KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

Benicio Del Toro was approached but rejected it, so apparently British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is believed to be playing the villain.

This role should have gone to Javiar Bardem. Khan-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! I say.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 19th, 2012 06:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Benicio Del Toro was approached but rejected it, so apparently British actor Benedict Cumberbatch is believed to be playing the villain.

This role should have gone to Javiar Bardem. Khan-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! I say.

Del Toro is probably sick of being villains, and Bardem has been avoiding them since his Chigurh role.

Cumberbatch?

Seriously?

I can't imagine him being scary, weird maybe but not scary. Bringing Khan into this new franchise is just saying 'we have no fresh ideas' and that's what this remake is all supposed to be built on. The other films and the many tv episodes have covered basically everything.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2012 09:36 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Del Toro is probably sick of being villains, and Bardem has been avoiding them since his Chigurh role.

Cumberbatch?

Seriously?

I can't imagine him being scary, weird maybe but not scary. Bringing Khan into this new franchise is just saying 'we have no fresh ideas' and that's what this remake is all supposed to be built on. The other films and the many tv episodes have covered basically everything.

I'm actually very happy they're using Khan, as this is an alternate timeline and they're free to change the story.

The only thing they need to stick with since it would have been pre time-lime crossover would be Khan and his crew in hyper-sleep aboard the Botany Bay drifting in space and Khan being a power-hungry genius megalomaniac.

They could have a Klingon (or other race) ship find him instead of the Enterprise, or have him wake-up due to some other event etc. Many possibilities to go a completely new direction.

But yeah, dude just doesn't shout out as being Khan:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 19th, 2012 at 09:59 PM

Old Post Jan 19th, 2012 09:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

I'm actually very happy they're using Khan, as this is an alternate timeline and they're free to change the story.

The only thing they need to stick with since it would have been pre time-lime crossover would be Khan and his crew in hyper-sleep aboard the Botany Bay drifting in space and Khan being a power-hungry genius megalomaniac.

They could have a Klingon (or other race) ship find him instead of the Enterprise, or have him wake-up due to some other event etc. Many possibilities to go a completely new direction.

But yeah, dude just doesn't shout out as being Khan:

Of course, there's other ways of getting Khan in the story but the tension and expectancy in WOK was brought about by Khan being personally linked with Kirk and their history together. He may just be 'another villain' and no more than that. Or this is the first meeting between the two and it's just setting it up for a future revenge film.

The gaffe in WOK was hilarious though, where he 'remembers' Chekov.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2012 10:11 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

I'd expect they could fit the meeting, betrayal and revenge plots all into this one film(should they go that path again) and not have Khan coming back in a JJ Star Trek 3 or 4 or other.

Who knows, they could start it off with the meeting of the two chars, have Khan try his tomfoolery, Kirk bests him and then they FFW 'X' amount of years in the film and we have a grunge-holding butt-hurt Khan seeking vengeance.

I'd personally prefer a different story and not a new paint-job of the original though.

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Old Post Jan 19th, 2012 10:24 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Holy shit they better make that guy over.
He must have been picked for acting chops or something....
Kinda disappointed that Bardem didn't get it though.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jan 20th, 2012 12:14 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Holy shit they better make that guy over.
He must have been picked for acting chops or something....
Kinda disappointed that Bardem didn't get it though.

Yeah, massive make-up, dude better start working-out now.

I have no idea if Bardem was ever approached, he just fits the role very well in both looks and acting capabilities. Would have been my first choice.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2012 12:16 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah I think it was you who mentioned that before...stuck in my mind as a winner, I guess.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jan 20th, 2012 12:47 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

I'd expect they could fit the meeting, betrayal and revenge plots all into this one film(should they go that path again) and not have Khan coming back in a JJ Star Trek 3 or 4 or other.

Who knows, they could start it off with the meeting of the two chars, have Khan try his tomfoolery, Kirk bests him and then they FFW 'X' amount of years in the film and we have a grunge-holding butt-hurt Khan seeking vengeance.

I'd personally prefer a different story and not a new paint-job of the original though.

Yeah, and whats more I think it's clear with the casting of Cumberbatch that they are going for a more cerebal character and not a 'physical adversary. The guy has played Sherlock Holmes and did a portrayal of Stephen Hawking so I think this confirms this. I can't imagine him being a 'physical' enemy although saying that Montalban wasn't either so...

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2012 05:17 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

The Khan rumours have been around, but even with this casting I have heard denials this will be about Khan, and instead someone new. Link?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 05:05 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by roughrider
The Khan rumours have been around, but even with this casting I have heard denials this will be about Khan, and instead someone new. Link?

This is one of many hits:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/04/exc...ek-sequel-role/

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2012 07:03 PM
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

The article doesn't mention anything about "Sherlock" being cast as Khan. It just says "bad-guy". And even IMDB only has his casting as rumored.

I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing), and he has a Nazi-esk appearance here:

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 11:49 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Re: Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

The gaffe in WOK was hilarious though, where he 'remembers' Chekov.

There was an alternate take done of that scene where Khan says
"Ohhh i never forget a face that runs by me in the hall, Mr......Checkov, isn't it?"
LOL

i find it funny when they entered the system to go to ceti alpha 6, that their scensors didn't notice that a planet was missing?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 05:21 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

Originally posted by darthmaul1
There was an alternate take done of that scene where Khan says
"Ohhh i never forget a face that runs by me in the hall, Mr......Checkov, isn't it?"
LOL

i find it funny when they entered the system to go to ceti alpha 6, that their scensors didn't notice that a planet was missing?

big grin

Yeah, it's an interesting one because he could have seen Chekov as just a random crewman, or even on some computer file when he took over the ship but the delivery of the line was as if he'd met him and they knew each other. Even Chekov's quotes towards Khan suggest that he knew OF Khan and the incident with Kirk rather than actually having been there.

He was probably the only character available to find Khan because it really couldn't have been Scotty, Sulu or Uhura and definitely not Spock or McCoy who were needed on the Enterprise. I tend to think the introduction of Saavik shunted Chekov of the team a little so it was a case of 'tag, you're it, even if it doesn't make sense!'

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 07:29 PM
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by CadoAngelus
I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing),

Grr...

big grin

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 07:31 PM
darthmaul1

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So they cast Khan for JJ's second film...

big grin

Yeah, it's an interesting one because he could have seen Chekov as just a random crewman, or even on some computer file when he took over the ship but the delivery of the line was as if he'd met him and they knew each other. Even Chekov's quotes towards Khan suggest that he knew OF Khan and the incident with Kirk rather than actually having been there.

He was probably the only character available to find Khan because it really couldn't have been Scotty, Sulu or Uhura and definitely not Spock or McCoy who were needed on the Enterprise. I tend to think the introduction of Saavik shunted Chekov of the team a little so it was a case of 'tag, you're it, even if it doesn't make sense!'

That's the thing though they could of got Sulu i guess, he's been on plenty of away missions.
but it's not as bad as the next generation (insurection) where Worf just shows up out of no where and they start to explain why he is there then they quickly pan off screen and let the conversation trickle away so there is no explanation as to why he is there. that was a big WTF for me in the theater.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 10:20 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by CadoAngelus

I do however think he is Villian material. He's British (always a good thing)

Agreed, many movies have benifitted from having british or non american actors.

Batman, Thor, the lord of the rings, (maybe the amazing spiderman?) to name a few

Old Post Jan 24th, 2012 10:27 PM
rudester
Tommy

khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!...lol

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 06:48 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i am not so sure if this person is INDEED Khan...

2 pics have been released..

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...etails-spoilers

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 25th, 2012 01:30 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Feb 25th, 2012 05:47 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote