KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Respect Sleeping Gorons

Respect Sleeping Gorons
Started by: ScreamPaste

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Respect Sleeping Gorons

A Goron, once sleeping, is plainly unwakable.

(please log in to view the image)

This Goron woke up far from home at the end of his nap. Under water in Zora's domain, after being blown from inside Death Mountain to the base of said mountain and being transported by Midna to Zora's Domain. The following is a quick and dirty calc. Read: Lazy.

Let's find out how much that rock he's in weighs...

If Link is 1.67 m tall then the rock the Goron is sleeping in is 4.3m in diameter where I measured.

Let's be lazy and math it as a cylinder while leaving out part of it because I can't get a screenshot that perfectly captures the entire thing. woo.

That means that what we can see of it in this picture is 12.75 meters tall. Cyclinder calculator: http://www.online-calculators.co.uk...indervolume.php

Volume of 743.9135639233247, density of 2700 kg/m^3

2008566.62259297669 kg, 2008.5 metric tonnes.

2209.4 short tons. This is just what we can see, so lowballing slightly.

This rock was airborne for 15 seconds. This means accelleration due to gravity was in play to the tune of: 147.09975 m/s

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal

(I used a drag coefficient of 0.8 for an angled cube, the most similar shape I could find on the wiki listing)

Terminal velocity for such a rock would be: 35.3701 m/s, air resistance would attempt to slow the rock to this speed. The combined force of air resistance and gravity ended the upward momentum of the rock some time before the 7.5 second mark. I'm too lazy to figure this out, and I don't have exact distances from inside Death Mountain Crater to the base, but that is a long way, and a long flight, even assuming most of it was horizontal. I'll improve on this later.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Last edited by ScreamPaste on Sep 5th, 2013 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2013 02:53 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dramatic Gecko
Gypsy With Internet

Dude this is awesome. And completely pointless.

Lets start by summoning feats.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2013 10:27 AM
Dramatic Gecko is currently offline Click here to Send Dramatic Gecko a Private Message Find more posts by Dramatic Gecko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

That sums up everything we do here :T

Though I'm not sure where this calc is going or what it applies to. Maybe if some lazy git would get back to it..

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Sep 10th, 2013 04:50 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BloodRain
That sums up everything we do here :T

Though I'm not sure where this calc is going or what it applies to. Maybe if some lazy git would get back to it..
Figuring out how much air resistance would slow something with this kind of surface area is hard. If I could get that, I could get an estimate of the velocity at launch, which could tell me a bit about the explosion which caused all this.

In short, this is a really manly durability feat. Gorons are unphased by explosions that send debris flying for extended periods in chunks up to 2000 tons in mass. In fact, they sleep through them, apparently.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2013 06:02 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

I wouldn't worry about air pressure and drag too much, they barely change the result. Then again I'm cheating here.

Everything seems to make sense so far, but where did 15 seconds come from? The volcano is constantly going off throughout the scene, smaller rocks falling not long after, known time for the big one falling is around 4+ secs. Using that link with your figures and firing until the fall equalled that, got an initial speed of 45m/s for 2,000 ton rock being launched up... that's going to be beastly for a non-disturbed nap feat no expression

I see the biggest factor here being the launching point. The higher up it is the lower force, just as the further away it is the higher the result. But thats where my participated effort ends stick out tongue

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Sep 10th, 2013 07:19 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dramatic Gecko
Gypsy With Internet

Maybe its a GORON SPACE SHIP!

Lets start by summoning feats.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2013 11:21 PM
Dramatic Gecko is currently offline Click here to Send Dramatic Gecko a Private Message Find more posts by Dramatic Gecko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote