KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The HOBBIT - Premiere

The HOBBIT - Premiere
Started by: eezy45

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eezy45
Winter is coming

The HOBBIT - Premiere

So, 12-12-12 is approaching fast! Who of you has their premiere tickets already?

I've got mine for the Original Version (undubbed) right next to me and I can't wait

Old Post Dec 9th, 2012 04:20 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

I also got mine a while ago - watching it at the tiny local English cinema, in 3D, and as far as I know only 24fps, at noon.
To my surprise, no cinema in town premieres at midnight, the first shows available are at noon or in the early afternoon.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2012 01:33 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

The point is that at noon, you'll be watching it on 12-12-12 at 12 o'clock.
I'm seeing it in HFR 3D. I'm pretty excited.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 12:40 AM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

"Pretty excited" is quite an understatement for my current state stick out tongue leaving for the cinema in a few minutes...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 09:39 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

THAT WAS SO GOOD.

PJ sure made use of his artistic freedom. They changed so many details, sometimes it really annoyed me. I understand the Galadriel / Saruman scene as a part of fan service, but it really just shouldn't have been there.
But overall.. Great. HFR 3D makes for a considerable gain in quality. I'm not a huge fan of 3D cinemas, but this movie proved the potential of the technology. The soundtrack was great and built on the original LotR score, which I liked. I found Rivendell a bit less cheesy looking, I liked the goblins, and I especially loved Gollum's appearance.

AND OMG, EREBOR AND ALL THE SCENERIES LOOKED AMAZING.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2012 04:00 PM
Exabyte

HAPPY.

Gollum: Love.
Bilbo: Love.
Radagast: Love. Radagast Story: Not Sure.
Dwarves & Gandalf: Not Sure.
Elves: Love.
Necromancer: Very strange body language. No like.
HFR+3D: Like, I think. (Looks like actually my tiny favourite cinema is the only one in town offering HFR big grin)
Dale, Erebor, Rivendell, Shire: Love.
Music: Love, but little surprise and few interesting chorus lyrics.
Wargs: Oh no, they looked so promising and wolfish on the first pictures, and now they're just as terrible as in the Lord of the Rings sad
Writing: Not entirely convinced. The dialogues often sounded contrived and exaggerated.
Fake pony coats not covering their heads: No like.
Gandalf feigning surprise over the evil residents of Dol Guldur when he actually got Thror's key and map from a dungeon there recently: WTF!
Hedgehog named Sebastian: WTF!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 02:09 AM
joesha28
Asgard's Advocate

Did Gandalf goes to dol guldur in this film?

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 11:23 AM
joesha28 is currently offline Click here to Send joesha28 a Private Message Find more posts by joesha28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Nope, but Radagast did. I suppose Gandalf will make a detour to Dol Guldur in the next movie...

Old Post Dec 13th, 2012 03:08 PM
Elessea

I agree with most of your points, but must add: WTF was going on with the hobbit's feet? They looked much less natural than in previous films.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2012 04:58 PM
Elessea is currently offline Click here to Send Elessea a Private Message Find more posts by Elessea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Hobbit feet didn't draw my attention during the movie, but they certainly did in the production videos. Very oversized and very... shapeless. But for the most part, I was very distracted by Freeman's *perfect* acting... he is Bilbo. Watching Bilbo interacting with Gandalf+dwarves (or anyone else) is like watching a bunch of good actors suddenly appearing in the life of a real person you know quite well.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2012 09:38 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Elessea
I agree with most of your points, but must add: WTF was going on with the hobbit's feet? They looked much less natural than in previous films.
I noticed that as well. Their proportions were definitely more exaggerated in this one.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 14th, 2012 11:39 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

I have found a really good, and really positive article from Forbes reviewing the film.
Thought I'd share it: Click

I wasn't to sure what to think of the whole Azog / Thorin Oakenshield sub-plot, which is obviously completely made up, but this author has a point. Thorin has become a much more rounded character, rather than just a dwarf driven by greed. Although PJ gave many details a twist, it feels like he's been careful to include Middle Earth lore and top off the picture.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Elessea
WTF was going on with the hobbit's feet? They looked much less natural than in previous films.

I agree on this. Very misshapen, somehow.

Last edited by eezy45 on Dec 16th, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 10:09 PM