KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » The BCS.

The BCS.
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

The BCS.

I think the system is shit and needs to be redone.

A playoff system is better. Every year, this same argument comes up: more money to be made in a play off system, smaller schools could make more money in the playoff system, larger schools that do not deserve their ranking will be eliminated in the first round, and meaningless bowl games can be eliminated.

Some propose a hybrid system that allows for both the BCS and playoffs. The top 12 teams go to the playoffs. The rest assume their normal bowl games.

That doesn't solve the problems of truly spectacular teams missing out like Boise State did. They were clearly one of the best teams in NCAA football, that year.

Maybe the system could be expanded to the top 24 teams?

What are you thoughts. Please, give me solutions, too.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2011 10:21 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The top 16 teams according to polls have a one game playoff structure. It's all based on rankings so 1 faces of against 16. The major bowl games (Orange, Rose etc.) could be the first set of playoffs games. This would be a total of 3 games (so an extra two games). If your not in the top 16, too bad.

The rest of teams after 16 can have the stupid no name bowl games as per usual.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2011 05:56 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
The top 16 teams according to polls have a one game playoff structure. It's all based on rankings so 1 faces of against 16. The major bowl games (Orange, Rose etc.) could be the first set of playoffs games. This would be a total of 3 games (so an extra two games). If your not in the top 16, too bad.

The rest of teams after 16 can have the stupid no name bowl games as per usual.

Ahhhh. I see. That would work out. I still want some of the other teams (who may have a weak schedule) to get a chance to avoid that Boise State crap we had a few years back. Could Boise State have won the BCS Championship? Maybe..maybe not. We will never know because it didn't happen.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2011 08:48 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well, in my opinion, there isn't a way to please everybody based on the amount of teams that play Division 1 football and the game of football.

So in reality, if you can't make it in the top 16 teams, there is probably a reason for it. There will be teams complaining at the 17,18 spots who don't make it but where do you stop letting people in?

I'm not a huge follower of college football but if you want to get a chance, you must win. So if you have a weak schedule, if your a team that wants to boast about being a contender, the team should theoretically be undefeated, or at least lose one game.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2011 02:36 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I think the system is shit and needs to be redone.

A playoff system is better. Every year, this same argument comes up: more money to be made in a play off system, smaller schools could make more money in the playoff system, larger schools that do not deserve their ranking will be eliminated in the first round, and meaningless bowl games can be eliminated.

Some propose a hybrid system that allows for both the BCS and playoffs. The top 12 teams go to the playoffs. The rest assume their normal bowl games.

That doesn't solve the problems of truly spectacular teams missing out like Boise State did. They were clearly one of the best teams in NCAA football, that year.

Maybe the system could be expanded to the top 24 teams?

What are you thoughts. Please, give me solutions, too.

I agree Dom,, but I've always thought maybe only the top 4 to 8 teams in a playoff and then finally the last two standing play for everything..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 15th, 2011 07:42 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote