KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Regarding titles of magicians.

Regarding titles of magicians.
Started by: Astner

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Regarding titles of magicians.

So I use the little spare time I have at the moment to do some research regarding various aspects of my work of fiction.

And I have always been interested in the title of arch-mage.

Now, what I've found out is that Merlin, as well, is a title -- and not a name -- originating from the Middle English and means eagle. Supposedly it's a title like Lion.

My question is, would it be odd if it was used as a title alongside arch-mage?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 05:22 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 03:47 PM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

I was half expecting that link to be action=logout

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 05:09 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Re: Regarding titles of magicians.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
So I use the little spare time I have at the moment to do some research regarding various aspects of my work of fiction.

And I have always been interested in the title of arch-mage.

Now, what I've found out is that Merlin, as well, is a title -- and not a name -- originating from the Middle English and means eagle. Supposedly it's a title like Lion.

My question is, would it be odd if it was used as a title alongside arch-mage?

IIRC, Merlin's original name was "Myrdin" or something along those lines but the author of the popular King Arthur story changed it to Merlin because the original name sounded too close to the French word for shit.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 01:19 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Re: Re: Regarding titles of magicians.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
IIRC, Merlin's original name was "Myrdin" or something along those lines but the author of the popular King Arthur story changed it to Merlin because the original name sounded too close to the French word for shit.

Myrddin Wyllt is not the magician figure of Arthurian legend.

Some would argue that Merlin was a name inspired by Myraddin while others -- like Marion Zimmer Bradley -- would argue that it's a title, based off of the Middle English word for eagle.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2012 08:41 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Like all decisions in personal writing, you'll have to choose which you like the best, or maybe mix a bunch of origin stories up that make sense to you.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2012 03:47 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by siriuswriter
Like all decisions in personal writing, you'll have to choose which you like the best, or maybe mix a bunch of origin stories up that make sense to you.

That much is obvious. Though in general you want to integrate familiar elements and concepts to avoid alienating your readers. But at the same time you don't want to "borrow" too much, because you want it to have its own identity.

Regardless I've come up with another name for the title that sounds better in my mind.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 01:57 PM