KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Spidey 4- DEAD Confirmed

Spidey 4- DEAD Confirmed
Started by: Sith Master X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Spidey 4- DEAD Confirmed

Sony has just axed McGuire and Sam Raimi in favor of rebooting the franchise. This includes sending Peter Parker back to his high school days. Release date set for 2012.

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. I understand there are script disagreements going on right now, but this is utter BS.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 01:03 AM
Sith Master X is currently offline Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Wow, that's disappointing. Will the other cast members be returning for their roles?

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 01:09 AM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Yay!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 02:34 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ptr_Grifin
What?

Do you by any chance have a link or more info?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 02:54 AM
Ptr_Grifin is currently offline Click here to Send Ptr_Grifin a Private Message Find more posts by Ptr_Grifin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Spidey 4- DEAD Confirmed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Sony has just axed McGuire and Sam Raimi in favor of rebooting the franchise. This includes sending Peter Parker back to his high school days. Release date set for 2012.

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. I understand there are script disagreements going on right now, but this is utter BS.
you gotta link to that ?

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 02:54 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm up for a reboot

see if they do it different.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:25 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Re: Spidey 4- DEAD Confirmed

Originally posted by chomperx9
you gotta link to that ?

Just have to look on the net on those entertainment places such as Superherohype.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:27 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:56 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

"OH HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE TO STAY!!!"

Reboot the franchise?! Yeah, sure! Sony most likely will hired Shia Labeouf to play Peter Parker and Uwe Boll as director.

Hahaha!!!! Oh happy days! Spiderman 4 is dead!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 04:37 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

First response - HOLY CRAP. eek!

...But upon reflection - you realize it was going to happen someday. Tobey was eventually going to be too old, and what not.

And I would like to see what a Spider Man film would look like without Sam Raimi's hypercaffeniated style. We have seen reboots work almost without fail for years now - it saved the Batman franchise.
So now Harry Osborn & Eddie Brock can get handled differently, in some new films.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 04:38 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

Yeah, it was bound to happen someday. Almost every franchise out there goes through a reboot at somepoint, there's just a few key problems here.

1. The franchise isn't even 10 years old yet, in fact, it's not even 8 years old. Now I know there's no rule that states there needs to be a certain amount time, but really? McGuire hasn't "outgrown" the role. He's still young.

2. What's the point? In all seriousness, wiping out the last 3 films now destroys the progression that has been made over the last 8 years.

Do we pretend that GG, Doctor Ock, Sandman, Venom, Harry, MJ, Aunt May, do we pretend this never happened now?

I know Spider-Man 3 wasn't the best film ever. The first 2 were far better, but it was still better than the bulk of superhero movies they are putting out there today. The fact is, this franchise has so much potentital to build upon. For example, Peter/MJ....honestly, after 8 years of investing interest in these characters, their last scene is a make up dance at a club????? If I felt like Spider-Man 3 brought closure, than fine. No big deal, but we have a franchise that has ended on such a weak note that it feels like any investment we've made is completely lost. The 3 movies Raimi did are now a trilogy, and one that is incomplete. We don't know how MJ and Peter end off, we'll never see Dylan Baker as the Lizard, we'll never see when Peter is forced to bury Aunt May...so many things left untold, and in my mind, you can't tell the untold things from this franchise in a completely rebooted one. Everything starts from scratch. Technically you can, but it doesn't bring closure to these set of characters.

If the studio would have let Raimi do his job, he could have put out a spectacular 4th installment, but they needed to have another zillion villians so they can manufacter more action figures. When Raimi finally wised up and said "that's it, I'm done" the studio does a major cop out by saying, lets just ignore these last 3 movies that Raimi did and restart.

In that case, JJ Abrahms should say "forget the last Star Trek, the next one is a redo." God almighty. And yeah, I know the last Star Trek was a reboot, but Star Trek has had years and years without movies with a running cast and crew.

I'm sure not all were pleased with Raimi's depiction of the Spider-Man series. Some are probably very happy about the reboot, and I respect your opinions 100 percent. I'm just stating how I feel.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Jan 12th, 2010 at 06:32 AM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 06:21 AM
Sith Master X is currently offline Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Sith Master X
I'm sure not all were pleased with Raimi's depiction of the Spider-Man series.

I can name one.....Mr Parker

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:05 AM
Scythe
The Goat

I'm very curious as to the new direction they're gonna go with spidey. I'm wonderin' they'll either go dark & moody ala BB/TDK or campy.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:43 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I'm ok with this

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 11:03 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arahan
Silver Guy

Spiderman 1 and 2 were good movies. But still I felt that Spiderman wasnst funny enough. Part 3 was bad imo. Sometimes reboots are not a bad idea. Hulk was a good one in my eyes.

But there are reboots that are completely BS like Brand New Day sick

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 11:36 AM
Arahan is currently offline Click here to Send Arahan a Private Message Find more posts by Arahan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I'm hoping with the reboot we can get a better venom and a better GG if they are to appear in the re-boot which I think should and will happen

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 01:00 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

The fourth instalment of Spider-Man has been cancelled after its main star Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi quit over reported problems with the script.

Their decision is forcing Columbia Pictures to rewrite the script and, instead of being a continuation of the films created by Raimi, the next Spider-Man movie will be a reboot of the franchise.

A new director and main actor are yet to be revealed, but James Vanderbilt has already written a possible script, reports Variety.

Despite denials over the last couple of months that the film was in trouble after the shooting date kept getting pushed back, it was clear to many that there were disagreements behind the scenes. Rumours had surfaced that Columbia Pictures wasn’t happy with Raimi’s choice of the film’s main villain – Spider-Man’s classic arch nemesis The Vulture.

It isn’t the first time that Raimi has clashed with the studio over villain choices. It’s well known that Raimi never wanted to include modern-day favourite Venom in the series, preferring to use characters from the ‘60s comic books. However, he compromised in the third Spider-Man film by cramming in Sandman, Venom and the Green Goblin. Despite it being a massive box office hit, Raimi was particularly hurt by the critical mauling of the film and conceded he wouldn’t attempt to include as many villains in the fourth film.

Following his exit he said in a statement, “While we (Maguire and I) were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

Raimi is now expected to begin work on the big screen adaptation of the video game World of Warcraft.

They should leave it as a trilogy

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 01:28 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Raimi was pushing hard on doing the Vulture in SP 4 - something I was lukewarm about. I wanted to see the Lizard finally get his turn - and it could have opened the door for a character like Kraven the Hunter, if it becomes about hunting down and capturing Curt Conners/Lizard.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:12 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

It was pretty obvious that Raimi was NOT going to change the pace of the Man-Spider Movie (tribute to Mr Parker) and that fourth film with the same formula, new villains, and cheesy scenes would have driven this franchise down the pipes of the toilet.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 04:59 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Scythe
I'm very curious as to the new direction they're gonna go with spidey. I'm wonderin' they'll either go dark & moody ala BB/TDK or campy.

from what i am hearing spiderman quite possibly be dark and maybe 3-d...

also possible names taylor lautner, shia lebouf, and drake bell are being bandied about as possible replacments..

Originally posted by roughrider
Raimi was pushing hard on doing the Vulture in SP 4 - something I was lukewarm about. I wanted to see the Lizard finally get his turn - and it could have opened the door for a character like Kraven the Hunter, if it becomes about hunting down and capturing Curt Conners/Lizard.

The Lizard was supposed to be in 3, but Raimi obviously was forced to have venom...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:00 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote