KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 'Nones' Now as Big as Evangelicals & Catholics in the US

'Nones' Now as Big as Evangelicals & Catholics in the US
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Take particular notice of the chart shown in the article (I've embedded it here also) and how steep the incline has been over the last 25 years or so. And the same with the Mainline religious on the decline. Now, of course that doesn't mean the "Nones" identify as atheist. The article mentions that it was only 22% or so of the Nones that are actual atheists, but it's still encouraging. I see this as an increase in the desire for secular rationality.

thumb up

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 11:30 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good news. I feel bad for the jews though.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 02:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur

It's not necessarily good news for you, Surt. It more than likely will cause a shift to more 'liberal' votes. **sarcastic shocked & horrified emoji**

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 05:54 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

That's cos they've hypnotized you though.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 06:17 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Y’all doing that thing again

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2019 06:23 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Good reason for not being afraid of self-labeling as an "atheist"...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:09 PM
dadudemon

This is good news, right?

Also, this is largely due to the internet and social media, IMO.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:21 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The news isn't good for baby jesus though.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:24 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by dadudemon
This is good news, right?

Yes, absolutely.

But very few of the 'Nones' admit to being "atheist," just no affiliation with a particular religion.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:25 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
It's not necessarily good news for you, Surt. It more than likely will cause a shift to more 'liberal' votes. **sarcastic shocked & horrified emoji**

'Left-wing' votes

Left-wing=/=right wing

You can be a right-wing liberal in the classical John Locke sense (such as myself), you can be an illiberal right-winger, you can be a left-wing liberal ie. a social liberal who actually believes in capitalism with a safetynet and social liberty, or you can be an illiberal left-winger who doesn't believe in capitalism and/or doesn't believe in social liberties like freedom of speech.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:31 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Also dafuq does "mainline" mean?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:32 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Also dafuq does "mainline" mean?

It's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The news isn't good for baby jesus though.

This baby dead now.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:35 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by dadudemon
It's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant

Oh good, so Christians as a whole still outnumber everyone else by a significant margin.

I wonder where I'd fall in that chart as a non-denominational Christian?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:50 PM
gold slorg
Restricted

Account Restricted

DMB cleaning house tbh

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:50 PM
gold slorg is currently offline Click here to Send gold slorg a Private Message Find more posts by gold slorg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I feel bad for the jews though.

Yeah what makes it worse IIRC, America has the second largest Jew population aside from Israel

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:51 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I wonder where I'd fall in that chart as a non-denominational Christian?

Probably mainline because you're not Catholic or evangelical, right?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:56 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yes, absolutely.

But very few of the 'Nones' admit to being "atheist," just no affiliation with a particular religion.

I would fir there too. I'm not an atheist, but I absolutely do not subscribe to a religion or religious doctrine or dogma

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 05:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Robtard
I would fir there too. I'm not an atheist, but I absolutely do not subscribe to a religion or religious doctrine or dogma

IIRC you're something of a deist right? I think I remember having a short convo with you about it.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 06:06 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Probably mainline because you're not Catholic or evangelical, right?

Not really sure how mainline a universal reconciliationist can be.

Edit: though apparently it used to be more mainline in the early days of the Church. Apparently there were six schools of thought in the early church relating to what happens after death, four of them were universal reconciliationist, one was the traditional heaven and hell, and one was anihilationist (those who **** up just stop existing rather than being tortured for eternity)

Last edited by Emperordmb on Apr 25th, 2019 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 06:08 PM