KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » New Joker origin.

New Joker origin.
Started by: SamZED

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SamZED

New Joker origin.

Im talking about the Brave and the bold 31. And ive been waiting for it. IMO the Joker is the kind of character that doesn't really need an origin but it's better to have one than to accept "killing joke" as canon, because even though it was a well written story I always felt it doesn't really make sense. Joker being a good guy at heart? Sounds dramatic but bs. A comedian? Red Hood? Hitman? All these stories never felt right. A guy can't possibly do what Joker does without loving every moment of it and without dedicating his whole life to it. I always though he'd have to be born like that, and his B&TB origin seems like the most reasoable.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 05:35 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Killing Joke is taken as a good origin for the it's sinister concept of a "Bad Joke" punchline story.

It's a very good story but not one of my personal favorites. Mine will always be Death in the Family....the story is sad and the art of Jim Aparo is just so haunting. The facial expression of the Joker are trully disturbing...especially when he brutally beats Jason with the crowbar...it was just...urggh disturbing.

Haven't read BB 31 yet...but I'm curious.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 12:50 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

killing joke was one of my favorites for sure

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 11:49 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chomperx9
killing joke was one of my favorites for sure
And you're perfectly fine with Joker in that story? I mean, I liked it myself, it was like one of the most important Batman/Joker confrontations, but in that story Joker was no different than those dumb pathetic killers, the kind that suffer a lot in their life and become evil in order to inflict simillar pain on others. Also, they made it look like deep inside he was sorry about everything he's done. I mean, c'mone its the Joker! How could he be such an awesome villain if he's not even sure if he likes what he does?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 02:45 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by SamZED
And you're perfectly fine with Joker in that story? I mean, I liked it myself, it was like one of the most important Batman/Joker confrontations, but in that story Joker was no different than those dumb pathetic killers, the kind that suffer a lot in their life and become evil in order to inflict simillar pain on others. Also, they made it look like deep inside he was sorry about everything he's done. I mean, c'mone its the Joker! How could he be such an awesome villain if he's not even sure if he likes what he does?

So the origin we saw in killing joke was not his origin? I'm confuzzled, but I kinda liked the killing Joke mainly cuz we got to see jokers origin and how he became to look how he looks and the talk Batman and joker had at the end where batman reached out and actually kinda got to see the non sinister/crazy side of the joker

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 09:37 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I imagine Joker to be fascinated by anarchy in his early childhood and begining to resent reality more and more, but at the same time, loving how to manipulate people.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 12:03 AM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by lord xyz
I imagine Joker to be fascinated by anarchy in his early childhood and begining to resent reality more and more, but at the same time, loving how to manipulate people.
That's pretty much how he is in tbatb#31. It seems to be tha this origin in a way was a responce to the killing joke, because he kept saying "why would I be doing this unless I really love it?"

Originally posted by steverules_2
So the origin we saw in killing joke was not his origin? I'm confuzzled, but I kinda liked the killing Joke mainly cuz we got to see jokers origin and how he became to look how he looks and the talk Batman and joker had at the end where batman reached out and actually kinda got to see the non sinister/crazy side of the joker
Killing joke is canon, but its not known whcih story of him becoming the Joker is real, what we saw in KJ might've been just falls memories. Because he has like 4-5 origins so far, and each has evidence in its support. Kinda like Deadpool. Joker said himself he prefers to have multiple choices, maybe in KJ he decided to be a "poor victim"?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 03:23 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by steverules_2

The Killing Joke isn't strict canon on Joker's origin. Joker himself writes it off in the climax, where he talks about not knowing his origin - "sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another." So none of the comedian-to-Red Hood scenes can be taken for granted.

I don't think Joker should have the cliche markings as a young man of being a psycho. It's more meaningful if 'something' just happened to him - just as something happened to Bruce Wayne that made him Batman. It fits the parallel between them, and how they are true opposites. Joker isn't pure evil; he just thinks life & death is meaningless & stupid. So laugh at it, and do what you want.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 03:24 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I buy killing Joke and it's later expansion involving his wife's murder but I think there's even more to the story explaining the Joker's insanity and his super human tenacity

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2010 03:47 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by SamZED

You do know the origin from The Killing Joke is not canon, right? The Joker doesn't have an official origin. In The Killing Joke, he says "Somedays I remember it oneway, somedays another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice. Ha ha ha!"

So don't worry if you don't like the Joker's origin in The Killing Joke because that origin is not considered to be canon (and neither does every other origin he had in the comics).

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 03:17 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
original spawn

I liked his origin in the killing joke, for me he represents all of the maniacs that become insane with tragic events and we all have some blood lust inside, he found his so that he can now apreciate every single thing he does.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 03:23 PM
original spawn is currently offline Click here to Send original spawn a Private Message Find more posts by original spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote