KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
Started by: Röland

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Röland
Masked Vigilante

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

After seeing the movie a few people told me that I have to find the book and read it as soon as possible.

I had heard it was a very dark book and I started reading expecting nothing too shocking. Boy was I wrong. I am not disturbed easily by things but some of the detail that Ellis goes into with this book is very eerie. From the get go this book starts off dark and never quits. Ellis does great job making a satire of the 80's culture and lifestylel. I highly recommend this book but be prepared it can get very graphic.

Thoughts?

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2007 04:12 AM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

"Ellis does great job making a satire of the 80's culture and lifestylel"...then you should reference the quote. My old professor taught me that.

As for the book, it taught me all I know about shaving and skin-care. Thanks, Bret!

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2007 11:11 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Most overrated book of all time.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2007 08:09 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

No, that accolade would go to the Bible.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 12:19 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ooo er American Psycho is the only Ellis book I have to read now from the man. My life is not complete.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2007 11:38 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

the movie REALLY sucks balls.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 04:34 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

I just finished the book and I have mixed feelings. I like the perspective it takes on the 80s lifestyle. But at the same time, I found the book to be really repetetive and tasteless. Even though Im sure Ellis wrote that way deliberately, I felt like it got old fast and the book as a whole was very underwhelming.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 02:52 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

less than zero>>>>american psycho. even though the movie version of the former is an abomination.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 05:27 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I just finished the book and I have mixed feelings. I like the perspective it takes on the 80s lifestyle. But at the same time, I found the book to be really repetetive and tasteless. Even though Im sure Ellis wrote that way deliberately, I felt like it got old fast and the book as a whole was very underwhelming.

I'm reading the book right now and I see what you mean (I'm about a hundred pages in).

I'm a huge fan of the movie, which I think is great/amazing, but the book seems far more drawn out (ie: explaining what everyone is wearing in WAY too vivid detail all the time).

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Feb 19th, 2007 08:43 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PONG_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry to bring this back, but I have to put in my two cents because I just finished reading this a week or two ago.

First of all - This was a great book to me. Maybe not the same greatness as some classic book that a high schooler should read for his or her senior English class, but it definitely appealed to me more than any book I've recently read. It could be because I saw the movie first so I had a lot of visuals already put in my head (Ex. - I imagined Patrick Bateman as Christian Bale and Evelyn as Reese Witherspoon).

Aside from all of that bullsh*t (I seem to keep getting off track) - I f*cking loved it. I loved the pure morbidity of it, and yeah - I agree with you all that have said how disturbing it was because of the amount of detail that Ellis would go into when describing the way Patrick would murder or torture people. Everything was so detailed, and I loved it. I could imagine everything so easily, except for when he'd describe what everyone was wearing. I don't know shit about business suits or fashionable wear for women back in the 80s, so I'd quickly skim through all of that.

Sometimes it'd be kind of a relief to read something besides Patrick brutally killing someone. The little side story with him and Jean in a restaurant and talking about Jean being in love with him was a nice breath of fresh air from all of the eye gouging, limb ripping, and flesh cooking. Ellis did a great job fitting this in because it gave the book a balance to me and it also developed Patrick's character more by showing his not-so-"f*ck-you" side and explaining how Jean saw the Patrick Bateman she was in love with. ...Or maybe it's just cos I'm a girl that I found that part to be real nice.

Either way, this was the most entertaining book I've read in a while. I literally couldn't put it down sometimes.

As far as the movie goes, I still enjoy it but now that I watch it, I feel like things are being left out and everything is going unexplained. I loved how much the book explained, and in the movie when Patrick tells his lawyer over the phone that he's killed "40, maybe 50 people" or something - I was kind of like, "What? No f*cking way." cos the movie didn't really suggest he killed more than who we did see him kill except for one or two times. But in the book, that line had much more to back it up because it does seem like he kills one person after another. I liked that the movie used a bunch of direct dialogue from the book and it seems like the director wanted to stick to the book as much as possible while doing a little twisting of her own.

My only question is: What the hell was up with the sudden third person point of view in the part when the cops are chasing him??

Hello bebe.

Last edited by PONG_MASTER on Jul 26th, 2007 at 02:48 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2007 02:43 PM
PONG_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send PONG_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by PONG_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i loved american psycho...the portrayal of someone with so obvious an obsessive compulsive disorder is staggering...

this is evident not so much in bateman's descriptions of the violence but the peripherals...what camera he uses with what lens and what type of tape and at what speed.

the chapters of huey lewis and the news etc also show the characters sheers obsessive personality

obviously the scenes of violence are astounding also but i dont think this defines the book in the way that the media hyped it to be at the time of its release some 13 years ago

if you are a fan of the book you should check out what is essentially a sequel to it...Lunar Park...which is a far more balanced and better written book

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2007 09:25 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Laviera_j
Kadehadaire_Mage_:)

You have to look beyond the gore, it serves a purpose, true, but there is a hidden message, a very ironic, darkly funny satire embedded within it. The film was funny!

Work that magic!
Work that magic!

All at the KMC tig! BOPrecruit16,Raven Guardia, charmaine,Exa, Tela,Nabokonir, cheekymunkey,airangel,tassie,ADSkinner,airangel429
,Eez! Everybody!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2007 03:19 PM
Laviera_j is currently offline Click here to Send Laviera_j a Private Message Find more posts by Laviera_j Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Great novel, better movie.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 17th, 2007 10:33 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PONG_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Great novel, better movie.

Shove it.

Hello bebe.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2007 09:26 PM
PONG_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send PONG_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by PONG_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by PONG_MASTER
Shove it.

WHAT??? HUH???

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 18th, 2007 09:36 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

I heard in the book the main character is even more of a dick. I think I'll check out this book sometime.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 05:32 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
opioamphetabot

pitch black humor perfected

Ellis' Masterpiece, American Psycho, as I read on i'M beginning to better understand the novel . Simultaneously, I'm catching on to the constant sarcastic tone, and Bateman is spiraling deeper into a depraved insanity. The subtle yet unrelenting sarcasm that Ellis has filled this book with, I first determined as serious. So as I read the first 70 or so pgs, I was horrified and appalled by Bateman's behavior, hardly catching onto a lot of the humor. Not to say I wasn't thoroughly enjoying the first quarter of the book, but due to my misinterpretation of tone and mood, it felt like i was reading a horror story. One grizzly scene in this first portion of the book rivals Palahniuk's short story "Guts" is the amount of discomfort and level of disturbance. Since I was genuinely enjoying the book, I trucked on ahead, rewarded with priceless moments of absurdity involving a delusional, increasingly violent, and often simply confused Bateman. Its the monotony, the subtle absurdities sprinkled throughout the pages, that lead me to re-labeling the genre Black Humor. Not dark, BLACK. We'll call Weekend at Bernie's dark humor. The comedic undertones of Am. Psycho is many shades darker than "'Bernie's"

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 01:59 AM
opioamphetabot is currently offline Click here to Send opioamphetabot a Private Message Find more posts by opioamphetabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote