KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?

Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?
Started by: jcvaldez

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jcvaldez

Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?

Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline? What I mean is...Ever since the original series, there has been an ongoing storyline or history all the way up to Star Trek Voyager. So since the movie was a reboot of the original show, and it rewrote the origin of the Captain Kirk and his crew. Does that mean the stories of TNG, DS9, and Voyager have been erased? And all we're left with is Star Trek Enterprise?!! Maybe I'm wrong, someone please explain.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 04:52 PM
jcvaldez is currently offline Click here to Send jcvaldez a Private Message Find more posts by jcvaldez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Unless JJAbrams has broken into your house and stolen everything that had to do with the original universe you'd have to be an idiot to claim the only universe has been "ruined" by the new one.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 04:56 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

It's an alternate reality, like the mirror universe. The prime universe still exists.

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 05:50 PM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kinneary
It's an alternate reality, like the mirror universe. The prime universe still exists.

Agreed, and if they want to they could still go back in time and set things right and make it the same as the time line we all know.
or they could be free to just make other movies without worrying what is suppose to happen or start a whole new series exploring strange new worlds..........now that would be cool and i'm sure we would all tune in for that one.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 06:21 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jcvaldez

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Unless JJAbrams has broken into your house and stolen everything that had to do with the original universe you'd have to be an idiot to claim the only universe has been "ruined" by the new one.

Geez! I was asking a damn question... Normally when comic books or Hollywood do a reboot of something it normally means that they are starting over. Ever heard of Batman Begins?!

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 07:28 PM
jcvaldez is currently offline Click here to Send jcvaldez a Private Message Find more posts by jcvaldez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jcvaldez

Ok Cool! Thanks

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 07:30 PM
GGS

There's too many fans of the old universes for them to get rid of them that's why this had to be an alternative universe.

Because in all likelyhood no matter how popular this new franchise is it will never reach the peak of fandom the old ones have acquired.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 08:01 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by jcvaldez
Geez! I was asking a damn question... Normally when comic books or Hollywood do a reboot of something it normally means that they are starting over. Ever heard of Batman Begins?!

true, but with something like batman it is far easier to accept a reboot cause it is still the same premise. in Tim Burtons batman we learn of his origons and he fights the joker, in batman returns he fights catwoman and penguin
in batman begins we learn of his origions and he fights scarecrow
and in dark knight he fights joker. the movies were revamped for the 21st century.
But with star trek they have 40 years of TV shows and Movies that they would have to take into account, but since they did it this way with the alternate timeline they are free to do what they want from now on, without ramifications in the original series and on.
That was the beauty of the new movie, All of the time in star trek TV and movies the universe is the same at the end of the show as it is in the beginning, even thought it got messed up 15min into it.
but this new one the don't go back and fix it.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 09:06 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by darthmaul1
true, but with something like batman it is far easier to accept a reboot cause it is still the same premise. in Tim Burtons batman we learn of his origons and he fights the joker, in batman returns he fights catwoman and penguin
and in dark knight he fights joker. the movies were revamped for the 21st century.
But with star trek they have 40 years of TV shows and Movies that they would have to take into account, but since they did it this way with the alternate timeline they are free to do what they want from now on, without ramifications in the original series and on.
That was the beauty of the new movie, All of the time in star trek TV and movies the universe is the same at the end of the show as it is in the beginning, even thought it got messed up 15min into it.

agreed

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 09:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jcvaldez

Originally posted by darthmaul1

Well Kinneary's answer was understood. But I don't agree with you when you say it was easier to reboot Batman. Batman was created in 1938, 71 years of history! You got years of Comic Books, Graphic Novels, TV. Cartoons, Movies and more to add to the history of Batman. Batman Begins was a reboot - it was meant to forget the previous movies. After all the tag line for the movie was "Forget what you've seen, Batman Begins". The Incredible Hulk did the same thing. It erased the first Hulk movie. Batman is the same premise but so is Star Trek, so I don't see your point.

Anyways, Kinneary answered my question, but thanks anyways!

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 03:32 AM
steverules_2

The new movie is good...be happy...and move on big grin

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 08:45 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

batman begins didn't invalidate the burton movies, or the shumacher ones, though. not imo, anyways.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 09:13 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Well Kinneary's answer was understood. But I don't agree with you when you say it was easier to reboot Batman. Batman was created in 1938, 71 years of history! You got years of Comic Books, Graphic Novels, TV. Cartoons, Movies and more to add to the history of Batman. Batman Begins was a reboot - it was meant to forget the previous movies. After all the tag line for the movie was "Forget what you've seen, Batman Begins". The Incredible Hulk did the same thing. It erased the first Hulk movie. Batman is the same premise but so is Star Trek, so I don't see your point.

Anyways, Kinneary answered my question, but thanks anyways!

I said it was easier to accept a reboot of batman (for the fans to accept it)
My point was that STAR TREK from start in 1966 to present has always tried to take into account previous shows and movies and even books i think. So with this new prequel they created an alternate time line so now they don't have to worry.
Where as Batman has had multiple entires in comics and movies so it is easier for the fans to accept the reboot.
So no the new Star trek did not ruin the old story line even though it is a reboot, because they created the alternate time line.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 06:21 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?

Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline? What I mean is...Ever since the original series, there has been an ongoing storyline or history all the way up to Star Trek Voyager. So since the movie was a reboot of the original show, and it rewrote the origin of the Captain Kirk and his crew. Does that mean the stories of TNG, DS9, and Voyager have been erased? And all we're left with is Star Trek Enterprise?!! Maybe I'm wrong, someone please explain.

Erased? No. They are now separate, and anything can happen in the new Star Trek world.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 06:41 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vjer

I hate to be one of the few people who rain on the parade but I think JJ Abrams blew it. Once again we have a Star Trek story line involving time travel (this time by the Romulans). When I heard he was taking over the franchise I had high hopes but now I'm disappointed. I was hoping to see the "historical record" of how Kirk took over from Pike but instead i got a rewrite of Trek history. Don't get me wrong, I've been a Trek fan since the 70's but doesn't any Trek movie involve going to a new planet and finding something strange and otherworldly instead of, ho-hum, fighting the Klingons, Borg, Romulans, etc? Well that's my opinion and I know a new generation of fans won't agree but I wanted to see the fantastic and I got the mundane...

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 04:34 AM
Vjer is currently offline Click here to Send Vjer a Private Message Find more posts by Vjer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

So long as this new time ends up with Wesley Crusher never being born then i'm fine with it.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 06:29 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by jaden101
So long as this new time ends up with Wesley Crusher never being born then i'm fine with it.

What do you have against Wesley Crusher? mad

laughing

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 03:44 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Wesley does suck ass. The character itself was obtuse and boring. I think even Wil Wheaton has said that he didn't like Wesley either.

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2009 02:20 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by jaden101
laughing out loud

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2009 03:11 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Wesley does suck ass. The character itself was obtuse and boring. I think even Wil Wheaton has said that he didn't like Wesley either.

he did. he regularly rants about how shit wesley was...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2009 04:57 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote