KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » My personal top 10 Sci fi trilogy/saga/franchises

My personal top 10 Sci fi trilogy/saga/franchises
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

My personal top 10 Sci fi trilogy/saga/franchises

Hey everybody. Just wanted to share my personal top 10 sci-fi film franshises of all time. I gave it a lot of thought:

My judging, ranking, and consideration criteria:

A) How much I overall enjoy them

B) Had to have sci fi or strong fantasy elements (Magic, space, paranormal, science): I narrowed it down to that, hence why its in this forum. But if this were an all time faves list there would be some love for Riggs & Murtaugh, John Mclain, Jason Bourne, and James Bond

C) They're movies are movies: As in they havn't spun from some other visual medium. Adaptation from novels into a movie, thats one thing, but directly adapted or spinning off from videogames, TV, cartoons, and comic books into a movie; thats a different story. That's why Star trek is not on my list, nor are any of the DC and Marvel movies, or things like Transformers. Or anything that can also end up being remade and rebooted a thousand times over.

D) "The 1st movie is Awesome, 2nd & 3rd Sucks Ratio": Say you have a trilogy and 1 movie is awesome, while the other 2 stink, then its gonna rank lower. If 2 of them are good and one was just ok then it ranks higher.

#11-12
Some that didn't quite make my top ten list, in no particular order:

Robocop -First film is awesome, second is kinda stupid, third one......I think I watched it on TV, but left in the middle to go do something else.

2001 & 2010 -great flicks, didn't quite make it into my top 10. Hopefully we'll see the final adapation of Arthur C Clark with 2061: Odyssey 3, and 3001 The final Odyssey

#10 Jurassic Park
-First movie is a classic, 2nd is pretty stupid, 3rd i was pleasantly surprised. Who doesnt love Dinosaurs?

#9 Alien & Predator
-pre 2004 these would have ranked seperatley, but since the AVP movies they are now linked. I noticed at Best Buy you can buy a boxset that has the whole thing, 8 movies all together. I think only 4 of them are really any good. Predator 1 & 2, Alien 1 & 2. AVP could have been the coolest thing ever, but alas it was not meant to be.

#8 The Matrix
-We all love the first Matrix, and I actually liked the second a lot as well. The third was just bleh, but I thought the ending was fitting though.

#7 Pirates of the Carribean
-I actually didn't care for this that much at first, now I really like them.

#6 Ghostbusters
-This series had some serious potential and legs. Shame we only got two movies

#5 The Terminator
First two are great, I actually like the 3rd waaay more than I thought I would. Im really looking forward to the fourth installment, and I hope I like it.

#4 Indiana Jones
We all love the original 3. I liked Crystal skull, which even I was surprised. Though I seriously think at this point Indy has seen everything. No more please.

#3 Star Wars
-A couple of years ago these would have been balls to the wall, dead on, numero uno all the way with me. Though over the years i've wised up some. The legacy of Star wars has been tainted by some odd changes and over all bad movie making, but it still rocks. These films get rankings all there own from best to worst: ANH,ESB,ROTS,ROTJ,TPM,AOTC

#2 Lord of the Rings
-I prefer the extended editions. These movies are if anything picture perfect. Story, musical score, acting, editing, visual FX........ everything is A+. Lets see what happens if the Hobbit is ever made.

#1 Back to the Future
-To be honest with you it only donned on me a few weeks ago this is my favorite sci film franchise ever. They're not "picture perfect", but I enjoy them immensly. They have a huge amount of charm and they are quotable as hell. Everything from saying "1.21 Gigawatts!" to doing George Mcfly's stupid laugh. Its all classic. Recently with the "BOBS" announcing they'll never do a part IV, its comforting to know these movies are gonna stay as they are.

Thats it from me. Whats your guy's top ten?

Last edited by OB1-adobe on Mar 22nd, 2009 at 08:04 PM

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 07:57 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

1: Starwars
2: Matrix
3: Alien(s)
4: Cube
5: Terminator
6: serenity/firefly (not sure if this counts though)

Can't think of anymore i'd list at the moment to be honest.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 08:41 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Cube guy has a new film coming out soon called Splice, there is a topic in the horror section.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 07:11 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

My Top 10.

The Thing
Starship Troopers
Event Horizon
Total Recall
T2
The Running Man
Cube
Predator
Alien 3
Robocop 2

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 09:21 PM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Am I missing something or are Total Recall and Event Horizon not part of saga/franchises/trilogies?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 09:42 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
The Cube guy has a new film coming out soon called Splice, there is a topic in the horror section.

I shall endevour to visit and read forthwith my fair maiden of knowledge. I thank thee for thy passing of thine information.

Or something.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 09:43 PM
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
Am I missing something or are Total Recall and Event Horizon not part of saga/franchises/trilogies?

Neither is The Running Man. Its my Top 10 Sci-Fi, not franchises.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 12:56 AM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ah. I just thought with the thread title specifying "trilogy/saga/franchises" there was something i missed.

Yes, I'm being a smartass. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 10:39 AM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

There is a top 10 sci fi film topic somewhere. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 05:28 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok well if you wanna play it like this the first poster has Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, and Lord of the Rings in his top 'franchises', yeah sure they are franchises but they are ADVENTURE franchises, not Sci Fi.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 09:05 PM
Mr. Rhythmic

Terminator. 'Nuff said.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 09:11 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are you looking forwards to Salvation?

quote:
Ok well if you wanna play it like this the first poster has Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, and Lord of the Rings in his top 'franchises', yeah sure they are franchises but they are ADVENTURE franchises, not Sci Fi.

Read his rules.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2009 10:52 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Star Wars
Star Trek
Terminator
Aliens
Matrix
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones
Predator
Back to the Future

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 12:17 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer11
Stalker

Star Wars
Star Trek
Terminator
Aliens
Ghostbusters
Jurassic Park
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones
Predator
Back to the Future

Thanks to Scythe for the sig and avatar.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 02:33 AM
Wanderer11 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer11 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

I was thinking about my top ten and the other day I realized theres kind of six degrees of seperation, or Kevin Bacon, or whatever that game is called. Like the planets aligned or something, but there are some wierd connections going on here with the casts of these 10 favorite franchises of mine. Its seems that Sigourney Weaver is the connector here.

Check this out:

Sigourney Weaver who played Dana Barret in Ghostbusters was also in the Alien franchise.

In Alien she co-starred with John Hurt and Ian Holm. In Aliens she co-starred with Micheal Beihn, Bill Paxton, Lance Henrickson, and Janette Goldstien. In Alien 3 she co-starred with Pete Postlewaite. In Alien Ressurection she costarred with Brad Dourif.

-John Hurt who played Kane was also in Indiana jones and the Crystal Skull as the character Ox co-starring with Harrison Ford who played Han Solo in Star wars. Han Solo was captured by Boba Fett, and Boba's father Jango Fett was killed by Mace Windu who was played by Samuel L Jackson who was also in Jurassic Park. In addition, Christopher Lee was in Attack of the clones and Revenge of the sith also played Sauroman in Lord of the rings who also starred John Ryhs Davis who also played Sala in Indiana Jones

-Ian Holm who played the android Ash also played Bilbo Baggins in Lord of the rings who also starred Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and Hugo Weaving. Orlando Bloom also played Will Turner in Pirates of the carribean, Hugo Weaving was also Agent Smith in the Matrix, and Elijah wood was one of the kids who watched Marty Mcfly play Wild Gunman in the 80's cafe in Back to the Future II.

-Michael Beihn, Bill Paxton, and Lance Henrickson were all in Terminator which starred Arnold Swarzenegger who was also in Predator. Bill Paxton was also in Predator 2 as well, Jannet Goldstein played the step mom in Terminator 2, and Lance Henrickson popped up again in AVP.

-Pete Postlewait played wan of the inmates in Alein 3 also played Roland in Jurassic Park Lost World.

-Brad Dourif who played one of the scientsits cloning Ripley also played Worm Tongue in Lord of the Rings.

Weird Huh! I know theres more, the more I think about it.

Though I think a lot of this has to do with 3 things

1. Directors, like James Cameron, like to re-use the same actors over and over again.

2. People like Michael Beihn, Bill Paxton, Sigourney Weaver, and Orlando Bloom were at their Prime and getting tons of role offers constantly to be in these big budget block buster films.

3.These actors like doing these films in general, and or get type cast

Old Post Mar 30th, 2009 05:05 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Seriously Back to the future was your number 1?? the first one was great, but after that it was just stupid with the whole time travel paradox with going ahead in time to see yourself. isn't going to happen since you left the present to go to the future and there wouldn't be a duplicate of you created to carry on for 30 years, you would just cease to exist for those 30 years. (in my opinion)
Having said that here are my top 10
1. Star wars (all six) of course
2. Lord of the rings (extended editions)
3. Star trek 2,6,8,4,3,1 (all the rest never happened as far as i am concered and Kirk didn't die like a panzy)
4. Predator (1 and 2)
5. Aliens (1 and 2) the others never happened.
6.Terminator 1-3 looking forward to 4
7. Transformers have to wait to see what #2 is like.
8. Indiana jones all 4
9. Matrix (all 3)
10. AVP (1 and 2) They weren't bad, but not great but better than alien 3 and 4

Pirates of the carribean didn't make it cause i only like the first one after that it got stupid

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 04:29 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

You bring up his Back to the Future, yet put the Alien Vs Predator movies in your list... Alien3 and Resurrection are masterpieces compared.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 04:40 PM
darthmaul1

Doubt that Alien 3 and Resurrection are master pieces, if they were smart they would start the franchies again right after Aliens.
AVP was good not as good as predator 1 or 2 or alien and aliens, but it introduced the Weyland company and some good qualities to it. AVPR had the gore going for it atleast, and it introduced the yutani company. I was entertained the only thing i didn't like about it was the fact that it was way to dark (as in couldn't see anything.) I would like to see 3rd one directed by an actual director and not some special effects guys, that would completly link AVP to the alien movie. Once that is done they can move on to different times and planets for future AVP, Predator, and aliens movies

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 06:46 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Doubt that Alien 3 and Resurrection are master pieces, if they were smart they would start the franchies again right after Aliens.

Read my post carefully next time stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 08:32 PM
Czab

This is my personal favorite list with my own criteria, I count TV-shows as a franchise too!

1. Babylon 5 (Simply the best!)

2. Star Trek (Star Trek is such a huge franchise, there's a lot of crappy stuff in it, but also a lot of good stuff. So overall I like Star Trek)

3. Star Wars (The Original trilogy is my childhood favorite, and it will always have a place in my heart, even though the prequel trilogy is mostly crap)

4. Doctor Who 2005 (I find this refreshingly different than those American scifi shows. I love the combination of humour, horror and adventure. I'm talking about seasons 1-4. After that the show turns into shit)

5. Stargate (An entertaining show, it's not mind-blowingly great, but I do like it)

Well, I guess I only had a Top 5 smile

Old Post May 3rd, 2012 12:24 AM
Czab is currently offline Click here to Send Czab a Private Message Find more posts by Czab Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote