KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » Leo's Tourney!!!

Leo's Tourney!!!
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (30): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Leo's Tourney!!!

how's that for a cool name? big grin

so, rules as follows:

--low meta

--teams of 3.

--the 3 characters will be subject to my okay--and i'm NOT the forgiving type when it comes to this issue

--competitor will have the choice of amalgamating his characters or keeping them as individuals or a combo of the 2. this decision CAN be changed from match to match.

--i'm considering a redraft scenario since i think it adds some excitement but not sure if i'll go after each match or after the first rd is finished.

--10secs of prep of RELATIVE PREP--ZERO TOLERANCE

--reverse-order drafting in second rd, first-come, first-serve in rd3

--looking for 6 people seriously interested. i'm going to go ahead and say for the sake of argument that we have the following:

1. smurph
2. bw
3. digi (you KNOW you want to kick ass with parker . . . )
4. omega
5. cdb
6. ?

--2 pools of three, rd robin format. top 2 advance to x-over semi-final and top 2 to the final, single elimination.

--general tourney rules will apply. no power copying, speed is capped at CLASSIC quicksilver level but that speed advantage does NOT grant any advantage in prep--not even in thinking speed. no time manip, no reality manip., no matter manip directly on the opponent. (none of that should really be an issue given the level of this thing.)

--and of course, no loopholes. seriously.

--my goal was to try and have a tourney where the winner was based more on who debated the best, as opposed to gimmicky characters and/or equipment/tech.

--as far as tech limits--think mr terrific's standard gear.

--a single independent construct (ie the batmobile) will be allowed

--no tp ohk, no mentally controlling opponents. tk is capped at about classic cable level at the very outside.

--the standard stuff, pretty much. everyone in this thing should be familiar with the basics. any direct questions, pm me. any character concerns pm me BEFORE you choose them.

--banned characters so far include:

sabes
jakita wagner
ambrose chase
blink

i'll add to the list as we go along

anything else, pm me

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 02:51 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

psycho gundam seems like he MAY be our 6th. let m know PG so we can get this thing going. if not, we still need ONE MORE CONTESTANT!

now, to those involved--let me explain briefly how i'm deciding which character is on or out and i'll fill you in on a small problem i'm having and let YOU guys decide how i should address as regards the tourney.

in general, when a character is proposed, i ask myself--could this person take a clear majority from someone like spidey or logan. if the answer in MY mind is yes, then i ban him/her. if the answer is no, then i'm more inclined to say ok. problem with that is that imo, logan could take down someone like ben grim for a majority, but ben is listed in the high meta tier. it would be tougher for spidey to take ben, but he could get some wins too, imo.

i guess my question is this: how would you like me to handle the one-dimensional brick-types who may be listed higher in tier, but could be beaten by lesser tier-ed guys pretty easily? an example might be sebastian shaw against soemone like mister x? x likely chops shaw into pieces everytime, but shaw is tiered higher.

i could make it simple and say stick to the tier thread explicitly, but that would eliminate some good characters. a borderline guy is HAWKMAN in my mind. i think him and logan would be a great fight, but carter has some pretty uber showings and a couple really solid strength feats.

so, thoughts on how best to proceed on these basic brick-style guys?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 03:03 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Carter > Logan imo. I think the same with Thing, since you're right that Spidey could give him a fight, but he'd also take the majority. It's also iffy to start considering Class 100's regardless of whether or not they're one-dimensional (which Thing is, even if he's a low Class 100). But I see what you're saying about borderline characters. You know your stuff so I trust you with decisions.

I also vote for 5 seconds prep. Blair with 10 scares me.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 24th, 2010 at 03:40 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 03:38 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

my concern is that someone may draft a cl100 brick simply to amalgamate them. i'll wait to hear what the others think before i confirm. everyone will know before the draft so no worries.

rule update--teleporting IS legal, so long as you are teleporting ONLY YOURSELF and YOUR OWN TEAM. teleporting with the other team or using teleportation offensively will be viewed as matter manip on opponents.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 04:01 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
psycho gundam seems like he MAY be our 6th. let m know PG so we can get this thing going. if not, we still need ONE MORE CONTESTANT!

now, to those involved--let me explain briefly how i'm deciding which character is on or out and i'll fill you in on a small problem i'm having and let YOU guys decide how i should address as regards the tourney.

in general, when a character is proposed, i ask myself--could this person take a clear majority from someone like spidey or logan. if the answer in MY mind is yes, then i ban him/her. if the answer is no, then i'm more inclined to say ok. problem with that is that imo, logan could take down someone like ben grim for a majority, but ben is listed in the high meta tier. it would be tougher for spidey to take ben, but he could get some wins too, imo.

i guess my question is this: how would you like me to handle the one-dimensional brick-types who may be listed higher in tier, but could be beaten by lesser tier-ed guys pretty easily? an example might be sebastian shaw against soemone like mister x? x likely chops shaw into pieces everytime, but shaw is tiered higher.

i could make it simple and say stick to the tier thread explicitly, but that would eliminate some good characters. a borderline guy is HAWKMAN in my mind. i think him and logan would be a great fight, but carter has some pretty uber showings and a couple really solid strength feats.

so, thoughts on how best to proceed on these basic brick-style guys?

I think that we should stick to the heart of the tournament: low level. Even if people are one-dimensional and can be beaten by a lower powered foe one on one, they do not fit the standards we agreed upon. I say this for the same reason you mentioned, it will be become a game of who can exploit the biggest man in an amalgam.

Also, I'm ok with 5 seconds prep Digi smile

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 04:12 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

all right. 2 is enough for me, when added with my own inclination.

with that in mind:

-- guys like ben and carter will not be considered.

--i'll max the strength level at about cl50 (about black tarantula) which is above parker, but not TOO far above him

--durability will be maxed around someone like, again, black tarantula/venom/cage

--specific powers that allow special case protection (IE, skids, cannonball) will be allowed as well since both powers can be countered and have their own intrinsic drawbacks if used in amalgams

--though outright power-copying is banned, characters like taskmaster WILL be allowed, since his powerset CAN and has been countered

--mister x is legal

--to reiterate--i would like to keep as much diversity as possible while maintaining the proper powerlevel and have things come down to debating skills rather than gimmicky characters/prep plans.

Last edited by leonidas on Mar 24th, 2010 at 04:50 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 04:39 PM
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

If Taskmaster is allowed, will the experience carry from round to round?

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 06:38 PM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

nope.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 06:54 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

new rule--i meant to do this initially (thanks for the reminder bw), but there IS an appearance limit of 10 for a character to be considered legal.

also--i've a number of confirmed judges already, so thanks to those who have agreed. anyone else interested in judging, drop me a line. gracias.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 07:06 PM
rader
Person

So when's this starting up... It seems.. Interesting?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 07:16 PM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i'm hoping next week. you're new i think, but we still have one more spot open if you're interested in joining. smile

further clarification--amalgams need to be logically consistent. a silly example--you couldn't draft ultron (obviously) and give him BP's vibranium claws. unless you were going for a quick self-induced wtfpwn, of course.

Last edited by leonidas on Mar 24th, 2010 at 08:16 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 08:11 PM
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

i'm hoping next week. you're new i think, but we still have one more spot open if you're interested in joining. smile

further clarification--amalgams need to be logically consistent. a silly example--you couldn't draft ultron (obviously) and give him BP's vibranium claws. unless you were going for a quick self-induced wtfpwn, of course.

Or draft Venom and amalgamate him with flame usersmile Though that way only one powerset is uselesssmile

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 08:22 PM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Unless the flame user was immune to fire, in which case, Venom would get fire immunity...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 08:48 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Originally posted by Blair Wind
I think that we should stick to the heart of the tournament: low level. Even if people are one-dimensional and can be beaten by a lower powered foe one on one, they do not fit the standards we agreed upon. I say this for the same reason you mentioned, it will be become a game of who can exploit the biggest man in an amalgam.

^ he's too smug, keep an eye on this guy.

yo leo, i'm in (unless the other guy wants the spot more)

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 08:52 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

all right. 2 is enough for me, when added with my own inclination.

with that in mind:

-- guys like ben and carter will not be considered.

--i'll max the strength level at about cl50 (about black tarantula) which is above parker, but not TOO far above him

--durability will be maxed around someone like, again, black tarantula/venom/cage

--specific powers that allow special case protection (IE, skids, cannonball) will be allowed as well since both powers can be countered and have their own intrinsic drawbacks if used in amalgams

--though outright power-copying is banned, characters like taskmaster WILL be allowed, since his powerset CAN and has been countered

--mister x is legal

--to reiterate--i would like to keep as much diversity as possible while maintaining the proper powerlevel and have things come down to debating skills rather than gimmicky characters/prep plans.

Sounds good for the most part. Judging by vs. forum chatter, though, this Mister X guy is going to be a tard to fight against in the tourney. I may need to do some research on him.

Originally posted by Blair Wind

'twas joking about the 5 seconds. I don't really care. If someone can (believably) do something worthwhile with characters this level in 10 seconds that greatly affects the match, more power to them. But I agree with your reasoning here.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 09:50 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

MMK. I'm down. For all intents and purposes, I am new. I've been on VERY inconsistently for the past 6 years. Forgot the password to my old account, but I used to do Comic Book Vs. back before all the acronyms. Also I don't read DC, so I can't participate in like half of the debates now anyways... but I'll pm you with my team... Thinking maybe Venom, Morbius, and Demogoblin so long as none of them are excluded. Just go ahead and tell me what I need.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 10:01 PM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Drafts will take place one round at a time rader, and leo will have to confirm your participation...not sure if it's you or psycho_gundam. But welcome back, and good luck!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 10:06 PM
rader
Person

K. Well should i still pm him my choices... Sorry a little confused

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 10:14 PM
rader
Person

Oh nm i get it...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 10:15 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Yeah, it'll be a few days. Leo will announce the first draft and we'll have a thread for it. Round 2 will be in reverse order from round 1, to keep thing fair.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t447826.html
...a good guide to who will and won't be acceptable. This tier:
Tier 2

Low
3-D Man, Ambrose Chase, Angel, Arachne, Arana, Azrael, Beast, Black Canary, Black Tarantula, Blade, Blue Beetle (Dan Garrett), Bruenor Battlehammer, Century, Charcoal, Charlie 27, Constrictor, Creeper, Cyber, Dagger, Deadpool, Deathlok, Deathstroke the Terminator, Doc Ock, Drizzt Do'Urden, Elixer, Falcon, Firehawk, Gambit, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Iron Fist, Jakita Wagner, Karnak, Kid Devil, Killer Croc, Klaw, Lady Deathstrike, Longshot, Luke Cage, Man-Bat, Marrina (Normal), Mercury, Midnighter, Mister Hyde, Multiple Man, Mysterio, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Nuke, Orka Humbug, Prometheus, Protocide, Puck, Puma, Rage, Sabretooth, Shang Chi, Silver Samurai, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Swift, Thunder Cats, Tombstone, Triathalon, Vance Astro, Vanguard, Vermin, Vulture, Warpath, Wildchild, Wizard, Wulfgar, X-23

...is the rough guideline, along with anyone lower and a few in the next highest tier (with limited exceptions in them all).

Old Post Mar 24th, 2010 10:19 PM