KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Christopher Reeve:Best or Worst

Christopher Reeve:Best or Worst
Started by: abhilegend

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Christopher Reeve:Best or Worst

Newsarama has two articles that argues that he was either one of "the best performance in a comic book movie."

http://www.newsarama.com/film/chris...erformance.html

Or

One of the "worst Comic Book-Based Movie PERFORMANCES of All Time"

http://www.newsarama.com/film/worst...ormances-1.html

How do you think he did? Which article do you and don't agree with?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 04:55 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

I actually agree with a lot of what the first article said.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 05:07 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Reeve was/is the quintessential Superman. He nailed (if not outright pioneered) Clark's earnesty and goofball klutz facade and the heroism and quiet intelligence of Superman. To me, that's the perfect characterization of Superman. When I wrote Superman fan-fics or even RPed as him online (yes, my nerdism knows no bounds), I based a lot of my characterization off of Reeve's portrayal

I don't know if he's the best comic book performance of all time, but he's up there. The following scene, while incredibly simple, is probably one of the best ever filmed in the history of comic book movies or cinema.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 05:29 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I'm at work and I can't read any of the articles right now.

They may have things that change my opinion or bring up points I didn't think of.

I don't know how Superman was portrayed at the time I don't read a lot of comics from that time or how well Reeves did portraying that version of Superman at the time, but regardless Reeves' Superman portrayal has been a major part of the character ever since than, and his Superman is often the very first Superman people think of in terms of what define him.

That probably counts for something in regards to his performance of the character.

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Aug 7th, 2012 at 07:07 PM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 05:35 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The extremes with subjective opinions are generally too....extreme.

I thought he did well, and he's obviously remembered for it (though that isn't the same as being good). And he did a great job of seeming different in his various personas. But there's obviously some thick ham being sliced in his dorky Clark Kent sequences.

Last edited by Digi on Aug 7th, 2012 at 06:44 PM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 06:41 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Chris Reeves will forever be the best Clark/Superman... no matter who else comes afterward

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 08:18 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi

I thought he did well, and he's obviously remembered for it (though that isn't the same as being good). And he did a great job of seeming different in his various personas. But there's obviously some thick ham being sliced in his dorky Clark Kent sequences.

Digi stop trying to start a flame war.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 08:38 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I still think the best comic performance is the one who won an Oscar for his role as the Joker, Heath. Reeve is certainly up there, IMO. Top 5 for sure.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2012 11:41 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Digi

That is kind of the point, though: When Superman is in his Clark persona, he is putting on an act and playing a role.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Reeve was/is the quintessential Superman. He nailed (if not outright pioneered) Clark's earnesty and goofball klutz facade and the heroism and quiet intelligence of Superman. To me, that's the perfect characterization of Superman. When I wrote Superman fan-fics or even RPed as him online (yes, my nerdism knows no bounds), I based a lot of my characterization off of Reeve's portrayal

I don't know if he's the best comic book performance of all time, but he's up there. The following scene, while incredibly simple, is probably one of the best ever filmed in the history of comic book movies or cinema.

See, I don't necessarily agree, and when I play him, I don't really try to make him very Reeve-like. I think for his time, Reeve is great, but I think, like Johns did in the Brainiac arc, Superman needs a bit extra nowadays.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2012 12:42 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by -Pr-
That is kind of the point, though: When Superman is in his Clark persona, he is putting on an act and playing a role.

See, I don't necessarily agree, and when I play him, I don't really try to make him very Reeve-like. I think for his time, Reeve is great, but I think, like Johns did in the Brainiac arc, Superman needs a bit extra nowadays.

Fair enough. thumb up

I do like Johns' Donner inspired Superman, though.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2012 12:57 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Fair enough. thumb up

I do like Johns' Donner inspired Superman, though.

I do too, I just felt like that, even in those arcs, he had a little bit more... Humanity, than Reeve had. He was nice, but he was still just a guy, which is something I think Reeve lacked at times.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2012 01:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

The best Superman was Dean Cain.

Run at me.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2012 09:18 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Christopher Reeve is still the definitive Superman; I doubt even Henry Cavill will upstage him, but we'll see next summer.

You could go on how to define definitive - Christoper Reeve wasn't the best actor, but he embodied the character so well; is it great acting or the best representation of a comic character? Robert Downey Jr. is great as Tony Stark, but a lot of that is him merging his known persona with the character. The same with Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury. But that can be the difference between being a known actor/star and an unknown once you've been given such a role - a parallel with Christopher Reeve right now is Chris Hemsworth as Thor, embodying the character so perfectly, partially because we had no preconceived notions of him before, as an up & coming actor in smaller roles.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 8th, 2012 03:36 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

So much easier to be nostalgic than objective.

Reeves is Superman for the same reason Connery is James Bond, because that was how I, and many others, were first exposed to those characters.

Does that make them the best actors ever to fill the roles? No.

That said, I still agree with most of what was said in the pro-Reeves article.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Aug 25th, 2012 07:39 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote