KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Is cyclops a good leader/tactician

Is cyclops a good leader/tactician
Started by: Shadow0101

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shadow0101

Is cyclops a good leader/tactician

Overall how do you view cyclops as a leader/tactician?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 06:59 PM
Shadow0101 is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow0101 a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow0101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Second only to Cap in some cases, superior in others.

At the very least, one of the best tacticians/strategists/leaders in Marvel.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 09:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Yeah he is one of the best. Leadership was actually one of his powers in the X-men legends games along with Storm.

Tactician wise he is only second to Cap personally.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 03:27 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Behind Cap

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 04:38 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

* while Captain America was said to be the best leader and tactician in Marvel, Cyclops (esp. in the recent arcs before AvX) is shown to be better than Cap in most areas... in some instances they were together, Cyke ordered field tactics impromptu (when they are in the Negative Zone with Hope and Namor) and Cap obeyed like a soldier from a general... but most of the times, Cyke treats Cap with utmost respect, albeit because of his age, stature, position in government, etc., often addressing Cap as "sir"... given the age gap between them and their leadership and strategic skills are in paper-thin close, Cyke has the potential to surpass Cap...

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 05:27 PM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

He's fairly good until his personal life causes professional problems. Other than the X-Force problem and schism, he did cause inferno and all of its consequences.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:15 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That was more Sinister, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 01:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-

This.

Guy has been leading since he was a teenager.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:07 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

That was more Sinister, imo.

Yes, I'm sure Sinister made him abandon his wife and kid and then hide his marriage from Jean and then avoid contacting Maddie after she disappeared and was nearly beaten to death by the Marauders and assumed that some random, horribly beaten redhead was Maddie and that his kid was dead. That's kind of why I like the original X-Factor it's three washed-up guys trying to regain their glory, a recently dead chick, and a horribly repressed walking nutcase being manipulated into starting a superhero team and hurting their own best interests by a genocidal terrorist posing as their friend.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 05:55 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Yes, I'm sure Sinister made him abandon his wife and kid and then hide his marriage from Jean and then avoid contacting Maddie after she disappeared and was nearly beaten to death by the Marauders and assumed that some random, horribly beaten redhead was Maddie and that his kid was dead. That's kind of why I like the original X-Factor it's three washed-up guys trying to regain their glory, a recently dead chick, and a horribly repressed walking nutcase being manipulated into starting a superhero team and hurting their own best interests by a genocidal terrorist posing as their friend.

He didn't abandon his wife and kid.

Besides, Maddie had already been in his head at this point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 01:31 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

What would you call walking out the door on his crying screaming wife and kid in X-Factor #1?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 10:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

What would you call walking out the door on his crying screaming wife and kid in X-Factor #1?

He was always going to come back, and iirc never said anything about wanting to end their marriage.

And when they went missing he was the one travelling across america trying to find her.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 01:49 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Yeah, after months of "nah, I won't call her, she dosn't pick up and she probably hates me and I definitely won't ask the X-Men...". It took Jean pressuring him after she coaxed the story out of him and Cameron Hodge leading him to a Daredevil style psychosis to go search for her. And then he sees the first redhead in a morgue, decides it's her, forgets his son, takes down Mastermold, and comes back in time to not prevent his friend's supposed suicide. Awesome.
As I recall, When those first 20 or so issues of X-Factor came out, people weren't defending Cyclops, they were going after Marvel exactly for the fact that they brought back Jean in a fashion that turned Scott Summers into an Ass Hole.
That's was one of the main themes of the original X-Factor's run (and possibly even before the with X-Men 201). Scott being horrible, facing the consequences of his actions, and then atoning for them.

Last edited by Darth Jello on Jul 11th, 2012 at 03:34 AM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 03:30 AM
dyajeep

* yes, it's the writers' fault, that's why they retconned some of it, like Madelyne messing Scott's head in his leadership duel against Storm... as far as i recall, the writers planned to make Scott and Madelyne "live happily ever after", and having him guest-star in X-men series in special occasions... but they really want to revive the original five X-men as the X-Terminators (X-Factor), so they went for it --- at Scott's expense... sad

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 07:44 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah, after months of "nah, I won't call her, she dosn't pick up and she probably hates me and I definitely won't ask the X-Men...". It took Jean pressuring him after she coaxed the story out of him and Cameron Hodge leading him to a Daredevil style psychosis to go search for her. And then he sees the first redhead in a morgue, decides it's her, forgets his son, takes down Mastermold, and comes back in time to not prevent his friend's supposed suicide. Awesome.
As I recall, When those first 20 or so issues of X-Factor came out, people weren't defending Cyclops, they were going after Marvel exactly for the fact that they brought back Jean in a fashion that turned Scott Summers into an Ass Hole.
That's was one of the main themes of the original X-Factor's run (and possibly even before the with X-Men 201). Scott being horrible, facing the consequences of his actions, and then atoning for them.

I'm not saying that what he did was right, or that it was moral; I just don't consider it abandonment, because while it might have looked that way from Maddie's side, it never did on Cyclops' side.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 10:56 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Obviously the intention is that Cyclops is supposed to be a great leader and tactician. So he is up there with the best.

Now like most comic characters if you took the time to actually break down his plans you would probably think he wasn't but that's most comic characters.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 01:33 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by peejayd
* yes, it's the writers' fault, that's why they retconned some of it, like Madelyne messing Scott's head in his leadership duel against Storm... as far as i recall, the writers planned to make Scott and Madelyne "live happily ever after", and having him guest-star in X-men series in special occasions... but they really want to revive the original five X-men as the X-Terminators (X-Factor), so they went for it --- at Scott's expense... sad

Actually, the more I think about it, Cyclops' whole Arc from Uncanny X-Men 198 through 201, then through all of the classic X-Factor and up to the mid-90's really is a good story of coming of age, fall, and redemption.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 03:57 AM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Originally posted by Newjak
Obviously the intention is that Cyclops is supposed to be a great leader and tactician. So he is up there with the best.

Now like most comic characters if you took the time to actually break down his plans you would probably think he wasn't but that's most comic characters.

For Kuurth alone, in the short span of time that they knew about him, he came up with over 26 plans to take him down.

Mayor: What if this doesn't stop him?
Cyclops: We go to Plan B.
Mayor: Plan B? You just keep going until you get to Z?
Cyclops: That would insinuate I only have 26 plans.

Not verbatim, but something along those lines.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 04:14 AM
KingD19 is online now! Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jynocidus
Sadly, you're the proof..

Overall, I'd say Cyclops is a good leader/tactician. Great, actually.

T-Shirts Coming Soon! XD

Old Post Jul 13th, 2012 10:21 AM
Jynocidus is currently offline Click here to Send Jynocidus a Private Message Find more posts by Jynocidus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sabretooth
I was dead. I got better.

This.

Not this.

"Leader" and "tactician" are really seperate skills and don't necessarily go together.

Leader:
I think it's unfair to compare Scott to cosmic-level characters and gods, so we'll just keep it restricted to Earth.

Ignoring what happens when you put Cyclops in a room with a hot telepath unsupervised, and focus ONLY on his performance during combat and team interaction, he is in the top ten but not the top five leaders. Cap, Fury, Doom, Magneto and T'challa command more respect and loyalty in my opinion. Keep in mind that three of these men have ruled their own countries, the collection of M day survivors Scott leads is simply not as impressive in comparison.

Tactician:
This is my comfort zone. I have been studying real-life tacticians and strategists all my life.

Once again, Cyclops in in the top ten, but can't crack the top five. Given equal strength forces and battle conditions, I think Cap, Fury, Doom, Sage and Mentac, The Living Computer (look him up!) could beat him. Reed Richards could beat Scott if he had proper time to plan, and Cable could beat him if there was no time to plan and all decisions would have to be made on the fly during combat. There is also the Gamesmaster, but I won't count him since he might all well be cosmic. Smart Alec deserves honorable mention as well, but can't handle the pressure of combat. He'd smash Scott at a game of chess though.

I know it seems like I'm bashing, but I'm really not trying to. The company Cyclops is in regarding leadership and tactics is quite impressive.

p.s.
Darth. Stop it now. Just stop. Take it from me, trying to convince Cyclops fanboys that their guy is a dirtbag is like trying to teach Zen to a bunch of monkeys. You won't succeed and you will get frustrated.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2012 01:43 AM
Sabretooth is currently offline Click here to Send Sabretooth a Private Message Find more posts by Sabretooth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote