KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Films that start well and end terribly

Films that start well and end terribly
Started by: jamewages

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jamewages
Restricted

Account Restricted

Films that start well and end terribly

I've been rewatching the Bond films recently, and I realised that a fairly common theme is that many of them have a really strong first hour or so then suddenly decline in quality and go out with a whimper - sometimes they go completely off the rails, sometimes they go nowhere, sometimes they jump the shark massively. Examples:

Thunderball - great first hour with an intriguing plot and genuinely engaging characters - then it descends into endless underwater sequences and nothing much else, and by the end is intensely boring.

Moonraker - it does not need the space sections at all. I wouldn't say the first hour is great, to be honest, but it's a hell of a lot better than what follows, which is basically a poor man's Star Wars.

Quantum of Solace - in the second half of the film, all the most interesting characters disappear to varying degrees, the film rushes into a half-baked conclusion, and the final scenes are a mess.

And it got me thinking about other films that do this - I would say Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Spider-Man 3, and The Island all go completely insane in their second half after relatively enjoyable first halves. What other films would you suggest and why?

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 09:58 AM
jamewages is currently offline Click here to Send jamewages a Private Message Find more posts by jamewages Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Spider-Man 3 was terrible the whole way through. As soon as the Venom symbiotte just randomly shot out of the sky and landed right next to him I was already face palming in the cinema.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 11:50 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

This seems like more of a movie discussion topic instead of one just for comic book movies.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 12:07 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
This seems like more of a movie discussion topic instead of one just for comic book movies.
Seems like an ad spammer thread. Check the sig.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 02:04 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Closing down the thread

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2013 03:01 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote