KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » John Preston vs Neo

John Preston vs Neo
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
John wins 2 40.00%
Too hard to call 1 20.00%
Neo wins 2 40.00%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

John Preston vs Neo
Started by: EvilAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EvilAngel
Over the hills

John Preston vs Neo

This thread is coming from a fun argument I'm currently having with a few friends, let us know your opinion.

John Preston from the movie Equilibrium. He is armed with his automatic pistols with several reload clips for each, as well as his sword.

vs

Against Neo from the movie The Matrix. He will be armed with all the weapons he had during the lobby shootout.
To clarify this is Neo before he became the one.

The setting will be one of the scenario's in the movie Gamer. Including the moving vehicles and pedestrians.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 03:42 AM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

H2H: Neo
Gunfight: Preston

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 03:59 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Martin
H2H: Neo
Gunfight: Preston

Neo dodges bullets.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:22 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Periodically, yes, but he eventually can be overwhelmed. Preston didn't seem to have that problem. Neo lost his balance and would've been killed had it not been for Trinity.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:24 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

What about Lobby firefight?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:31 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

What about it?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 04:36 AM
dadudemon

Hmmm.

Good match up.

It's hard to call, really.

Neo is quite uber. He's stronger than Preston. He's more durable than Preston. Preston is more intelligent. Preston is faster. Neo has the best all around skills but Preston is better with guns.

Well, damn. Even after Neo becomes the one, his H2H skill is about he same as Preston's....cept Neo gets uber strength and endurance to go with it. However, Preston gets his ass handed to him by Neo, H2H, with any version of Neo(after Neo learns all of that stuff, of course.)

If it's in the lobby and its a gun fight and Trinity ain't around to kiss Neo back to life, Preston, 99 out of 100 times.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 08:22 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Preston is faster than Neo?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 08:26 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Darth Martin
What about it?

Preston is just a master of a specific art. Neo dodges bullets naturally and is a master of every martial art as well as knowing everything there is to know about firearms and shooting.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 08:49 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Neo, before he became The One? I'd say Preston takes him 8/10.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 10:01 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bear in mind that if Gun Kata was a real martial art then Neo would also know it (as he's programmed with the knowledge of all martial arts).

Preston's understanding of Gun Kata would also be pretty useless as I'm sure Neo wouldn't conform to any statistical analysis.

So hand-to-hand...Neo.
Guns....Neo.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 01:54 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
is a master of every martial art
Is this why his entire fighting arsenal consists of Wu Shu?

What he displayed holds far more credibility than what he allegedly knows.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 02:28 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by jaden101
Bear in mind that if Gun Kata was a real martial art then Neo would also know it (as he's programmed with the knowledge of all martial arts).

Different universes, bro. As fact, Gun Kata didn't exist in Neo's universe. Keep in mind, you can't give abilities to characters that are not in the films.

Preston's understanding of Gun Kata would also be pretty useless as I'm sure Neo wouldn't conform to any statistical analysis.

Incorrect. As fact, Neo used a just a select few martial arts in the film. The list is only like, 3 deep.

So hand-to-hand...Neo.
Guns....Neo.

Incorrect premises to conclude the latter. However, the former's conclusion is sound.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 02:29 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Unfortunately a curbstomp for Neo.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 02:33 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Different universes, bro. As fact, Gun Kata didn't exist in Neo's universe. Keep in mind, you can't give abilities to characters that are not in the films.

Incorrect. As fact, Neo used a just a select few martial arts in the film. The list is only like, 3 deep.

Incorrect premises to conclude the latter. However, the former's conclusion is sound.

For the purposes of the fight the characters obviously have to be in the same "universe" and one of Neo's onscreen feats is almost instantly learning any martial arts while jacked in. If his ability to learn is similar to Trinity's then it wouldn't just be martial arts.

Regardless of what he displays, he adapts to his opponent. Clearly shown in reloaded against the "upgrades".

What he uses in the film can also be a matter of choreography because it looks good. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't use them if needed in a hypothetical fight.

Regardless...He still wins.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 10:48 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

For the purposes of the fight the characters obviously have to be in the same "universe" and one of Neo's onscreen feats is almost instantly learning any martial arts while jacked in. If his ability to learn is similar to Trinity's then it wouldn't just be martial arts.

Actually, no, they meat in a third universe that allows each character to carry over with them their full abilities, ungimped, WITHOUT giving them abilities they didn't have, such as Gun Kata.

Regardless of what he displays, he adapts to his opponent. Clearly shown in reloaded against the "upgrades".

I'm not sure what your point is because Neo didn't have to adapt at all against the upgrades. Hell, he had a tougher time against the Frenchmen's henchmen. (Yes, I did that on purpose.)

What he uses in the film can also be a matter of choreography because it looks good. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't use them if needed in a hypothetical fight.

That's not the point you made and that's not a response to my response to the point you made.

Regardless...He still wins.

H2H, yes, Neo does.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 11:49 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not sure what your point is because Neo didn't have to adapt at all against the upgrades. Hell, he had a tougher time against the Frenchmen's henchmen. (Yes, I did that on purpose.)

H2H, yes, Neo does.

He did have to adapt to the upgrades as his initial attack was blocked...Hence he said "hmm?...upgrades" and changed his attack strategy.

quote:
That's not the point you made and that's not a response to my response to the point you made.

It's an explanation as to why you only see limited martial arts techniques used. Obviously Keanu Reeves couldn't actually learn every martial art in the world. So they trained him to a small degree in some and choreographed them in. They do, however, show that the character of Neo is supposed to be programmed with every martial art known. Thus his character can use them in a hypothetical fight regardless of whether he used them in the matrix movies.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 12:02 PM
dadudemon

He did have to adapt to the upgrades as his initial attack was blocked...Hence he said "hmm?...upgrades" and changed his attack strategy.

Where's your evidence of this?

Do you have definitive proof that he changed the angle of attacks/martial art style/speed of attacks/stance, etc.? (Edit - and you can't just post a vid and say that's proof. You must analyze the vid and prove, with past showings, that he adjusts his technique.)

You can't make claims like that without backing them up.

My theory: He didn't do anything different. He just kept on fighting.

It's an explanation as to why you only see limited martial arts techniques used. Obviously Keanu Reeves couldn't actually learn every martial art in the world. So they trained him to a small degree in some and choreographed them in. They do, however, show that the character of Neo is supposed to be programmed with every martial art known. Thus his character can use them in a hypothetical fight regardless of whether he used them in the matrix movies.

I'm glad you made this point.

Now, show me a martial art that uses guns and now prove, with a canon source, that Neo knows that technique. (The Matrix has canon sources, I believe.) On top of this, you have to convincingly prove that Gun Kata is useless against that technique.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 12:13 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where's your evidence of this?

Do you have definitive proof that he changed the angle of attacks/martial art style/speed of attacks/stance, etc.? (Edit - and you can't just post a vid and say that's proof. You must analyze the vid and prove, with past showings, that he adjusts his technique.)

You can't make claims like that without backing them up.

My theory: He didn't do anything different. He just kept on fighting.

The proof is exactly what i've already posted. He tried his previous technique that worked against Smith in M1 and it was blocked. It was a stationary stance, blocking with one hand and then attempting to counter with a single punch. It didn't work. He then completely changed his attack approach.

So clearly your theory is a load of shite.

Odd that you claim he didn't do anything different...But don't back it up...yet ask me to.

quote:
I'm glad you made this point. Now, show me a martial art that uses guns and now prove, with a canon source, that Neo knows that technique. (The Matrix has canon sources, I believe.) On top of this, you have to convincingly prove that Gun Kata is useless against that technique.

He doesn't have to know a martial art that involves guns. He just has to know one that counters gun attacks.

Krav Maga is a technique that has specific training moves to defend against gun attacks.

Why would I have to prove that Gun Kata was useless from a martial arts pov? I stated that Neo would likely not fall into the statistical analysis that GK employes to counter enemies. This is because Neo doesn't fall into statistical averages in terms of strength, speed, h2h or gun knowledge.

Although not shown on screen, we can presume as highly likely that Neo's natural abilities with guns weren't particularly good so any training that he would have had in gun use would be programmed similar to his martial arts. In that respect then we can also presume that it's to an exceptionally high calibre. Given his showing against trained SWAT teams this is evident.

You also missed my last point. I was countering the idea that he only used a small amount of martial arts techniques in the movie and thus he can only use those types. This is nonsense. It's quite clearly shown in the movies, through the scene where he's jacked in and Tank calls him "a machine" that he is being programmed with far more than the techniques he shows during fights...Thus these skills are applicable to his character in a hypothetical fight.

I'm not sure but I even think that the aformentioned Krav Maga is one of those that is actually shown on the computer screen. I'd need to check again though.

Last edited by jaden101 on Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 12:36 PM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Just to add to this...

"Good! Adaptation, improvisation...but your weakness, is not your technique."

- Morpheus to Neo during Dojo Fight.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 01:14 PM