KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » If Sauron regained the One Ring...

If Sauron regained the One Ring...
Started by: Batman Returns

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Batman Returns

If Sauron regained the One Ring...

.....how the hell would he put it back on his "finger"???? i mean, he's a spirit right? or in the sense of the movie trilogy, a big "flameing eye" spirit thats on top of barad-dur. so lets say he got the Ring, how would he "put it on"? lol, silly question, i know, but im just curious. also, wasnt his finger cut off by Isildur?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 05:11 PM
Batman Returns is currently offline Click here to Send Batman Returns a Private Message Find more posts by Batman Returns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

well in simplistic form, wouldn't Sauron have 9 other fingers to put on the ring? And the spirit of Sauron doesn't have fingers, the body he manifested in last time had fingers.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 05:15 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Batman Returns

quote: (post)
Originally posted by fini
well in simplistic form, wouldn't Sauron have 9 other fingers to put on the ring? And the spirit of Sauron doesn't have fingers, the body he manifested in last time had fingers.

that doesnt quite make sense to me. forget about the fingers thing, i mean, how would he put on the ring once he got it? like, how doies a spirit attach a ring to itself?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 06:21 PM
Batman Returns is currently offline Click here to Send Batman Returns a Private Message Find more posts by Batman Returns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Some_Black_Guy

Re: If Sauron regained the One Ring...

Originally posted by Batman Returns
.....how the hell would he put it back on his "finger"???? i mean, he's a spirit right? or in the sense of the movie trilogy, a big "flameing eye" spirit thats on top of barad-dur. so lets say he got the Ring, how would he "put it on"? lol, silly question, i know, but im just curious. also, wasnt his finger cut off by Isildur?

LMFAO@this question, a good question, and funny too. My only guess is that the ring might give him the ability to take corporeal form but I don't know how a spirit would put it on either. Maybe spirits work differently in the LOTR, like how the ghosts could touch humans in the movie and kill them whereas in some movies they can't touch anything.

Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall... fade.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 07:12 PM
Some_Black_Guy is currently offline Click here to Send Some_Black_Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Some_Black_Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

Sauron was a higher bring/spirit, and he has th abilty to take different shapes and form when he needed to. There are many instances where he took different forms.

"wrought for himself a new shape; and it was terrible, for his fair semblance had departed for ever when he was cast into the abyss at the drowning of Numenor. He took up again the great Ring and clothed himself in power" -The Silmarillion.

And in FACT, Sauron could take shape again in the third age

'Yes, He has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough,' said Gollum shuddering' (The Two Towers: The Black Gate is closed)

AND TO back up the answer to the question

And much of the strength and will of Sauron passed into that One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency; and Sauron forged it in the Mountain of Fire in the Land of Shadow.Silmarillion, Of the RIngs of Power and the Third Age

So when the ring was destroyed, he lost a great deal of his spirit, and was thus himself, vanquished from the physical world.And he wasn't destroyed completely, he was reduced to an impotent spirit that could not again have a physical body, nor cause mischief.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 08:16 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

They would throw the ring into the eye and in it Sauron would regain his full power and form. That's my guess.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 09:33 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

THERE WAS NEVER an eye to start with.

THe reference of Sauron being an eye is 100% metaphorical.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 09:49 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Read the books. Gandalf says, 'Sauron has taken the form of a giant flaming eye' or something like that.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2005 11:40 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Originally posted by fini
THERE WAS NEVER an eye to start with.

THe reference of Sauron being an eye is 100% metaphorical.

Originally posted by ESB-1138
Read the books. Gandalf says, 'Sauron has taken the form of a giant flaming eye' or something like that.

Fini is right, Sauron's eye wasn't as physical as it appears in the films - it's only his shape in the Twilight World and in people's thoughts and words, as people always need pictures for what they don't understand. It's an idea, an impression, an embodiment of fear, the feeling of being helpless and constantly watched [through the Palantír, eg].

There is no huge fireball hanging on top of Barad-dűr.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2005 05:30 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

laughing

sorry bro! you just remind me of ME when i first came here....but i did have the advantage of having read all the books before the movie no expression

Old Post Sep 12th, 2005 05:37 AM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Sauron's all seeing eye was his Palantir, the flame things was just a nice effect he used to scare and intimidate people, like the man on wizard of oz big grin.

Sauron i think had a physical body again, and he would simply slide the ring onto one of this other fingers, but he did seem to lose about 4 in the film lol.

Im Back happy

Old Post Sep 16th, 2005 10:15 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gandalftheblack

Sauron did not have a physical body or anything - he is just a spirit, as it has been said. If he did get the ring, well, he would probably have the orc construct/grow or whatever a suitable body for him, into which he would 'pour' his soul... Since Sauron as such is immaterial, this seems to be the only option...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 10:27 AM
gandalftheblack is currently offline Click here to Send gandalftheblack a Private Message Find more posts by gandalftheblack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Batman Returns

they dont say that Sauron was a "physical" form in the book, he IS a spirit in the books. duh. i thought everyone knew that. even saruman says in the books (and movie) that he cannot take physcial form yet until he gets the ring. true, the "eye" is a metaphorical use, but its what ppl probably DID see when the eye of Sauron was upon them. at least thats what i took from the books. but everyone has to always take that stupid gollum metaphor about his "four fingers" and take it litterally, and that too is metaphorical, meaning that if sauon ever took pohysical shape again, he would only have four fingers on his hand (cuz of isildur cutting one off), but as a spirit, he HAS no fingers, its metaphorical for if he WAS physical again!

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 02:02 PM
The Inkeeper

So why does Gollum speak as though he has seen him? And if he is just a spirit how come he has four fingers on the black hand? Was it some cheesy translucent spirit that came to gollum? or did an orc dress up for a laugh?

Im Back happy

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 09:36 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Batman Returns

Originally posted by The Inkeeper
So why does Gollum speak as though he has seen him? And if he is just a spirit how come he has four fingers on the black hand? Was it some cheesy translucent spirit that came to gollum? or did an orc dress up for a laugh?

no......hes using what we call a "metaphor" when he speaks to the hobbits. he says "four fingers are enough" cuz he knows the story about how isildur cut his finger off. he's using "cunning".

Old Post Sep 17th, 2005 09:39 PM
gandalftheblack

if sauon ever took pohysical shape again, he would only have four fingers on his hand (cuz of isildur cutting one off), but as a spirit, he HAS no fingers, its metaphorical for if he WAS physical again!

Not necessarily - as you rightly point our Sauron is only a spirit and has no body - then if he get/creates himself a new one, it may well contain all the fingers - irrespective of what happened in the past...

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 09:05 AM
gandalftheblack is currently offline Click here to Send gandalftheblack a Private Message Find more posts by gandalftheblack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

NO he wont, since he has turned to evil, he looses his ability to transform back completely to a past body. So maybe in a previous age, he would have come back fully restored, but he has lost some of his power, so he will come back with the 9 fingers.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2005 10:25 AM
Some_Black_Guy

Originally posted by Fëanor
laughing

sorry bro! you just remind me of ME when i first came here....but i did have the advantage of having read all the books before the movie no expression

Whoa, who's that girl in your avatar? big grin

Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall... fade.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 01:12 PM
Some_Black_Guy is currently offline Click here to Send Some_Black_Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Some_Black_Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

"The Eye of Sauron" was supposed to be a metaphor of his all-seing abilities - as in the palantír, like DS said. The "Eye" was also a symbol emblazoned upon Orc-flags and war-shields, depicting their servitude to the Dark Lord. PJ interpreted this literally.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 09:09 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Sam saw the Eye of Sauron on top of the tower himself.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2005 09:44 PM