KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » What makes a great Superman Story?

What makes a great Superman Story?
Started by: Newjak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

What makes a great Superman Story?

Everyone has different opinions especially on the Man of Steel.

So what does each poster think makes a great Superman or great Superman story

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 28th, 2012 01:01 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
Everyone has different opinions especially on the Man of Steel.

So what does each poster think makes a great Superman or great Superman story

1. I forget where I first heard this: I think it was part of a conversation between Batman and Wonder Woman. One of them said something like, "For all his [Superman's] power, he never abuses it." And the other responded, "And that is what makes him truly Superman."

I would like to see this referenced in a live-action story. In a world where violence is worshipped, anti-heroes are "cool," and standing by principles of compassion and justice is "so 20th century," there can be nothing more deeply inspiring than the personification of the best of humanity, the incarnation of what we should all strive for [cue theme music from TV's "Adventures of Superman"].

2. Superman really cutting loose. Let the world know why he is among the most powerful characters in comicdom. Continent-lifting is a good place to start; also, how he worked over Darkseid in the animated series. Superman should also have the heavy musculature to back it up. (So far, Cavill seems to be fitting this bill.)

3. Overall good writing and character development. This is what makes any story and transcends genre. Also: the actors should be at least 30 years old (unless the story specifically highlights Clark's younger days).

4. No skinny, boney-a$$ed actresses playing Lois Lane! I'm still reeling from Bosworth. Durance was good (she looks even better as a brunette, plus she fits the age criteria noted above. If only Cavill was a few years older to really hone in the look of a Superman).

5. No spandex. MoS seems to have hit the nail right on the head here.

For now, that is all.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2012 04:42 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackWind

I I have always thought that beat Superman story is something that cannot be solved with his powers alone. Many I think that Superman is a boring character just because of how powerful he is, believing that any opposition a problem he made things he could just simply solve it lickity split. But to challenge him, its better to oppose him in a non physical way.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2012 08:16 AM
BlackWind is currently offline Click here to Send BlackWind a Private Message Find more posts by BlackWind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Originally posted by BlackWind
I I have always thought that beat Superman story is something that cannot be solved with his powers alone. Many I think that Superman is a boring character just because of how powerful he is, believing that any opposition a problem he made things he could just simply solve it lickity split. But to challenge him, its better to oppose him in a non physical way.

It's thoughts like this that gave us Lex Mother F***ING Luthor as Superman's villain for every damn movie! I love Lex but come on! Every movie? No one else could shine?

He needs to combat foes that are his equal physically. Or greater! He needs to show that he is "Superman" for a reason.

I know he fought the Kryptonians and that weird fingernail guy but it still seemed that his real enemy was Luthor. I'd just rather see someone else behind the mayhem some times

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Last edited by juggerman on Oct 1st, 2012 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 01:35 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

If they use Lex again for ****'s sake get him using his armoured suit.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 01:58 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Pre-Crisis style Superdickery evil face

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 02:19 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Endless Mike
laughing out loud

I like some of the answers going on here.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 03:14 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Originally posted by Kazenji
If they use Lex again for ****'s sake get him using his armoured suit.

thumb up

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Oct 1st, 2012 03:24 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Originally posted by Endless Mike

(please log in to view the image)

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Oct 8th, 2012 12:35 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote