KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » The Definitive Screen Joker

Who has been the definitive screen Joker
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Cesar Romero 1 5.26%
Jack Nicholson 1 5.26%
Mark Hamill 2 10.53%
Heath Ledger 15 78.95%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Total: 19 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Definitive Screen Joker
Started by: Darth Martin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Martin

The Definitive Screen Joker

Who, or what, in your opinion makes the definitive Joker? To my knowledge, there have been four potrayals of the character by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger.

I feel each character has a distinct edge. Being part of tv series' Romero and Hamill have far more appearances as the character, especially Hamill when you factor in all of the crossovers, DTV films, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I think it's obvious that Hamill's potrayal in the video game has been the closest to the comic book character. But there have been various interpretaions of the character in the books, just like there have been in the television and movie adaptions.

How do you feel these four actors rank? What makes a great Joker? Who's approach do you like the most? Which potrayal's look did you like the most?

My Opinion
1.Mark Hamill
2.Heath Ledger
3.Cesar Romero
4.Jack Nicholson

I'll weigh in on the reasons after I hear some of yours.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 11:10 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

heath ledger. As much as i like mark's voice, in the batman tas joker sometimes was pathetic.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 01:18 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Ledger's my favorite/the best in my opinion, with Hamill as second. Ledger brought the character to life and really blew me away with his portrayal. I still remember how impressed I was the first time I saw TDK in theaters. Ledger got better monologues than Hamill did as TAS Joker, he was far, far creepier, it was a fuller performance. Hamill does awesome, consistent voicework, but voice actors are limited - Heath Ledger inhabited the role physically and mentally and gave us a one-of-a-kind performance. Looks badass too.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 01:25 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Batman: Arkham Asylum Joker looks far more creepier than Ledger's Joker.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 01:37 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Eh, that's debatable. To me, the context of Nolan's semi-realistic world makes Ledger's Joker's appearance creepier. You can imagine actually running into that version and shitting your pants or something. The AA Joker looks creepy for sure, but just the fact that he's computer-generated kind of detracts from the overall creepiness imo.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 02:49 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

If you ran into AA Joker in reality you would shit your drawers.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 04:50 AM
Badabing
Karen

Ledger did better than I thought he would as Joker. I wasn't happy about him just being a scarred guy in makeup though. I did like the lines "I'm like a dog chasing a car." And "I just do." Plus the magic trick scene screamed Joker to me. I think Ledger did an admirable job of a different take on Joker.

Hamill does a fine voice for Joker. To me, he's the most atypical version. Has both the "campiness" of Romero and the psycho killer aspect of the comics.

Nicholson seemed to capture the "brilliant psycho" persona of Joker imo.

Romero's Joker was the most fun imo. Nothing like a campy version for laughs.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Last edited by Badabing on Jun 29th, 2010 at 08:23 PM

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 04:24 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

I like them all equally, but Romano.

Nicholson was BRILLANT, and so was Ledger. Hamill is a classic.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 06:44 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Nicholson was too "Jack Nicholson" and not enough "Joker."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 07:31 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

best Joker is Ledger, Jack being second..

Hamill does the voice very well

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 09:37 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Nicholson was too "Jack Nicholson" and not enough "Joker."
He missed the boat. I watched the movie in its entirety last night and he is way over the top and goes on far too long with his act. Contrary to popular belief, I think Batman upstaged Joker in that film.

Then I watched Mask of the Phantasm right after it. Hamill is brilliant as the Joker. He nailed the part in this film. Watch below at 3:11

Last edited by Darth Martin on Jun 30th, 2010 at 07:46 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2010 07:43 PM
uniqueweasel

I think they all do a good job in fitting in with their individual takes on Gotham and intergrating into that. I prefer Heaths Joker, in particular the fact there is no back story to how he came to be creates more of a mystique. Just my opinion.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2010 12:50 PM
uniqueweasel is currently offline Click here to Send uniqueweasel a Private Message Find more posts by uniqueweasel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Re: The Definitive Screen Joker

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Who, or what, in your opinion makes the definitive Joker? To my knowledge, there have been four potrayals of the character by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger.

I feel each character has a distinct edge. Being part of tv series' Romero and Hamill have far more appearances as the character, especially Hamill when you factor in all of the crossovers, DTV films, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I think it's obvious that Hamill's potrayal in the video game has been the closest to the comic book character. But there have been various interpretaions of the character in the books, just like there have been in the television and movie adaptions.

How do you feel these four actors rank? What makes a great Joker? Who's approach do you like the most? Which potrayal's look did you like the most?

My Opinion
1.Mark Hamill
2.Heath Ledger
3.Cesar Romero
4.Jack Nicholson

I'll weigh in on the reasons after I hear some of yours.

My list is almost exactly like yours.Only Difference is I have is I put Romero at #2 and Ledger at # 3.Will give my reasons later.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2010 11:25 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Badabing
Ledger did better than I thought he would as Joker. I wasn't happy about him just being a scarred guy in makeup though. I did like the lines "I'm like a dog chasing a car." And "I just do." Plus the magic trick scene screamed Joker to me. I think Ledger did an admirable job of a different take on Joker.

Hamill does a fine voice for Joker. To me, he's the most atypical version. Has both the "campiness" of Romero and the psycho killer aspect of the comics.

Nicholson seemed to capture the "brilliant psycho" persona of Joker imo.

Romero's Joker was the most fun imo. Nothing like a campy version for laughs.

thumb up

My list:

Hamill
Nicholson
Ledger
Romero

While you can argue (quite well) that Ledger's was the better performance, i prefer the kind of Joker Nicholson was, so he gets the vote from me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 09:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

As awesome and terrifying and as mysterious as Heath's Joker was, Romero gets my vote.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2010 11:31 PM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

A fusion of all 4:

-Hamil's laugh
-Romero's build
-Jack's origin
-Ledger's personality

And this costume:
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 01:41 AM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Mystery
Supervillain Sensation

I have a Joker figure like that but the trenchcoat and hat are grey (gray for my U.S. peeps), makes him look like a P.I.
Also I thought Jack's origin story was shit.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 04:00 AM
Dr Mystery is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Mystery a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Mystery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Originally posted by Dr Mystery
I have a Joker figure like that but the trenchcoat and hat are grey (gray for my U.S. peeps), makes him look like a P.I.
Also I thought Jack's origin story was shit.

I just love the idea of the Joker being a former gangster/hitman.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2010 04:40 AM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha-7
No.1

I can't seperate Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger.

Thanks to Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2010 03:10 PM
Alpha-7 is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha-7 a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha-7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
freakybinx
Restricted

Account Restricted

jack and mark ftw

Old Post Aug 18th, 2010 02:28 AM
freakybinx is currently offline Click here to Send freakybinx a Private Message Find more posts by freakybinx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote