KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How reliable is Google Translate?

How reliable is Google Translate?
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

How reliable is Google Translate?

I use it from time to time, but it's been brought to my attention by native speakers that at least some of the languages aren't quite up to snuff.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 28th, 2011 02:00 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

It is exactly 73 reliables.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 28th, 2011 02:02 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Sometimes, it spits out translations that are "better" than what most of hte native speakers can produce (grammatically correct, accent marks, etc.)

Other times, it makes silly translations that don't make much sense or are grammatically incorrect.

For example, in English, we have a saying from the space race: To the moon!

In Spanish? A la luna!

It makes no sense.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
It is exactly 73 reliables.

laughing

Old Post May 28th, 2011 03:16 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Chinese-English translation is awful.
It accounts for about 90% of all Chinglish in High School.

French-English one also doesn't always work well - it has problems detecting proper tenses and sometimes the word order is all wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's still the best out there....out of the free ones, that is.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on May 28th, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Old Post May 28th, 2011 11:05 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Chinese-English translation is awful.
It accounts for about 90% of all Chinglish in High School.

French-English one also doesn't always work well - it has problems detecting proper tenses and sometimes the word order is all wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's still the best out there....out of the free ones, that is.

Mhm. My mom is a native speaker of French and she often criticizes the results the French-English translator brings up.

Similarly I know an Italian girl who I've attempted to have conversations with using translate who told me to just stop and speak English with her because I was saying gibberish half the time.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 28th, 2011 06:07 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
genky17

it sometimes gets confused by adding to many words for different sentences in different languages

Old Post Jun 1st, 2011 11:40 AM
genky17 is currently offline Click here to Send genky17 a Private Message Find more posts by genky17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I like Bable fish.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2011 12:43 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Omega Vision

Similarly I know an Italian girl who I've attempted to have conversations with using translate who told me to just stop and speak English with her because I was saying gibberish half the time.

Smooth.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 1st, 2011 05:20 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Smooth.

You know it.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2011 01:40 AM
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

It's not perfect. My test: I use Google to translate this sentence from English to Bulgarian translation, the Netherlands and returned to England! Original: I am using Google Translate to translate this sentence from English to Bulgarian to Chinese to Dutch and then back to English! Still, not terrible compared to other translators. smile

I got everything!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2011 01:59 AM
Grate the Vraya is currently offline Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I think it is pretty good myself.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2011 02:32 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

The test:

English: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.
French: La pluie tombe surtout en Espagne sur la plaine
Back to English: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

Google Translate whats the score?

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Jun 6th, 2011 03:47 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote