KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Is this a cheesy concept?

Is this a cheesy concept?
Started by: Astner

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Is this a cheesy concept?

An elf exiled to a realm of darkness, and manages to survive for centuries without the use of sight. When he emerges from this realm, he finds a witch and trades his eyes for a bow that never misses.

Where does this character fit it? Well he's suppose to be a character of child stories -- think Baba Yaga -- to keep eleven children from venturing too deep into the wood.

I came up with this idea yesterday and I'd like to get some input, because I'm a bit unsure as to whether this is a bit too much. Give me your two cents.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2012 05:28 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

There's no such thing as a concept that can't be turned into a good story.

That being said there are some concepts that are less practicable than others.

What you really need to ask yourself is what this character wants before you worry about the setting and the premise. If you have a good character with a direction that's compelling then a good plot should follow.

Of course that's the Literary Fiction angle...from a Genre Fiction angle just start writing and see if the story is cool/makes sense.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2012 11:34 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
There's no such thing as a concept that can't be turned into a good story.

That depends on the definition of what it means to retain a concept.

What you really need to ask yourself is what this character wants before you worry about the setting and the premise. If you have a good character with a direction that's compelling then a good plot should follow.

This is not intended to be a character that would be part of the greater scheme of things. The story is low-fantasy, elves are rare, and elves with magic weaponry are stuff of legends.

I've more detailed characters and arcs planned out, but I'll withhold them for the sakes of spoiling it.

Of course that's the Literary Fiction angle...from a Genre Fiction angle just start writing and see if the story is cool/makes sense.

Yes, but I was hoping for some detailed input.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2012 08:57 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I think it's pretty original to have a character struck with blindness. Then you have to use their other senses to describe what they're feeling, as sight is obviously the easiest thing to describe.

Using an elf as a character might be a little unoriginal - you mention that the character has to mind eleven children. I would make the character something that has experience minding kids - in fairy tales or fables, I've seemed to have noticed that a hedgehog is a kind of motherly creature. Or a bear.

But if you don't want to use an animal, I would try to think it out with a human. A teenaged archer? Plenty of room for flaws, plenty of room for virtues, having been 'lost in the woods' himself, he would be eager to keep the children out as well. You could turn this into a drama, a legend of a hero [especially if you follow the character through the future, and perhaps one day, through his deeds, he gets his eyes back?

If you're going for the fairy tale, there are probably some rules you should follow - you know, numbers are either twelve, seven or three, or thirteen if you have one is bad, if you do a good deed with great sacrifice to yourself, especially when you can't imagine any sort of reciprocity, you get rewarded for it, there are curses and blessings, it may seem as if untamed majick is kind of sparking the air, etc.

You know, an elf giving up his eyes is more unusual then I first thought, especially since in the general sense they are known to be great archers. It would be strange to give up the sense that most helps you to be an archer, especially if the character is taking a risk [i.e. doesn't get a chance to use the bow, or the bow looks completely usual, or even less than a bow, flawed or something.] Because without eyes you must trust instinct, gut feelings, faith, etc.

I think this it the beginning of a great story, especially if you try to plan the whole thing rather than just using the starting materials to just begin.

Good luck!

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2012 09:29 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Thanks for the input, I'll drop this character.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2012 09:51 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Astner
That depends on the definition of what it means to retain a concept.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

quote:

This is not intended to be a character that would be part of the greater scheme of things. The story is low-fantasy, elves are rare, and elves with magic weaponry are stuff of legends.

I've more detailed characters and arcs planned out, but I'll withhold them for the sakes of spoiling it.

If it's just a background character then I can only ask exactly what purpose the character would serve. If it's intended to be something fantastic/legendary within the story's context then "cheesy" might be the way to go.

quote:

Yes, but I was hoping for some detailed input.

Until I see what you've actually written it's impossible to say whether the concept works or not.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2012 12:54 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Originally posted by Astner
Thanks for the input, I'll drop this character.

Ugh, I hate to be responsible for a character killing! Just make sure you were thinking your own thoughts too!

ETA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you want a serious discussion about. I'm a rabid reader, all kinds of fiction. I've written a few of my own things too, so I'm a lot more confident with my decisions.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Last edited by siriuswriter on Apr 10th, 2012 at 03:48 AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2012 03:45 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

I really like the concept allot, i would not drop the character totally.

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 11:37 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

sounds like a fairy tale to me

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Apr 15th, 2012 01:16 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jim Colyer
Restricted

Account Restricted

Astner,

The plot seems a bit far-fetched as I am not much of a fantasy buff. It seems derived from movies of the previous decade.

Jim Colyer

Old Post Apr 29th, 2012 10:59 PM
Jim Colyer is currently offline Click here to Send Jim Colyer a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Colyer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Jim Colyer
Astner,

The plot seems a bit far-fetched as I am not much of a fantasy buff. It seems derived from movies of the previous decade.

Jim Colyer

It's not. But it was intended to have a very nostalgic fantasy-like touch to it. That said the idea is dropped.

Old Post May 20th, 2012 12:30 PM