KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Krypton spaceflight (idea)

Krypton spaceflight (idea)
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Krypton spaceflight (idea)

One of the things about the Superman mythos that always bugged me was the idea that Krypton was supposed to be such an advanced civilization, yet they only had one or two spaceships they could evacuate the planet in, and no one (or almost no one) was offworld when it exploded.

Various explanations have been given for this, usually along the lines of the Kryptonians giving up or getting bored of space travel, but that never made much sense to me.

So how about this: They gave up on manned space travel, because they figured that it was cheaper and easier to explore the universe with robotic probes. So Superman/Supergirl/et. al. will still be the last surviving Kryptonians, but there will be all of these probes and robots out there, you could have stories with Superman investigating them to discover more about his people, or fighting them if they become hostile, etc.

Just an idea I had... I know the DCAU version of Brainiac is sort of like this, but not quite what I have in mind.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 10:56 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Pretty sure it was because Kryptonians were homophobic in a way. They didn't want there civilizations to be intermingled with other races, save a few Kryptonians.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 04:03 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

xenophobic.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 04:05 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I though about involving the Guardians of the Universe on the Destruction of Krypton, pretty much like when they altered the Martian's DNA on the JLA comics.

I also like the idea of being xenophobic.

The probes sound good too.

But having an external influence like Darkseid, Brainiac or some big name villain in the destruction of the kryptonian race is one of the ideas that I like the most

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2013 04:30 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I hate to say it, but the crossover idea of Galactus having destroyed Krypton: that gave me da chills.

What I've pondered is how Kryptonians can be so human in appearance, humans can't tell the difference, yet they're that different, that they become godlike under our sun (which does nothing of the sort for us). Sup wit dat?

Possible answer: both come from a common stock, progenitor humanoid race (eg, like the Preservers of ST:TOS), seeding the universe with variations of their original genome. This would actually explain all the humanoid races in the DCverse (just like it did in Trek, according to "The Paradise Syndrome").

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 12:48 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindship
I hate to say it, but the crossover idea of Galactus having destroyed Krypton: that gave me da chills.

What I've pondered is how Kryptonians can be so human in appearance, humans can't tell the difference, yet they're that different, that they become godlike under our sun (which does nothing of the sort for us). Sup wit dat?

Possible answer: both come from a common stock, progenitor humanoid race (eg, like the Preservers of ST:TOS), seeding the universe with variations of their original genome. This would actually explain all the humanoid races in the DCverse (just like it did in Trek, according to "The Paradise Syndrome").

You have to figure the supernatural side of the DCU into this too, considering there are gods that govern/affect the multiverse(s).

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 4th, 2013 04:14 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Endless Mike
You have to figure the supernatural side of the DCU into this too, considering there are gods that govern/affect the multiverse(s).
Darn those multiversal gods.

(please log in to view the image)

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2013 03:04 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatoniaBarry

I also like the idea of being xenophobic.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2013 04:59 AM
LatoniaBarry is currently offline Click here to Send LatoniaBarry a Private Message Find more posts by LatoniaBarry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote