KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME PART 3- The Tournament and the Traitor

USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME PART 3- The Tournament and the Traitor
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (132): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME PART 3- The Tournament and the Traitor

Fornost-Erain, Summer, 1972 TA

And so, the seasons give way to Summer.

It was a long fight. The winter- which, like all recent winters, has been growing longer and colder, especially in these Northern lands- held its grip for long past its natural life. The Spring has been cold too, and brought nought but ill news. But nature is not to be denied, and eventually, Summer did come.

And such a glorious one! The sun streams through with day after day of perfect weather. The green fields, rolling hills and beautiful cities of Arthedain are basking in the radiant glory of creation.

This is a time of joy, to celebrate civilisation. In the next few days will be held the mighty tournament of the House of Numenor, a royal celebration of an unbroken line of Kings stretching back beyond known history, back past the Civil Wars, back to the days of Isildur, slayer of Sauron, and back past that to the boundaries of time, and the ancient days of Numenor itself.

In these days there will be parties, feasts, celebrations- and games. Jousts, archery matches, mock field battles, duels and tests of every weapon and martial skill, in the long knightly tradition of Man. It is, without a doubt, the highlight of the year.

Travel to Arthedain is still difficult; the Great Road is hostile, the Last Bridge normally blocked, since Rivendell declined to hold it. Yet it is still possible, for those willing to brave the risks of the journey. Famed King Arvedui of Arthedain has opened his borders to all the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth., and many have come- to see the North Kingdom, to join the festivities, to pledge their respect to the great King of Man... and to answer his call to take up arms against evil.

For evil there is, in the nearby lands of Rhudaur and, worse, Angmar, where the infamous 'Witch-King' makes his plots. To most, a rumour- but the court of Fornost takes his existence very seriously.

It is known that the war has not gone to plan. During diplomatic efforts with neigbouring Cardolan- barely a Kingdom at all- a sneak attack by the Witch-King's forces has destroyred the nearly completed fortress of Embylosse, centrepiece of the Arthedanian strategy. Some feared the sudden and total collapse of the Kingdom. This was exaggerated- yet their plans lay in ruins. Many are uncertain about what measures can be taken, come the next threat effort of the Witch-King.

There are disagreements and arguments at all quarters. Should the current strategy be shored up? Should it change, totally, and Arthedain go on the offensive? Is all this talk of diplomacy and alliances hogwash, or the only viable path for survival? In the midst of the festivities, these dark questions haunt the minds of he nobles- and at the very highest level, few know the truth- that Embylosses' destruction was only made possible by treachery, inside the King's Council itself.

Is it not unthinkable that a Dunadan, of all people, would throw in his lot with the Witch-King? But sadly not... for that was how Rhudaur fell, centuries ago.

But of courde, few of you know anything of this. Some of you are old hands in Arthedain, and have met the King. Some of you have come from the recent expedition from Rivendell, and have been here but a short time. And some of you are new entirely, having arrived in Arthedain, and Fornost, for your own reasons.

Fornost may be the centre of an 'open' Kingdom- yet this is not the modern day, and travel is long and difficult even without the war. Therefore, strangers, whilst not unheard of, are still uncommon, and alll of you that do not belong here have almost certainly met and made association with all the others- please feel free to make yourselves acquainted in any way you like.

Let the celebrations begin!

---

This, then, is the new part of the epic LOTR storyline (minus a. the Lord and b. the Rings, so a rather technical association...).

This is a rather different story. Having just had the enormous field battle against an Orc army, now we are having no Orcs at all. This game is set entirely within Fornost, and is concerned with things investigative, political, and social. The style of LOTR in general is different to the rush-rush style of Star Wars and Matrix, and this part in particular is thoughtful and relatively- dare I say it- intellectual.

This game has several major objectives:

1. Induction. It serves as a starting point for new players. New players have a chance to learn of Arthedain, its neightbours, their history, its King, the King's plan and, therefore, the overall plot of the game, which is quite involved. That will also work as a good reminder to older players who may have forgotten a load of it.

2. Arthedain. An important part of the entire storyline is the player's relationship with Arthedain, especially its ruling Council, which is the main authority in the game, like the Jedi Council in Star Wars. Earlier parts saw rather undiplomatic players try and continuously insult the Council and still expected to be allowed to do whatever they want; we shall wipe the slate clean here and start again and remind people that a. these people rule here! and b. these people are all important, established Dunadan Lords, much as Boromir and Faramir are in LOTR, and indeed, two of the Council are sons of the King himself.

This part of the storyline features heavily in this part, and is the time to try and see how Arthedain actually WORKS.

3. The Tournament., The specific focus of this game, the Tournament is a bit of fun- it allows me to make a fighting tutorial for new (and old!) players, it gives action to a game without hostiles to fight- and, simply put, doing well in it gets you experience points, which should get people motivated!

4. The Traitor. The central plotline of the game, the previous two parts being dominated by the Enemy knowing your every move, from the attacks on the camp and the Princess' convoy in the first part, to the blowing of the expedition to Baranar and the fatal misdirection that caused the destruction of Embylosse in the second. The unthinkable is true, a Council member is the Traitor, and that hole must be plugged. The King has turned to outsiders to help for his ionternal efforts are by definition hampered. At first asking Vardalain, time between then and now has led to all the veteran players being cleared to help out- more on that later. New players are not in the King's confidence and so will not be interacting with this plot yet- we shall see how things go!

---

As the game starts, everyone is present at the Palace for the 'opening ceremony'. The King will turn up to start events off sooner or later, right now, there are vast crowds in the palace, on the streets, on the rooftops... there are streamers and confetti and people are selling things all over the place...

It is a good time to meet people and each other, and ask me or them questions.

Later on, we shall get onto what Tournament events there are, people's equipment (that's going to be kept simpler than last time, which took months), and how the investigation into the Traitor can start. For now... people should just interact and have fun.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 15th, 2005 at 03:09 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 12:19 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

(YEEY, simpler equipment is a good thing, and Argentis will be a bit more diplomatic this time stick out tongue)

Argentis was moving his horse, Emoras, trough the city streets look for things to do.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 12:32 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

big grin....Vardalain strolls along..admiring the pretty ladies

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:24 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

(ahh crap, Ok I guess I have to go figure out the Magic rules and such...)

Palidan Strolls along side Argentis and Vardalain, his Staff making the long strides with him.
"Quite a celebration they've got here."

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 07:58 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rusky
Waiting for da snow

Andromir nods, looking at the masses. big grin

Have fun||

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 08:15 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"Yea they seem really happy about something, weird tho"

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 10:07 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

"A spring celebration, does not, in my mind, seem so odd."

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 10:55 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

'A kingdom at war should spent its time and resources more wisely."

Old Post May 3rd, 2005 05:45 AM
rusky
Waiting for da snow

"It is as if they are not aware of being at war, how odd.."

Have fun||

Old Post May 3rd, 2005 05:20 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Geez, Andromir, you COME from here.

Damn right you are holding the Tournament! Absolute last thing you want to do is let the Witch-King defeat you in spirit. This is an affirmation that life goes on, and he will not overcome you.

And so yes, you practice your martial skills, as a demonstration of strength, and celebrate, as a demonstration of spirit, and the whole of it is a great way to bring others here to see how Arthedain still stands!

It's also traditional, and that means a lot to the Dunadain.

Your borders are secure. The enemy is not at the gates. The destruction of Embylosse aside, there has not actually been any open warfare in decades. So yeah, people want this tournament.

And that's fine talk coming from an Eotheod, who will happily blow vast resources on a booze up...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 15th, 2005 at 03:10 PM

Old Post May 3rd, 2005 05:27 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Well atleast we get drunk stick out tongue

Old Post May 3rd, 2005 05:59 PM
Dexx
wingless

en high elf shall not diry himself with lowlife customs ...such as getting drunk stick out tongue,.....infidels!!

Old Post May 3rd, 2005 06:13 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Bloody Elves...

Obviously a distinct lack of new arrivals in the city so far, I see!

Well now, over the course of the day, there is business to attend to, as well as fun.

Andromir, the King has asked to see you shortly...

... after which he's going to talk to Vardalain.

Marakith will have a word with Argentis, and a message has arrived for Palidan, by Eagle.

BtVS

Old Post May 4th, 2005 11:26 AM
Dexx
wingless

vardalain will be waiting for the king's call

Old Post May 4th, 2005 12:03 PM
Fire

I'll report for duty A.S.A.P.

Old Post May 4th, 2005 02:08 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Ohh fancy,
I Get an Eagle-gram.
I'll thank the Eagle, (Are these the cool talking eagles?)
and Read the note.

Old Post May 4th, 2005 09:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's not a Great Eagle, no! But it is intelligent, and can understand you.

It bears a message wrapped arouind its foot from your homeland (which I THINK was Lorien but I cannot 100% be certain; if it is, it is from Celeborn)

The message- in Sindarin, not Quenyan; they must be feeling open-minded today in the Golden Wood- acknowledged that you have decided to stay in Arthedain, which is not exactly the reason you travelled to Rivendell in the first place, which they also note.

That being the case, the Lady Galadriel wishes you to perform a service for her. Certain rumours have reached her ears about the sorcerous activities of the so-called 'Witch-King', especially something to do with a curse of the old burial mounds of the Cardolani nobility. She does not trust the opinion of amateurs on this matter, however. You, being an Elf of developing power, are far more qualified to make an assessment. Galadriel wishes you, as you make your endeavours to help out the Arthedani (which she notes as a valid and laudable expression of your own conscience, so long as you don't give the impression that it constitutes any form of official response- the affairs of Men are not our own), to investigate and report on any similar occurences of displays power from forces of Rhudaur or Angmar.

(and if you don't understand any of that, blame her, not me- and this is a good time to find these things out)

The Eagle is staring at you in a 'You'll send a reply if you know what's good for you' fashion.

-

Marakith has a man with him, Argentis, dressed not dissimilarly to you. Marakith introduces him as Garulf, and he is a personal courier of the Chieftian of the Eotheod.

(and if Storm is playing, she is with Garulf too)

-

Well, we can do the King's bits simultaneously. The King has invited you up to his private chambers, Vardalain. In fact, he leads you up a high tower, very high indeed, where you are isolated. In a chamber atop that tower lays a pedestal, and on that pedestal a small glass ball.

"I am never disturbed in here," says Arvedui, closing and locking the door behind him.

BtVS

Old Post May 5th, 2005 11:38 AM
Dexx
wingless

"the palantir.." says Vardalain glaring at the glass ball.
"what is it you wished to see me for, your highness?"

Old Post May 5th, 2005 12:03 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It shifts, mistily, as you stare at it.

"A Palantir, anyway," says Arvedui. "I am the custodian of two personally, and a third lies within my borders, though the third is not of much use. They show me many things, but they cannot show me the darkness at the heart of my Kingdom. Not that it is ever safe to peer into Darkness. No, I must rely on the minds of people.

"You know of what I speak, Vardalain. Have you any ideas?"

BtVS

Old Post May 5th, 2005 12:17 PM
Dexx
wingless

"you wish to find the traitor within the council." answers vardalain

Old Post May 5th, 2005 01:02 PM