KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Obi-Wan vs Mace Windu

Obi-Wan vs Mace Windu
Started by: Toshi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Based
iPinoy

Obi-Wan vs Mace Windu

Who wins in sabers only? Vaapad vs the Master of Soresu? And yes Shatterpoint for Mace can be used. And if it's unfair then do a scenario without Shatterpoint.

I've seen Obi-Wan quite overrated on other forums but thankfully not as much here. But I want to know if he can take on Mace.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 05:16 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'd put it down to Windu's knowledge of Soresu vs. Kenobi's lack of knowledge of Vaapad.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 05:27 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

While Vaapad would still allow Mace to channel his own inner darkness and employ it in this battle (a trait which would normally give him a decisive edge), I can't say that I'm convinced he'd win. What it really comes down to for me is that I can't see Vaapad penetrating the defensive wall Obi-Wan's Soresu creates.

Mace himself even said that out of all living Jedi, Obi-Wan had the best chance at defeating General Grievous (saber to saber); moreso then even himself or Yoda -- and Mace should know. He had previously battled GG (unsuccessfully) during Labyrinth of Evil. Anyway, it wasn't until Grievous began his '20 saber strikes per second' that he even started to overwhelm Obi-Wan's defenses -- and even then Obi was able to counter (on the fly) by turning his nigh-impenetrable defense into a very solid and capable offense, of which he used to rapidly sever most of GG's appendages... (As I hinted at above, Mace didn't have the same type of luck in his battle with the General.)

So yeah, while this would probably be a very long and drawn out battle, I think Obi-Wan would ultimately come out on top... And I'm not even going to get into the "maybe's" associated with Shatterpoint, thus I didn't factor it into my decision.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 29th, 2010 at 06:20 AM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 06:14 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pwned
That guy

At the least the winner would be wounded and possibly dying

^The Soresu defense thing, yea, it Obi-Wans only chance of survival

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 01:16 PM
Click here to Send Pwned a Private Message Find more posts by Pwned Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master_Galen
Back from the Dead

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
While Vaapad would still allow Mace to channel his own inner darkness and employ it in this battle (a trait which would normally give him a decisive edge), I can't say that I'm convinced he'd win. What it really comes down to for me is that I can't see Vaapad penetrating the defensive wall Obi-Wan's Soresu creates.

I agree. Also, did vaapad not factor in the opponent's darkness, of which Obi-Wan had none so that would not help Mace he would just have to hope his own darkness is enough. Obi-Wan would win tho in the end as Mace would get tired as vaapad is energy consuming.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 01:33 PM
Click here to Send Master_Galen a Private Message Find more posts by Master_Galen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Mace himself even said that out of all living Jedi, Obi-Wan had the best chance at defeating General Grievous (saber to saber); moreso then even himself or Yoda -- and Mace should know. He had previously battled GG (unsuccessfully) during Labyrinth of Evil. Anyway, it wasn't until Grievous began his '20 saber strikes per second' that he even started to overwhelm Obi-Wan's defenses -- and even then Obi was able to counter (on the fly) by turning his nigh-impenetrable defense into a very solid and capable offense, of which he used to rapidly sever most of GG's appendages... (As I hinted at above, Mace didn't have the same type of luck in his battle with the General.)

So yeah, while this would probably be a very long and drawn out battle, I think Obi-Wan would ultimately come out on top... And I'm not even going to get into the "maybe's" associated with Shatterpoint, thus I didn't factor it into my decision.

I see Kenobi holding Mace off for a little bit, but not nealry long enough to tire Mace out. Mace would overwhelm Kenobi in short order, if not in sabers, then in combination w/ his Force usage.

Last edited by Jinsoku Takai on Jul 29th, 2010 at 02:55 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 02:44 PM
Click here to Send Jinsoku Takai a Private Message Find more posts by Jinsoku Takai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Mace will win.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 04:14 PM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

Originally posted by Vorpal Ruin
Mace will win.

...in other words.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 05:19 PM
Click here to Send Jinsoku Takai a Private Message Find more posts by Jinsoku Takai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Master_Galen
Obi-Wan would win tho in the end as Mace would get tired as vaapad is energy consuming.
I doubt Mace would get that tired. Even in his battle with Palpatine, there was "not even the possibility of fatigue."

Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
I see Kenobi holding Mace off for a little bit, but not nealry long enough to tire Mace out. Mace would overwhelm Kenobi in short order, if not in sabers, then in combination w/ his Force usage.
What force usage? This is a 'sabers only' match.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 05:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jinsoku Takai
CIT Network Technician

What force usage? This is a 'sabers only' match.

I see that now. embarrasment

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 07:49 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

1 d0 n0t r3c0gn1z3 th3 d1st1nct10n 83tw33n ``sa83r`` 8attl3s and ``f0rc3`` 8attl3s.

Th3 v1ct0r 0f th1s 8attl3 1s cl3ar. Galan007,
1 cann0t agr33 that 081 K3n081 w1ll 83 capa8l3
0f h0ld1ng Mac3 0ff l0ng 3n0ugh t0 f0rc3 a
cr1t1cal m1stak3. Th3 "20 str1k3s/s3c0nd"
num83r 1s n0n-can0n; th3 G3n3ral n3v3r
m0v3s that qu1ckly 1n th3 m0v13.

Last edited by Zamp on Jul 29th, 2010 at 09:15 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:11 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Originally posted by Zampanó
1 d0 n0t r3c0gn1z3 th3 d1st1nct10n 83tw33n ``sa83r`` 8attl3s and ``f0rc3`` 8attl3s.

Th3 v1ct0r 0f th1s 8attl3 1s cl3ar. Galan007,
1 cann0t agr33 that 081 K3n081 w1ll 83 capa8l3
0f h0ld1ng Mac3 0ff l0ng 3n0ugh t0 f0rc3 a
cr1t1cal m1stak3. Th3 "20 str1k3s/s3c0nd"

How many hours did this take you to type?

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:17 PM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

1`m G3Tt1Ng FaSt3R`
HaV3 Y0U gR0K3D mY
rUl3S y3T`

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:26 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Que?

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:31 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Th3 "20 str1k3s/s3c0nd"
Yeah that's been brought up before. I think the main argument is that it's canon because it doesn't directly contradict the film. It's the same reason Palpatine and Mace moving at 'blur-esque' speeds in thier battle is generally regarded as canon. Could we see them moving that fast in the film? No. But does them moving at the aforementioned speeds in the novel directly contradict the film? No.

I dunno.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:34 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't think he even made 20 complete strikes in the movie at all. Unless we're talking about his helicopter technique.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:37 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Yeah that's been brought up before. I think the main argument is that it's canon because it doesn't directly contradict the film. It's the same reason Palpatine and Mace moving at 'blur-esque' speeds in thier battle is generally regarded as canon. Could we see them moving that fast in the film? No. But does them moving at the aforementioned speeds in the novel directly contradict the film? No.

I dunno.

Y0U w1Ll HaV3 T0 D3F1N3
WhAt Y0U m3An 8Y
``d1R3CtLy C0NtRaD1Ct```

AnY d1ScR3PaNcY 83Tw33N
tH3 M0V13`S p0RtRaYaL
aNd Th3 800K`s R3S0Lv3S
1N fAv0R 0F tH3 M0V13`

Wh3N w3 S33 Gr13V0Us`S
sTr1K3S aNd Th3Y d0 N0T
ArR1V3 Tw3NtY t1M3S p3R
S3C0Nd Th3N w3 HaV3 A
C 0 N t R a D 1 C t 1 0 N

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 09:48 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Y0U w1Ll HaV3 T0 D3F1N3
WhAt Y0U m3An 8Y
``d1R3CtLy C0NtRaD1Ct```

AnY d1ScR3PaNcY 83Tw33N
tH3 M0V13`S p0RtRaYaL
aNd Th3 800K`s R3S0Lv3S
1N fAv0R 0F tH3 M0V13`

Wh3N w3 S33 Gr13V0Us`S
sTr1K3S aNd Th3Y d0 N0T
ArR1V3 Tw3NtY t1M3S p3R
S3C0Nd Th3N w3 HaV3 A
C 0 N t R a D 1 C t 1 0 N
This typing style makes me want to have a seizure and possibly shit myself. Interesting.

Anyway, I've always regarded the 20 strikes per second scene as canon, just as I have always regarded Mace/Palpatine fighting as blurs, canon. Regardless of the canonicity, it has little to no impact on my main point(s):

*Mace stated that out of all living Jedi (even himself or Yoda), Obi-Wan had the best chances of beating Grievous.

*Mace battled Grievous in an environment where he wasn't able to use the force in an offensive manner, and had to duel him one on one. Despite Vaapad, Mace was still unable to prevail.

*Obi-Wan all but embarrassed Grievous in their duel.

....So there.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 10:04 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

This typing style makes me want to have a seizure and possibly shit myself. Interesting.

big grin

quote:

Anyway, I've always regarded the 20 strikes per second scene as canon, just as I have always regarded Mace/Palpatine fighting as blurs, canon. Regardless of the canonicity, it has little to no impact on my main point(s):

S0 Ar3 Y0U c0Nc33D1Ng`

quote:

*Mace stated that out of all living Jedi (even himself or Yoda), Obi-Wan had the best chances of beating Grievous.

MaC3 HaS a H1St0Ry
0F 831Ng HuM8L3`

L00K aT tH3 WaY
h3 TaLkS a80Ut D3Pa`

quote:

*Mace battled Grievous in an environment where he wasn't able to use the force in an offensive manner, and had to duel him one on one. Despite Vaapad, Mace was still unable to prevail.

*Obi-Wan all but embarrassed Grievous in their duel.

....So there.

S0 1N a
``K1Ll1Ng Gr13V0Us C0Nt3St``
K3N081 M1GhT w1N`

A8C d03Sn`T w0Rk
F0R aNy C0NcLuS10Ns M0R3
DeF1N1T1V3 ThAn ThAt`

Y0U w1Ll HaV3 T0 F1Nd
M0R3 3V1D3Nc3 F0R
k3N081 ThAn
T h 1 S`

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 10:25 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

A8C d03Sn`T w0Rk
F0R aNy C0NcLuS10Ns M0R3
DeF1N1T1V3 ThAn ThAt`

Y0U w1Ll HaV3 T0 F1Nd
M0R3 3V1D3Nc3 F0R
k3N081 ThAn
T h 1 S`
I don't need to find more evidence, actually. It's your turn to provide evidence pertaining to how Mace would win (if that is, in fact, your opinion.) wink

[edit]
And I'm not using ABC logic. Mace has dueled GG. Obi-Wan has dueled GG. Mace barely managed to hold his own. Obi-Wan dominated. GG is the only common denominator between Mace/Obi, thus it's logical to use him as a bearing for their lightsaber skill.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2010 10:32 PM