, the first Dark Side game in this series. Where 'Fall of Damaria' was a relatively lightweight romp of fun and heroism as you took on Trayas and saved the day (and got a hold of a particular crystal that the current game Dark Siders end up with millennia later...), this game is a vicious bastard that will take you by the throat and crush you mercilessly. The Dark Side is harsh and unforgiving, and so is this game. The Island is hideously dangerous and will kill you repeatedly, and the death descriptions have become more intense in order to match this darker mood.

The game structure is more complex. Whilst Fall of Damaria had a series of alternate paths that connected various waypoints, island of Fire has a large open area that you can wonder back and forth about at your will. The main programming difficulties have related to getting this persistence working correctly without, say, dead things coming back to life due to issues with the event flags in the programming. The further you get, the smaller the explorable area becomes... though that's only because if you take too long, you've taken a lava bath. Hope you find a way up quickly! Though if you get up without finding what you needed down below either. Then that was not much good for you either...

Good Luck! Or, I suppose, may the Force be with you...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 03:57 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To play, you will ened a z-machine interpreter. Easiest thing to do is to get the latest version of Windows Frotz 2002- top link here.

http://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/windows.html

This link:

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/

contains several folders of interpreters containing absolutely anything you could need. For example, 'Filfre' for Windows (in the 'multi' folder) is a relatively new fancy multi-platform interpreter, and probably provides more features than Windows Frotz (for example, upon opening the game, Filfre gives you the intro panel, which Windows Frontz does not).

All that remains, then, is the game file- which this year comes with the instructions as a separate pdf file, done as there was a max file size issue for the game during development, That issue no longer exists, but it only ceeased to be an issue... yesterday, so the majority of the game is written with the limit in mind.

The instructions are exactly the same as appeared in last year's game.

http://under-the-gun.org/christmas/Basic%20Rules.pdf

http://under-the-gun.org/christmas/...f%20Fire.zblorb

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 04:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I died twice so far. It's much fun though. I like it more than the last...cause being evil rocks.

On that sick note, merry christmas to you all.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 05:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

What killed you?

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 05:45 PM
Peach
mordrem

Pfft, I also just died.

Stupid rabid mastiffs...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 06:00 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

And this time I got destroyed by the Assassin.

However, I couldn't help but laugh. If I'd had one less point of stamina than I did when that entire encounter started, I would have pretty much killed myself...

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 06:31 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I will play it tomorrow when I get back to my home computer.
Looking forward to it!

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 06:57 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
What killed you?
First a javelin through the heart, then a gun after a luck roll. It severed my elbow, it was not a pretty sight.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 06:58 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ooh, it always means something has gone wrong if you are Luck rolling...

It's possible to luck it past a lot of the Island but it is hardly reliable.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:07 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oooh, Lana's gone the wrong way...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:12 PM
Peach
mordrem

Hush, you.

How many times have you gone the wrong way while playing this? stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:24 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, seeing as when I was first playing, much of the stuff Iw as killing kept coming back to life...

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:24 PM
Peach
mordrem

Hehehehehe.

Damn those resurrecting enemies!

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:27 PM
Peach
mordrem

Spying on Malphas is amusing, btw.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:32 PM
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Ooh, it always means something has gone wrong if you are Luck rolling...

It's possible to luck it past a lot of the Island but it is hardly reliable.
Yeah, well it actually told me I could go back, but I figured 50/50 is good enough. Turns out it wasn't.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:35 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It can be a long way back to reload- you don't want to take those 50/50 chances unless you are running out of time.

There's always a better way.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 07:38 PM
Peach
mordrem

Cool, I just got eaten by a giant lizard...

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 09:57 PM
Peach
mordrem

So, anyway.

How far has anyone else managed to get? So far I've only managed to find a silver key before dying/getting lost and running out of turns, with a high score of 2.

I haven't yet encountered any other competitors, either.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 10:11 PM
Bardock42

I have twice encountered other competitors, but they were dead or dying.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 10:31 PM
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, I just came across one who told me where the path up the plateau was.

I cannot for the life of me find a gold key. I know where two silver keys are, but that's it.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 10:32 PM