KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » King Kandy's Tourney: Draft 1

King Kandy's Tourney: Draft 1
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Kandy

King Kandy's Tourney: Draft 1

Send your submissions at 5:00 Pacific time.

Contestants will send a single draft pick to me via PM, where I will do a "first consideration" of whether to accept them or not. If they pass, I will post the draft choice in the draft thread, anonymously, and contestants will have a chance to debate whether it should be accepted or not. If a strong case is made that the character should not be accepted, the contestant will have to pick a new character (which will again be given via PM).

Draft will end at 5:00 pacific time, three days from now.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2010 11:40 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 12:14 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
Draft 1:

Madison Jeffries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Jeffries

As opposed to Magneto, who I assume is allowed at the low herald power level. Interesting.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 12:37 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 03:26 AM
King Kandy

Draft 4:

Vulcan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_%28Marvel_Comics%29

(I feel he may be too powerful despite being listed in "low herald". If anyone can give good evidence either way, much obliged.)

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 06:21 PM
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Vulcan seems like fair game if Monica, and Starhawk are allowed.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 09:28 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

he may be pushing the upper level. When he was introduced, there is no doubt he would be too strong, but since seeing him fight Havok, Polaris and the Starjammers in King War, he might have had his powerset defined a bit better, and pulled in a bit.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 09:53 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Vulcan and Nova (Richard Ryder) may be mid heralds.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 10:08 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Isn't current Nova > Vulcan?

I'm not really familiar with current Nova unfortunatly...

EDIT: what kind of feat would differentiate low from mid herald? I can grab the King war stuff for us to look at.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 10:14 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

There are not particular feats that make you jump ranks, normally is about how good you look on Average and how above-your-rank people can you beat/hang with. A delicate balance, that's for sure.

Nova was becoming consistently good at the end of his run, and Vulcan always worked on a high threat level through his relatively short career. Compare that consistency with heralds such as Apocalypse and Magneto and you'll see that Vulcan and Nova are considered overall more solid.

Edit: Note that I'm not -directly- saying Vulcan and Nova are above the caps, but some of the highlights in their careers happened after the tier list was locked so the discussion for movements never were fully developped.

Last edited by Bentley on Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 10:30 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

to be fair, I would put Vulcan above magneto, Apoc, and the other draft picks thus far

I'm too new to this to say yay or nay though

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 11:02 PM
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Emperor Vulcan is in that grey are between Low-Mid herald. An argument could be made both ways. But all in all, Magneto seems far more impressive, with better feats/track record then Vulcan. If Magneto is our point of reference, to base where energy manipulators stand. I for one think he is fair game, and I’ve read every piece of material involving Vulcan.

Now Vulcan when he had his team mates powers, is a clear no. But he isn’t the one being drafted.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2010 11:45 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

quote: (post)
Originally posted by "Id"
Emperor Vulcan is in that grey are between Low-Mid herald. An argument could be made both ways. But all in all, Magneto seems far more impressive, with better feats/track record then Vulcan. If Magneto is our point of reference, to base where energy manipulators stand. I for one think he is fair game, and I’ve read every piece of material involving Vulcan.

Now Vulcan when he had his team mates powers, is a clear no. But he isn’t the one being drafted.

actually, I have to agree at this point

Just flipped through the War of Kings/Realm of Kings stuff and (spoiler warning) it is essentially Vulcan getting beat by Havok and Black Bolt (who, for most of the fight doesn't use his voice powers, and when he does, annhilates Vulcan essentially in one hit).

TBH, considering he was supposed to be the "villian" of the series, he had a very low showing...

Doesn't he get beat up by gladiator in Emperor Vulcan?

(Vulcan does have some other advantages over magneto though, accelerated healing, strength, durability, speed)

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:03 AM
King Kandy

Alright, i'm convinced by now.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:19 AM
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

He did get one-shooted once Gladiator went serious. But the fact that he single handedly took on the Imperial Guard by himself is impressive.

Other then his Omega Level physicality, that grants him a decent healing factor. No I don’t know what else he has going for him, besides high energy manipulation.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:24 AM
tsilamini

lol, he DID punch an already weak and restrained Polaris in the face...

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:36 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'll cosign Id, that if Magneto is the reference point, Vulcan should be fine. The point of drafts is to push the limits without breaking them, so they're valid picks imo. Most of the people who should be banned in a given draft are fairly obvious, and force a reaction from other competitors.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 12:45 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Draft 5: Magneto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto_(comics)

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 01:32 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Beh, I'm among people who think Vulcan is above Magneto simply because he steadly works as a mid to high Magneto, he is just worse at pissing feat contests because he has less showings. I guess you can make an argument about it, but losing to Blackbolt (whom he was beating before he used his voice) and to Gladiator (in a relatively good showing for the character) doesn't make you Apocalypse level.

I guess that, since Vulcan can always be compared to Magneto, he qualifies as "fair enough". This kind of ABC logic doesn't quite fly for me in defining tiers though -you could allow a bunch of mid heralds using the same basis-.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:00 AM
Smurph
------

In my mind, Vulcan has comparable power output to Magneto (perhaps greater, but I really don't think it would play out that clearly given a feat war), and far less talent or shown versatility implementing said power.

Therefore, he's allowable, IMO, but I may eat those words come the tourney.

I'm following my usual MO of throwing a team together completely on the fly. I'd like to pretend I'm just that awesome that I don't need the prep and thought that everybody else has put into their teams, but given my track record of winning tourneys (oh wait... it doesn't exist), that's pretty clearly not the case. C'est la vie.

[/obligatory if-i-lose-here's-why disclaimer]

Old Post Oct 14th, 2010 02:41 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote