KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » "Pro" Wrestling's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time

"Pro" Wrestling's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time
Started by: BobbyD

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BobbyD
Animal Lover

"Pro" Wrestling's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time

Hi, guys.

Put your top 5 in here. Rank them if possible. If you can't rank them, then put your top 5 in any order. Note: this is NOT a personal Top 5 favorite list.

For me, here goes....

1) Hulk Hogan--the guy that put the sport on the national scene, its most important and first charismatic wrestler, if not for him there may not be a next 4, can anyone really forget: WHATCHA GONNA DO......?

2) The Rock--simply, the greatest entertainer the sport has known, NO ONE could play the crowd better, there's not even really a close 2nd to the Brahma Bull, the Great One, The Most Electrifying Athlete in Sports...blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. The reason why the WWE stinks today is because there is truly a Rock "hangover". IF YOU SMELLLLALALALALALALLOW.....

3)

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 02:05 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Re: "Pro" Wrestling's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BobbyD
Hi, guys.

Put your top 5 in here. Rank them if possible. If you can't rank them, then put your top 5 in any order. Note: this is NOT a personal Top 5 favorite list.

For me, here goes....

1) Hulk Hogan--the guy that put the sport on the national scene, its most important and first charismatic wrestler, if not for him there may not be a next 4, can anyone really forget: WHATCHA GONNA DO......?

2) The Rock--simply, the greatest entertainer the sport has known, NO ONE could play the crowd better, there's not even really a close 2nd to the Brahma Bull, the Great One, The Most Electrifying Athlete in Sports...blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. The reason why the WWE stinks today is because there is truly a Rock "hangover". IF YOU SMELLLLALALALALALALLOW.....

Ooops, sorry, itchy trigger finger...

3) Rick Flair--While Hogan was carrying the then WWF, Rick Flair was holding his own equally as well "in the other league". I couldn't tell if the strut wanted to make me laugh or throw a brick at my TV, or both! ...was hard to put him at #2 over the Rock, but there is no denying his influence and longevity on the sport. TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA.... WoooOOOOOOOOOO!

4) Goldberg--It's starting to get tough now to fill in the remaining slots, but it's hard to argue against what I consider the most destructive force the sport has known. ..can't seem to recall a wrestler who could manipulate gravity and toss 300+ pounders around like a sack of potatoes. The intro is not too shabby either. In then end, it can't feel good to be hit with the best spear EVER, only to be hoisted up later and remain there forever looking down at the mat while blood rushes to your head and the be driven into the mat. Could anyone else ever in the sport really hold the Big Show up that long? ..and then there's steak, of course.

5) ...need some time to think of this one. This is the hardest one yet for me. Stone Cold? Andre the Giant? Randy Macho Man Savage? The Undertaker? The Road Warriors, Animal & Hawk?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 02:17 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El Summers

This is still for all intents and purposes a personal favorites list. What's the criteria supposed to be? Best draws? Technical ability? Mic skills? Good matches?

Also, your write-up for Hogan is hilariously wrong in quite a few areas. How much do you actually know about the history of the business?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 10:01 PM
Kal-El Summers is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El Summers a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El Summers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

million $$$$ man

Bret and owen heart

Lex luger

ultimate warrior

razor ramon

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 06:46 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by Kal-El Summers
This is still for all intents and purposes a personal favorites list. What's the criteria supposed to be? Best draws? Technical ability? Mic skills? Good matches?

Also, your write-up for Hogan is hilariously wrong in quite a few areas. How much do you actually know about the history of the business?

I don't profess to know much about the business. But looking back, I omitted Bruno Sammartino, which is an obvious glare. But, personal preferences aside, I was looking at those who enhanced/brought the sport further financially/globally. I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion. You are most certainly entitled to yours as well. smile

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 02:02 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

1. The Undertaker
2. Terry Funk
3. Mick Foley
4. Shawn Michaels
5. Bret Hart

That'd be my personal picks, of course.
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all, but I can't deny that many people did.
He's overrated like Cena, imo.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Jan 5th, 2011 at 03:18 PM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 03:15 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all

lolwut?

Don't really see how this much is arguable.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2011 05:27 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

The Rock is the GOAT.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 02:06 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
1. The Undertaker
2. Terry Funk
3. Mick Foley
4. Shawn Michaels
5. Bret Hart

That'd be my personal picks, of course.
Never found Hogan to be charismatic at all, but I can't deny that many people did.
He's overrated like Cena, imo.

Like them. Like them all. I guess what I was trying to do in this thread, is basically state who has done the most for their sport. That's more or less what I was trying to achieve. Who's the Gretzky's and Michael Jordan's of this sport. Yes, there were faster skaters than Gretzky, harder shooters; stronger Bballer's than MJ, taller guys than MJ, but who are the greatest? Now, if someone goes the route of best technical wrestlers, this totally changes the list in a heartbeat. But, my point about this thread is who has put the sport on the map, or brought more viewers than anyone else to the television.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2011 04:46 PM
§P0oONY

This is a sports forum.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2011 04:56 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by §P0oONY
This is a sports forum.
laughing out loud Good one.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2011 04:00 PM
maxman1180
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Martin
The Rock is the GOAT.

lol ^_^

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2011 11:53 AM
maxman1180 is currently offline Click here to Send maxman1180 a Private Message Find more posts by maxman1180 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NeoGills
Restricted

Account Restricted

UnderTaker
Shawn Michael
Bret Hart
Stone Cold Steve Austin
and my favorite The Rock

Old Post Nov 16th, 2011 03:29 PM
NeoGills is currently offline Click here to Send NeoGills a Private Message Find more posts by NeoGills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by BobbyD
Like them. Like them all. I guess what I was trying to do in this thread, is basically state who has done the most for their sport. That's more or less what I was trying to achieve. Who's the Gretzky's and Michael Jordan's of this sport. Yes, there were faster skaters than Gretzky, harder shooters; stronger Bballer's than MJ, taller guys than MJ, but who are the greatest? Now, if someone goes the route of best technical wrestlers, this totally changes the list in a heartbeat. But, my point about this thread is who has put the sport on the map, or brought more viewers than anyone else to the television.

Well, if we were going that route, then Stone Cold Austin was just about the same level of popularity as Hulk Hogan when they were in their prime.

Stone Cold brought about the Attitude era, a total make-over from the fancy-pants era of the bygone years.
He gave the chance for 'heels' to be superstars.
He made children of the modern era like wrestling, when it was almost on the verge of death.

He should be #3, if not #2 or #1, in your personal list.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Dec 30th, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2011 10:53 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

in random order:

* Rock
* Stone Cold
* Undertaker
* Hulk Hogan
* Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels

and if i could add a stable in the list: DX
and the DX roster i loved was:

* HHH
* Road Dogg
* Billy Gunn
* X-Pac

Old Post Jan 12th, 2012 04:35 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

I say the rock, for this reason alone

Old Post Jan 13th, 2012 12:18 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Hulk Hogan
The Rock
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Ric Flair
Shawn Michaels / Undertaker

Not my personal five favorites, but I think those five impacted the business in a way that not many people could have done.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2012 07:08 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
majid86
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Macho Man Randy Savage!

OOOH YEAHHH!

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 08:50 PM
majid86 is currently offline Click here to Send majid86 a Private Message Find more posts by majid86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Triple H
The Rock
Steve Austin
Undertaker
Hogan

NOBODY filled areas like these guys!

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post May 31st, 2012 02:49 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

For me, it'd probably be:

(please log in to view the image)
1. Shawn Michaels
He was just the complete package. He could be a brawler, he could be a technician, he could be a high-flier, he could sell, he could work a crowd, he could cut a fantastic promo, etc. He could do it all. He could wrestle a broomstick and it'd be a Match of the Year candidate. The greatest ever, imo.

2. Great Muta
The Japanese Undertaker. He, like HBK, could do it all in the ring (brawl, technical, high-flying, etc.), and had enough American appeal to win the World Heavyweight Championship in WCW. He is also one of the most decorated champions in Japanese pro wrestling history. And his gimmick was AMAZING. The most underrated wrestler ever, imo.

3. Ric Flair
He was Shawn Michaels before Shawn Michaels. He couldn't do the acrobatic manuevers that Shawn would be able to, but he was an even better crowd worker and an even better promo cutter. The guy just dripped charisma and was a real good mat wrestler. One of the greatest of all time.

4. Randy Savage
Another all around fantastic performer. A great in-ring talent who had the charisma to work a crowd like no other. OOOHHH YEEEEAAAHHH!!!

5. Bret Hart
Not the most interesting guy to ever lace up a pair of boots, but he is the definition of a technical wrestler. One of the best pure in-ring talents to ever get into the ring.

Honorable Mentions:

Hulk Hogan
The original superman of professional wrestling. He had the charisma, and was an underrated in-ring performer. He was never gonna be a great technical wrestler, but as a brawler, he could put on very memorable matches. WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?!?!

Sting
Yet another all around performer (see a pattern?) who had plenty of in-ring talent AND charisma. His Surfer gimmick was fun and nostalgic, but his Crow gimmick from 1996-1997 remains one of the best gimmicks ever in American professional wrestling.

Undertaker
One of the best gimmicks ever. Whether a heel or face, he could work a crowd. And his older matches with Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels back in the 90s were fantastic. Though he WAS slightly more charisma than ring work, his in-ring talent could not be denied.

Old Post May 31st, 2012 09:22 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote