KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Sound Based Weapons

Sound Based Weapons
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Sound Based Weapons

Ok, so I know that Iraq and the US are using sound based weapons with infrasound and ultrasound and all those other sound things to use as biological weapons (ie making them think God is talking to them, having them experience pain through the bursting of the eardrum, thing like that) However is it physically possibe using real science, or theoretically possible (not comic book science) to use sound vibrations in the way the character Shriek from Batman Beyond used them? To create effective earthquakes with them? making molecules move so much that the vibrations cause things to explode? all the other parts to his powers as well.....any of the smart people have an answer?

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 03:21 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khellendros
Sin in Pants

It is theoretically possible to make things explode with sound. If you've ever ehard of opera singers shattering glasses with their voices, it's true. I don't remember the whole explanation, but basically the soundwaves have to vibrate on the same... wavelength (I believe) as the matter you want to destroy.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 10:13 AM
Khellendros is currently offline Click here to Send Khellendros a Private Message Find more posts by Khellendros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

frequency. if the harmonic matches the vibration of the glass, or whatever item you're looking for, and it's held long enough, the glass will shatter. however, for items less brittle and thin, that would require phenomenally intense soundwaves that would likely waste more energy than would be profitable. and each bomb would need to be programmed to the exact frequency of its intended target, etc. it'd be an interesting idea, but i doubt it's a growing science in the weapons field.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 11:07 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Ok, so I know that Iraq and the US are using sound based weapons with infrasound and ultrasound and all those other sound things to use as biological weapons (ie making them think God is talking to them, having them experience pain through the bursting of the eardrum, thing like that) However is it physically possibe using real science, or theoretically possible (not comic book science) to use sound vibrations in the way the character Shriek from Batman Beyond used them? To create effective earthquakes with them? making molecules move so much that the vibrations cause things to explode? all the other parts to his powers as well.....any of the smart people have an answer?

How about any of the shit Klaw does? is that theoretically possible.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 12:31 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Disappear
frequency. if the harmonic matches the vibration of the glass, or whatever item you're looking for, and it's held long enough, the glass will shatter. however, for items less brittle and thin, that would require phenomenally intense soundwaves that would likely waste more energy than would be profitable. and each bomb would need to be programmed to the exact frequency of its intended target, etc. it'd be an interesting idea, but i doubt it's a growing science in the weapons field.

how much would be long enough? hmmmm, so what about like large buildings? To make them collapse on themsevles, like a sound produced bulldozer? I remember seeing one of the Batman Beyond shows and thinking that would have been an awesome tool for construction work when they needed to tear things down.

Grey Fox what type of things can Klaw do?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 01:21 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

klaw basically emitted sonic vibrations as concussive force blasts via his satellite-looking, hand-replacing weapon. he later became an entity of pure sonic energy, and i believe his abilities expanded exponentially at that point. he still wore the claw, for some reason. i think he even brought down 'the mound,' the main vibranium mine in wakanda, recently. so, that's something.

a big building is made of so many different things vibrating at so many different frequencies, it could very well be completely implausible, if not utterly impossible, to bring it down through harmonic weaponry alone. unless they created an enormous sonic boom to destabilize the building, i don't really think it could be done in real-science terms.

i remember the guy from batman beyond. all white and black with blue circles and oversized gloves. i always thought he had interesting powers, i just don't think they have any real-time application.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 02:05 PM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Disappear
a big building is made of so many different things vibrating at so many different frequencies, it could very well be completely implausible, if not utterly impossible, to bring it down through harmonic weaponry alone. unless they created an enormous sonic boom to destabilize the building, i don't really think it could be done in real-science terms.

you'd only have to focus on the support beams though

and the shattering the glass by the opera singer thing - they can't do that to glass, only crystal. Glass is very different from crystal and due to the way it's made it all has different resonance frequencies

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Mar 6th, 2006 04:38 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

hmmmm. Oh well, Im guessing unless someone can come up with device that matches up perfectly and instantly to whatever its in contact with, none of that would be possible.........

soooo any cool ideas anyones had with sound based powers???

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 04:27 AM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

hmmmm. Oh well, Im guessing unless someone can come up with device that matches up perfectly and instantly to whatever its in contact with, none of that would be possible.........

soooo any cool ideas anyones had with sound based powers???

Causing your enemies ear drums to burst while you mow them down with gunfire....

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 06:50 AM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Ive heard the Army already has that. Its more of a sniper weapon though.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 02:00 PM
Scoobless
sselboocS

The way Iron man, and some other guys, use sound to incapacitate people should be completely possible:

(please log in to view the image)

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 06:21 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

that looks more plausabile than like banshees powers. Or being able to FLY with them.....

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 06:23 PM
Disappear

banshee and siryn can fly because they have psionic aspects to their powers which allow them to rechannel the sonic vibrations into directional thrust allowing to move. most psi-based powers aren't feasible.

certain sonic frequencies, there, are being used to upset the inner ear, causing dizziness and vertigo. that's more practical than sonic lances.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 08:28 PM
TheKahn
The Dude abides

Re: Sound Based Weapons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

Demonstrated Infrasonic weapon
The U.S. DOD has demonstrated phased arrays of infrasonic emitters. The weapon, about the size of a truck, usually consists of a device that generates sound at about 7Hz. The output from the device is routed (by pipes) to an array of open emitters, which are usually one wavelength apart. At this frequency, armor and concrete walls and other common building materials vibrate, and therefore provide no defense. The frequency is chosen to be near the resonant frequency of internal organs, causing illness, deafness, and internal injuries.

As a defense to such a weapon, mechanical "diode walls" to convert the oscillating air into a steady flow have been demonstrated. Although not common at this time, they could be mass-produced and would provide an effective countermeasure.

Lethal sonic weapons, in air:
Most of these are science fiction only. There are these types:

* Powerful low-pitched sound waves as a shock wave that blows enemies back. Fictional rifles that project sound to knock down or stun are featured in the 2002 movie Minority Report.
* A tight beam of focused sound used as a weapon like the focused light in laser guns.
* A powerful ultrasound beam which can liquefy living tissue.
* A powerful sound designed to get buildings or structures to resonate and cause them to collapse.

Lethal sonic weapons, underwater:
Underwater, some sonic weapons are practicable in the real world. For an example, see anti-frogman techniques.

* Ultrasound disintegration of solids in liquids is well known in industry, and could be adapted into a weapon.
* It has long been known that ultrasound in water will kill small water animals.
* There have been unconfirmed reports of scuba diver deaths and mass deaths of fish from being caught in powerful undersea ultrasound beams used by navies for communicating with submarines.
* It is suspected that sperm whales and dolphins use powerful ultrasound to stun or kill their prey.
* There have been unconfirmed speculations about development of lethal underwater ultrasound anti-frogman weapons.

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 09:05 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

If I yell loud, it'll annoy the hell out of you. That's, like, almost a superpower. Super-annoying-ness. Kinda like Jubilee, only less pronounced. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 12:45 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

there are other things that can annoy the hell outa me, you dont have to yell to do it digi roll eyes (sarcastic)

stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 01:13 AM
Disappear

i just read a marvel adventures comic, featuring klaw and the fantastic four. the guy's powers are sick. he was matching sonic vibrations with the unique frequencies of the FF members, and royally ****ing their days up. knocked ben through so much shit, dropped johnny out of the sky during a blue angels air show, strung reed all across his ruined lab... he made the "mistake"/plot device of assuming sue was the weakest of the four, and she gave him with a contest. turned invisible, making him use sonar to find her. then it turned out it wasn't really her. and he made this big ol' sound monster... if that shit was legit by real-world science, i'd give up my right hand to do it.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2006 06:35 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

any ideas you yourself have had with sound? something that "could" happen?

and I thought all humans had about the same frequencies? or am I completely wrong?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 01:56 AM
Disappear

cosmic radiation?

i always wondered if a sonic boom could be produced very remotely, and what it could do as it relates to comparable comic-book harmonics. concussive burst, etc.

Last edited by Disappear on Mar 9th, 2006 at 06:54 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 06:51 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

a localized sonic boom.....hmmmm that would be awesome. What are the effects of a sonic boom in the atmosphere when a space shuttle goes up? like say if a bird was around enough to hear the boom....

Old Post Mar 9th, 2006 06:07 PM