KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Expanded universe for Middle Earth

Expanded universe for Middle Earth
Started by: elrond72

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
elrond72

Expanded universe for Middle Earth

Whats going on with this forum? I thought that with the release of the new Hobbit film it would be alive and kicking. OK lets get some new life in this forum with this question. Do you think there is room for more stories within Middle Earth ( any and I mean ANY age even set in modern times) from new writers and if so what would YOU imagine. Or do you think Tolkien has everything wrapped up?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2012 12:20 AM
elrond72 is currently offline Click here to Send elrond72 a Private Message Find more posts by elrond72 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Tolkien foreshadows that the Fourth Age, after Aragorn's death, had quite a story to offer with the arisal of a sort of Sauron cult - he actually started writing one, but soon abandoned it.
And there are certainly other places or times where events are only hinted at that I would have loved to read more about - the awakening of Mortals and their flight westwards, Númenor, the taking of the Dwarven rings,...

However, I don't think there is any room for new writers to stuff their stories into perceived holes in Middle-earth. For me, Middle-earth is not a world open for adventures, but a hidden truth to uncover bit by bit.

And finally, just to contradict myself a little, I do enjoy (and use) efforts by others to reconstruct linguistic truths and interpolate grammar and vocabulary (such as "Neo-Sindarin", "Neo-Quenya").

Old Post Dec 7th, 2012 04:32 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote